Topic: Running SFC Op on windows 8.1  (Read 33737 times)

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Re: Running SFC Op on windows 8.1
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2015, 01:53:21 am »
Well.. could be a hardware or driver issue.. laptops with 2 graphics cards could sometimes switch automatically between 1 and another.
Could you just try to see if it runs in windows mode?
Just change this setting to 1.

[3D]
windowed=1
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2015, 07:55:04 pm »
Thanks for trying! It is appreciated!

But sadly, even in windowed mode, black corner window in upper left of desktop for about 30 seconds.  Then nothing.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2015, 01:14:01 pm »
Have you tried running SFC:CE on Windows 8.1?

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2015, 08:50:54 pm »
Okay, exciting progress.

First, no, I have not tried with CE (don't have it... should I get it?)

I right clicked on StarfleetOP.exe, selected "Troubleshoot Compatibility" and a "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter" window opened up.
There, I was given two options:
-"Try recommended settings. Select this option to test run program using recommended compatibility settings."
-"Troubleshoot program. Select this option to choose compatibility settings based on problems you notice."

I chose the first option.  The Troubleshooter then read, "Test compatibility settings for the program. Settings applied to StarFleetOP: Windows compatibility mode: Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"

With that, I got to the loading screen (though it is running in a smaller unlabelled window in the upper left corner taking up about 25% of the screen), was able to put in my CD code, and voila! Was running.
Noticed one weird thing.  If I pressed Esc while making the SFCOP window active, large text "Paused" would read across the game screen in game font, but the game would still be running.  If I clicked onto the desktop away from the game window, the game window would say "Paused" in conventional small Windows font, with black background, though I think the game was still running in background.  Haven't played enough to find more aberrancies, but so far so good!

Anything special/custom on your iso, d4vv1ks?  Like models or anything?
Any special ini settings you recommend to see if I can get fullscreen?

Since I ran the compatibility troubleshooter, when I just doubleclick on StarfleetOP.exe, it runs just like above, without having to go through it all over again, btw.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2015, 09:11:35 am »
I'm happy for you! That you made it work.
The game is running in window mode.
To change it back to fullscreen, please open your SFC.ini and make this small change:

[3D]
windowed=0

And voilá! :)
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)