Topic: Loading Orion Pirates on windows 7  (Read 7495 times)

Offline SOFBear

• Lt. Junior Grade
Loading Orion Pirates on windows 7
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:32:17 pm »
I've been searching around for hints on how to do this on this forum and it's like searching for a Romulan in an asteroid belt.  I found the tips on how to load SFCIII very helpful and was hoping there was a guide on "install this, don't install that."

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
Re: Loading Orion Pirates on windows 7
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 01:23:53 pm »
I'm looking for the Same thing for windows 8.1
 ;D

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 01:42:55 pm »
I've loaded SFC/OP onto my system and it works fine except for dynaverse.  Just put the disk into the drive and run the install as an administrator.  Make sure you know where the program is installing to.  After it installs run the patches and you should be good to go.  One thing though, if the disk doesn't want to run when you put it in the drive then you may have to search through the CD, right click the install program and run that as administrator.   This should work with both questions.  Hope this helps.

Offline SOFBear

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:41:44 pm »
Being unfamiliar with OP is there more than one patch?  What do you consider to be the proper source for the patches?

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:54:22 pm »
There is only one official patch, the 2.5.5.2 patch.  I don't run the other ones, others here can help you with that.  You can find the patches on this site here.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 02:53:22 pm »
I imagine at some point there will be  a stickied "how to" for Win 7 & 8, but here are my experiences today:

specs: custom built Intel i7 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, Win8.1, Nvidia GeForce GTX 570

-Antivirus/windows firewall off, running installs as Admin, compatibility for setup.exe set to Win XP service pack 2
-I was trying to load OP from the ISO I purchased last yr, using VirtualCloneDrive to mount but wouldn't get past the menu screen from autostart. Same ISO & program worked on other machines, so I switched to trying to load from the older actual CD, same problem. After trying several iterations of compatibility settings I noticed that the setup.exe was listed several times in task manager from every attempt I made, and that the process tree was getting stuck by "Adobe CEF helper.exe", which was running from my Adobe Creative Cloud account. Stopped Creative Cloud, and install proceeded normally

Long story short, think about what your machine might be running in the background and turn off before installing OP. I  had stopped email clients, antivirus, etc., but only foound my problem after staring at Task Manager for a few minutes

Install went into the "Program Files (x86)" folder. As I thought I remembered reading here that it should go into "Program Files," I moved it. OP ran thru startup, crashed 30 seconds into a game. Tried running the 2500-2552 patch, it would start but it would fail out. Noticed then that even if moved, it defaulted to trying to find & patch the game in the "Program Files (x86)" folder. Moved the game back to "...(x86)" and patch worked.

OP now launches, with 2.5.5.2, but still I crash after a minute or so of play.

Also, I get a "this won't run on your PC" msg whenever I try to run the OP_DLL_Updater, even when it is in XP compatibility/admin mode. Wondering if I can grab the appropriate DLLs from another machine I have it  installed on.

Feels like I'm getting closer; at least it's installed, and now it's a stability problem

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:28:59 pm »
I put my install right on the C drive "C:\SFC OP\SFCOP.exe" and that worked for me.  I'm wondering if there isn't something wrong with the ISO.  I'm able to play for hours until the program crashes from the memory leak.  When that happens I have to completely reboot the system.  Has anyone tried installing the program from safe mode?

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 06:09:10 pm »
since I loaded OP from a retail disc, I don't think it's a problem with the  ISO, and given that safe mode is intended more for maintenance, I don't see that helping much.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 09:45:36 pm »
Safe mode allows the computer to run basic drivers and necessary processes only.  This should allow the computer to install SFC without other processes getting in the way.  This might help since it appears to be a software conflict.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 02:55:44 pm »
I'm not following you, Javora - do you mean me? My install worked fine once I got past a few things, and after that I got the patch and bonus scripts loaded ok. My problem is crashing while playing; I'm certainly not going to play in safe mode.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 08:45:28 pm »
Yeah, my guess is that your install is corrupted.  You should be able to play for a couple of hours before it crashes.  So I'm thinking that a reinstall in safe mode might work better.  However if your install of SFC is running a couple of hours in between crashes, then IMHO that is the best you can hope for.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 07:34:40 pm »
I think what you are doing wrong and that is when installing you have to into my computer on your D drive right click and install as admin if you are doing that.

read this thread
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163378640.0.html

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 08:52:11 am »
If I follow your grammar Age; yes, that's what I did, install as Admin, as I listed above.

