Topic: Please help - I am so close to getting this...  (Read 5096 times)

Offline virag0

• Lt. Junior Grade
Please help - I am so close to getting this...
« on: March 22, 2014, 04:40:12 am »
Hi,
 let me fill you in on my progress - I have had EAW running on a Mac (intel) via WINE for about a year now, with the SP Campaigns.  I have just worked out how to
enable the Multiplayer without it crashing.   I have just got a D2 Server running - it seems to be anyway.  I can telnet to the ports 27100 and it has been running for over three hours with the
following log output:

Code: [Select]
Info: Turn 15 Year 0 Stardate 2263.15 (144 Turns/Year 600000 ms/Turn) Server started: Sat Mar 22 16:57:13 2014

Info: Turn 16 Year 0 Stardate 2263.16 (144 Turns/Year 600000 ms/Turn) Server started: Sat Mar 22 16:57:13 2014

Info: Turn 17 Year 0 Stardate 2263.17 (144 Turns/Year 600000 ms/Turn) Server started: Sat Mar 22 16:57:13 2014

Info: Turn 18 Year 0 Stardate 2263.18 (144 Turns/Year 600000 ms/Turn) Server started: Sat Mar 22 16:57:13 2014

Info: Turn 19 Year 0 Stardate 2263.19 (144 Turns/Year 600000 ms/Turn) Server started: Sat Mar 22 16:57:13 2014

Info: Turn 20 Year 0 Stardate 2263.20 (144 Turns/Year 600000 ms/Turn) Server started: Sat Mar 22 16:57:13 2014

Info: Turn 21 Year 0 Stardate 2263.21 (144 Turns/Year 600000 ms/Turn) Server started: Sat Mar 22 16:57:13 2014

Now this is good and it so far does not seem to be crashing, but I do not have one crucial piece of information:

When I go to the MP screens in EAW, I get the "Welcome to Dynaverse", MOTD "Checking for patches" screen, with a Login, Passwd, Nickname &
two blacked out buttons.  Now, I gave it the IP address for my D2 server, but I do not know where to get this login/passwd - is this something to do
with "Gamespy" which I actually have never used...?  What do I need to do next, to get those little buttons lit up and my login connected?

I am so close, I can almost taste it - I am also proficient in MySQL and intend to setup with that once I get used to this.  I am waiting for payment to clear on SFC2:CE - does it come
with a D2 server as well?  I am very keen to keep this game alive and want to put up a server in Australia so please help me!

rachel

Offline virag0

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Please help - I am so close to getting this...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 01:39:10 am »
Can someone please tell me what I need to do next?  I have D2 running on one host, my SFC2 Client mulitplayer setup and working perfectly.   When I get to the D2 login it
tells me I need gamespy but then lets me into the Campaign selection panel but there are no campaigns.  I was hoping I could at least connect to the one running on port 27100 on the
computer 20 feet away.  Do I need to have something running on port 15101 as well?  Does someone need to add my IP to one of those SFC addresses listed in the server config file?
Those addresses appear responsive.  Where do I get that bit of software, what do I need to get my campaign accessible if only to myself?   I have a lot of experience in systems & networking,
so I am keen to get this working again!  Is the D2 source available?  I could port it to Linux.  I note there are lots of people reading my posts - please reply!

rachel

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:57:09 am »
I don't know anything about running a server. All I can do is point you to this http://www3.telus.net/NuclearWessels/sfc/mods.html and I don't know how current it is. I hope it helps.

Offline virag0

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:47:35 am »
Hmmm, yes I have gone through that.  My problem seems to be with the servers that do the work Gamespy used to do.  I think one of the people who looks after that
needs to add my public IP to something to make it visible, but I just want to run the server on my own LAN and do all the admin things to make it work.  I am investigating a Gamespy emulator
but I am not up on the technology.  My D2 server is definitely running though - it is logging events. Just no one can connect to it for want of an IP in a probable config somewhere.

If anyone who knows how to manage a D2 is listening, I only need that one bit and I am sure I have goit it....  C'mon guys, I am a huge fan of this game and want to get involved some how!

rachel

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:02:11 pm »
All my client side stuff has 15101 as the port, but I am clueless as to what it all means.

Name="ServerSetup"

[Settings]
SingleThreaded=1
CreateCentralSwitch=0
SinglePlayer=0
BlockSize=10000 // How many micro-seconds to spend on server side stuff before doing page flip
DelayMultiple=1.0   // What multiple of time to wait before going back to server side stuff
PacketQueLimit=75    // What

[CentralSwitchSetup]
Listen=0

[WONDirectoryServer]
//ServerPath="/StarFleetCommand2/Game/Release"
ServerPath="/StarFleetCommand2/Game/Release"
//ServerPath="/StarFleetCommand2/Game/Release_Test"

[WONDirectoryServer/Addresses]
//0="sfc2.west.won.net:15101"
//1="sfc2.central.won.net:15101"
//2="sfc2.east.won.net:15101"
0="client.sfc.dynaverse.net:15101"
1="client.dynaverse.net:15101"
2="sfc2.directory.stasis.ca:15101"

[Clients]
ChatClient=1
SecurityClient=1

[Launch]

Offline virag0

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 07:59:22 pm »
Yep, it's those services running on port 15101. I think someone needs to add my Public IP to it so the chain of events that hands off from  the "Gamespy server" to the D2 happens.
I am trying to get my hands on the source code for a GameSpy emulator.  Someone has created one for BattleField2 (do not know what that is) that uses GS protocols to authenticate and
announce games so I will make a little project for myself and see if I cannot reverse engineer what is going on.  I just want to play mulitplayer on a D2 but seems Yak Shaving is what I do.
It would be easier if some of the lurkers who know what to do and likely have access would just speak to me ;)

rachel

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 02:13:20 pm »
I have no idea if this will help you, but take a look: http://www.dynaverse.net/info/request_resource.php

I recommend trying Community Edition when you get it. Strat presented the idea of logging his Dynaverse server into EvolveHQ. Then players could use EvolveHQ's virtual LAN to connect to one another (and to Strat's Dynaverse server) without ever thinking about these things called "ports". Sadly, this Dynaverse experiment was never done, as far as I know. Evolve works great for multiplayer skirmishes, however.

Unfortunately, I do not know where to obtain the Community Edition Server Kit. The CE resources are currently unavailable from ftp.dynaverse.net.

Offline virag0

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 07:16:03 pm »
Thanks for replying  - I will check it out.  I will fill it in and see who gets back to me! 
In other business, I got EAW to connext to an OpenSpy emulator.  I put some credentials in a MySQL db
and when I clicked "create a gamespy login" it seemed to check against my database and indicated I was already
signed up.  But still cannot connect to the D2 on my server.  I am going to have a rest from this for
a bit as my paypal funds just cleared and I am in the process of getting EAW:CE running on my Mac.

I will post a little guide on this when  I am successful.  I am hoping I can get the CE D2 server and
carry on some more with it. 

rachel