Topic: Running SFC Op on windows 8.1  (Read 34014 times)

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
Running SFC Op on windows 8.1
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:09:26 am »
Has any one gotten SFC op to run on the above  I've managed to get the basic install done and I get to the skirmish mission then the game freezes on me  I'm running her in compatibilty mode.  do I need to install other patches
before running a game say patching to the most current patch?.  Any help would be greatly appreicated  :)

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: Running SFC Op on windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:51:35 pm »
I've been putting off attempting doing , just because it's my "work" computer and I shoudn't distract myself ;) I did get the SFC1 Demo installed and running fine, so it seems OP should work too, but.... we'll see

Offline virag0

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:32:46 pm »
I am using WINE on a Mac to play EAW.  I am going to try OP but am working with this for now. I am certain if you installed WINE on win8 you would have
no trouble running OP as all the dependencies are much the same.

rachel

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 06:34:26 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  It could be that my screen resolution is affecting the program I just don't that that much about the internal workings of it.  I'm also running the program on an I7 chip with 16 gig of memory.

Offline virag0

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:16:23 am »
OK, I just got SFC:OP running on my Mac, with wine-crossover and on patch 2552. 
I kept getting runtime errors so I thought the game would not run but I have it going exactl as good as EAW now
after unistalling and reinstall - it must of had a corrupt file unpacked but this time it works!

I am now going to follow FireSoul's guide unless there is a better suggestiom?

rachel

Offline virag0

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 09:57:35 am »
Firesoul 4.1.1 and Mission refits from Nuclear wessels also now 100%

My specs:

Mac Pro 20gb
Nvidia 8800GT
OSX Mavericks 10.9.2
Wine crossover (macports) v13.0
All the usual tweaks - ask if you need to.

I will test the MP support tomorrow!

rachel

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 07:13:22 pm »
So has anyone gotten OP to work with Win8.1 yet?  Kind of ironic that a Mac is the only one that can get it running!

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 04:03:59 pm »
I loaded it up it starts a single player mission and crashes.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 05:10:33 pm »
I loaded it up it starts a single player mission and crashes.

My experience exactly.

Offline VladVoivode

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 03:24:18 pm »
Someone mentioned earlier that the dependencies between Win7 and Win8 are pretty much the same. But, it's the "pretty much" that is the problem. I can run SFCOP under Win7 WITH the final Taldren patch. On Win8 it crashes with the Taldren patch which is a drag because I don't use my Win7 machine.

This may seem tangential but I think it is related to some differences between Win7 and 8. A year and a half ago GOG released one of my favorite space RTS games called Conquest: Frontier Wars. It works flawlessly on Win7. On Win8, the message board on GOG is full of users including myself who cannot get Conquest to run at all. GOG has stated that it is a problem they cannot fix. Compatibility mode does not work either.

I wish so very much that Micro$oft would create a Windows Gamer's Edition that would offer true compatibility from XP onward. I started gaming in the Amiga and C64 days then jumped to PC  with Windows 95 as the Amiga was for all intents and purposes dead. I had built up a pretty respectable game library until Vista hit and so many games would no longer run. I realize I am just repeating the same old b***h about Micro$oft but it eludes as to why this mammoth multinational cannot create an operating system that would guarantee backward compatibility with earlier OS.

Anyhow, I hope that someday soon, Dynaverse will tackle SFC: OP as many have stated - and I concur - that it is the definitive Starfleet Commnand game.

Best,
Vlad

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 08:42:56 am »
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=163393368.0;last_msg=1123048984

Per this thread, tried this SFC3 fix for win8.1 of placing a downloaded d38.dll in the main game folder and play in windowed mode.

The result for SFC-OP opens a window with proper cursor, beeping properly with clicks, but otherwise completely black screen.

Any hope for Windows10?

Since Win10 will be the "LAST" windows release, hopefully there is time for the gaming community at large to come up with ways to make it generally XP game compatible.  There's always hope...

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 10:52:06 am »
Quick question:
Has anyone tried to run the SFC-OP *INSTALLER* in WinXP Compatibility mode for Windows8.1?

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 11:06:01 am »
If other people have gotten it to run past the main menu then there's at least the possibility of a fix. I should add that for my SFC3 fix I did install DirectX 9 manually and installed DirectX 8 from the game's CD. There's a slight chance you need to do at least one of those things in addition to my fix to get the game running, there's a bigger chance that SFC:OP's older coding just has more issues with Win 8.1 than SFC3. Unfortunately I do not have a fresh install of Win 8.1 or a copy of SFC:OP available right now. But some time soon I will test SFC3 on a fresh install of Win 8.1 before I officially release my fix as part of the 3.1 patch (which also contains the results of all my hex editing work) of my SFC3 Upgrade Mod project.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 06:15:31 pm »
Well, right now i'm goofing around with win8.1pro's integrated-but-not-enabled XP Pro virtual hard drive.  I can create a virtual XP Pro machine using Win8.1's Hyper-V virtual machine (already integrated into win8 pro).  But no audio using hyperx vm for xp....
...unless I access that XP VM using Remote Desktop.  THEN SFC OP (and everything else installed under the xp vm) SHOULD output audio just fine...
...only I CAN'T get the RDS (Remote Desktop Service) to connect to the vm.  I think it has to do with how I configured the vm so that it could network, buy i'm not sure.  This is out of my comfort zone, but i'm learning!

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 03:27:06 am »
Why don't you just install Virtualbox? That's pretty much guaranteed to work if you enable the right settings.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 05:17:11 pm »
As stupid as this sounds, because it has become a matter of pride, dammit!
Hyper-X comes with Win8Pro.  So does the XPPro virtual hard drive.  So does the Remote Desktop Connection utility.  So, strictly speaking, if I can make this work, then, strictly speaking, I have found a way to make OP work with Win8.1.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.

And I'm learning stuff while doing this, which is kind of cool.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 11:34:41 pm »
Okay, I surrender.  Working with VirtualBox...
... but actually not getting very far with it.  Will keep plugging away...

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:02 pm »
Okay, JanB, am typing this now from my VirtualBox XP window on my Win8.1 laptop.
Still need to install SFC-OP however.
Initially, thought Microsoft's Hyper-X was better.  But shortly afterwards, it became clear to me that VirtualBox is simply much more laid out.  After installing the Guest Settings on the XP, networking, audio, even USB, just worked.  Having to deal with the 30day activation window is a bit of a pain, but otherwise this is good.

Now just need to track down all the OP downloads...

Speaking of which, what is everyone installing these days?

OP with Pestalence's 5.1 Enhancement pack, then upgrade EzIni to v2.0, then install XCHardcore?
Then a separate install of UP for UAW?

And any good new model packs out there?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:27:19 pm by Tumulorum Fossor »

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 06:36:16 pm »
I've tested on a vanilla Windows 8.1 and I can now confirm that all you need to run SFC3 is to place that d3d8.dll file in thw game's directory. However you will only be able to play in windowed mode.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 02:40:36 pm »
After being prompted by JanB's work on getting SFC3 to work in Win10, I went ahead with trying OP on Win 8.1. I had already installed it in 2014 but, IIRC, I was getting a black screen on startup and couldn't play. I was hoping that JanB's Win8.1 fix for SFC3 would help but for some reason, I didn't need the help!

OP 2.5.5.2 is running stable thru all skirmishes, using windowed mode, 1600x1200, compatibility mode Win XP SP2, Reduced color to 16-bit, run as Admin. Going to try out a multiplayer game later on.

I don't know what "changed" since the install, maybe a Win update, or maybe the 16-bit mode did the trick, but... I have OP working on Win8.1