I can try it again but I think stating that "my install is corrupted" is just a shot in the dark, given that I've done this install a dozen times in XP. Alternately, I may try the trick of copying the whole "Taldren" folder from a XP machine into my 8.1 box. In either case, will try installing into a folder of my own naming ("SFCOP" or something), not the installs choice.

To clarify, the game and patch installs; game starts up with music/sounds/menus. Can pick, customize and start a battle. Go to Red Alert, can even exchange weapons fire, but the game crashes when I: launch fighters, adjust my EW, or prepare a negative tractor, as examples.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 06:39:12 pm »
Sorry about that was in a hurry as always.I hope you are deleting the SFCOP folder when doing freash install and do not import your XP folder.That will crash the game as it is set up for XP.

I wonder if any one of you are updating your GPU drivers.I got SFC1 on 7 and it runs fine so OP runs great.

Offline Raven4412

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 10:43:36 pm »
Good evening, give this a try, here is a copy of my SFC:OP SFC.ini file. Works great in Win8.1 so it should work in Win7. Make a backup of your original SFC.ini file and edit yours to reflect mine below.

[Network]
PlayerName=Player
SessionName=Players Game
SessionType=Starfleet
NetDebug=0
NetLib=1
SimProtocol=0
MulticasterServer=0
NetDbgFile=0
SynchWait=60

[3D]
wireframe=1
windowed=0
zbuffer=1
lowres=3
driver=0
backdrop=1
shipstacking=1
ambientlighting=0.2
luminancetextures=1
luminancedamagetextures=1
spacedust=0

[AI]               
TemplatePath=assets\ai\personalities
TacticsPath=assets\ai\tactics
AIAttack=1
AIMove=1
ProcessThreats=1
AIDrawFlight=0
AIDrawTarget=0
AIDrawWeapons=0

[AIDebug]
AIDebugLevel=0
DebugError=1

[UI]
UIType=0
QuickTip=1
Grid=0
OrderDelay=30
HeadingDisplay=0
AutoFilm=0
SkipUpsell=1
ASCIICharacterSet=0

[Sound]
voice=3
GlobalVolume=100
MusicVolume=75
VoiceVolume=100
MaxChannels=16
CollisionAlert=0

[Races]
Orions=1
Feds=1
Klingons=1
Hydrans=1
Lyrans=1
Roms=1
Gorns=1

[Mouse]
async=1
hwblit=0

[IPAddress]
NumOfEntries=1
Entry#0=Local Area Network
[ModemAddress]
NumOfEntries=0

[Models]
ShowModels=1

[Meta]
WONName=Name
WONPassword=Password
MapName=Map4.mvm
TestPatchUtility=1
EmpireMapView=1
WONNickname=OP

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 10:06:34 am »
Thanks for that Raven - you led me to find another issue that might be the culprit.

In trying to change & save my sfc.ini I got a "access denied" warning, even tho the file itself has it's "read only" attribute off. Changing the attributes on the whole folder won't stay off "read only" and apparently this is a known issue with  Win8 (&7?). Any thoughts on read-only attributes and game functionality?

While the last time I played it hung up completely, twice before that I could start & play a game and it would crash right at the moment a ship in the game was going to be destroyed.

Offline Raven4412

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 09:26:34 pm »
Your welcome, your pc is it a x64 processor and you have the software installed in c:\program files (x86)? Is so try creating a folder on the root of C:\ example C:\games. Some older programs have trouble with a folder with parenthesizes. Take a look at this, it explains the issue and how to correct it. It's a permission issue and or UAC protecting the OS.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7b3ada32-181d-4c55-9259-ee44f5f83b82/cant-write-to-program-files-folder

But moving the game to folder on root of C:\ resolves it for me.