Topic: A cool website  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
A cool website
« on: February 26, 2014, 03:10:22 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:23:28 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: A cool website
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:12:46 pm »
pretty neat, even if it hasn't been updated in a long time. Some interesting designs therein.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 03:18:05 pm »
I know what you mean, Adam, and I wonder, whither Star Trek? Or rather, Trek fandom? While at times it seems like the fans are going strong, there are plenty of sites I once had bookmarked that have disappeared. A change in tastes, maybe? Perhaps fewer people are making their own "corner" of Trek-dom, whether it be clubs, fiction, games (like ours). That said, as the admin for a metropolitan ST group, I've been surprised in the last year at the "youngsters" that have shown up at meetings, kids in their teens (and 20s) who grew up after most of what is ST went off the air but still found the appeal of it. (OK, so did I, as in TOS went into syndication the year I started watching, 1970, but then new stuff started showing up)

A side note - TBS has a reality/game show called "King of the Nerds," pitting a house full of nerds against each other. Silly fun, but the theme of last week's was "Star Trek vs Star Wars," culminating in a debate. During the debate it was noted that, in things like Facebook, "Wars" has more "likes" than "Trek," so maybe Trekkies are less numerous but more... committed? Dedicated? The pro-Trek side won the debate, naturally :)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 04:30:18 pm »
We'll see what the Disnefication of Star Wars has in store for us soon when Rebels comes out next fall. It already looks more cartoony than Clone Wars (if that is even possible). I still can't believe that Lucas, after all these years of being the maverick rebel outsider from Hollywood, sold out to the biggest example of the Evil Empire that there is.  ;D

As far as how Trek has gone since TNG jumped into the movies, it's been like watching a train wreck in slow motion. It's horrifying, but I can't tear my eyes away. I have never seen such a disconnect between creator and audience. It is so simple to make a Star Trek story and they managed to botch it up almost every time. Voyager's "quick scheme of the week" seems like genius compared to what the movies have put out and all of their two parters were better than any of the movies in scope and execution. I thought Enterprise was a bad idea all around, but when they did that two part Mirror Mirror/Tholian Web (In A Mirror Darkly) mashup and made it all work I was impressed and entertained. That's more that I can say for any of the new movies except First Contact.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:05:05 pm »
It's unfortunate you guys are such purists.

We've been having a blast on Star Trek Online, and considering it happens in the "Prime" universe, you're seeing the continuing evolution of said universe.

Being a part of this is fun, and the level of customization and personalization for starships,  I'd have thought you'd have persisted and joined in by now.

As I said, unfortunate.

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:40:34 pm »
...and the level of customization and personalization for starships...

That's enough to make me not want to play right there. I just don't agree with that style of philosophy for that type of game.

As far as the movie/TV side of it, I just want a good story that doesn't seem like a 4x retread of everything we have seen before or a half-assed "reimagining" of stuff I was done with twenty years ago.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 04:02:12 pm »
You mean you don't like starships having varieties of weapons from every single race ever known? :laugh:

In a real life navy that makes sense, but in terms of gameplay, the strong racial flavor with signature weapons that is in SFB works better.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 07:37:13 pm »
Those some real nice ones Frey especially the Ecselsior one.I do stick with traditional weapons in Star Trek Online except on my Fed which uses anti protons cannons.