Topic: SFC: EAW Setup.exe won't run - I'm Stumped.  (Read 6761 times)

Offline mdutr0

• Lt. Junior Grade
SFC: EAW Setup.exe won't run - I'm Stumped.
« on: June 01, 2014, 06:32:26 pm »
Windows 7, 64-bit. I am attempting to install from the original CDs.

I put the disc in the drive and the auto-run works but nothing happens after I hit "install." I tried navigating through the CD drive to Setup.exe but it doesn't work either. When I click on it the drive spins up but nothing happens. It appears in Task Manager too but still nothing happens. I have tried every compatibility setting there is and I have been running as administrator.

Any ideas?

Edit: Same story with my OP disc. No luck. SFC 3 will install but I prefer the older games.

If I buy and d/l the new Community Edition does it work "out of the box" so to speak?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:57:16 pm by mdutr0 »
"Mr. Sulu, lay in a course.  Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." - James T. Kirk

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: SFC: EAW Setup.exe won't run - I'm Stumped.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 12:16:39 pm »
Disconnect your PC from the internet (wired & wireless). Turn off all firewall, anti-virus, and anti-malware stuff. Navigate to setup.exe.

If this works, don't install to Program Files or Program Files(x86)! Select a hassle-free directory such as "Taldren".

I have a Windows 7, 64-bit laptop. I  have disabled User Access Control, so I rarely have to deal with annoying authority issues. Good luck.

Offline mdutr0

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:54:09 pm »
I appreciate your response, but sadly it still didn't work. Same story, disc spins up, task manager recognizes a new process has started, and.... nothing.

"Mr. Sulu, lay in a course.  Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." - James T. Kirk

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:48:27 pm »
This may seem simplistic, but have you tried initiating the disc by clicking on your CD/ROM drive and starting it from there? I have found that autoload sometimes doesn't initiate, especially with older programs.

Offline mdutr0

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 10:04:24 pm »
Unfortunately, nothing is working right now.

I may just cave and buy the Community Edition. It's set up to run on modern operating systems right?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 11:28:07 pm »
Yes, CE can run on modern OS's. I remember that I had trouble loading EAW when I first bought it. Fortunately for me I had two disc drives and the second one accepted it.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 06:55:36 pm »
I am wondering do happen to have the folder already in you program files and didn't delete it.I have no problems installing EAW or OP on my 7,64 bit.You are doing something wrong.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 08:28:07 pm »
Don't buy CE just yet, we're having some email issues with the store apparently.

Also - does D.Net seem slow to any of you in regards to posting replies, etc.?

Regards,
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:44:34 pm »
I haven't noticed any issues in posting, even on my cellphone.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 07:34:42 am »
Good to hear.

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 07:35:33 am »
Windows 7, 64-bit. I am attempting to install from the original CDs.

I put the disc in the drive and the auto-run works but nothing happens after I hit "install." I tried navigating through the CD drive to Setup.exe but it doesn't work either. When I click on it the drive spins up but nothing happens. It appears in Task Manager too but still nothing happens. I have tried every compatibility setting there is and I have been running as administrator.

Any ideas?

Edit: Same story with my OP disc. No luck. SFC 3 will install but I prefer the older games.

If I buy and d/l the new Community Edition does it work "out of the box" so to speak?

How do the disks, themselves, look?

Regards,
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline MIWolverine

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 08:33:51 pm »
For as cheap as it is you should just do what I did and buy a new copy of EAW from the Market.  I've installed and played from the ISO files using VirtualCloneDrive to mount them.  Doing it this way will avoid using your optical drive at all.

I've already paid for CE, but decided to get the original as well since I saw on the Forums that there were quite a few people still playing EAW.

Even you buy both, it's only $12 for games you will spend countless hours playing even if you only end up using one of them in the end (prob CE)

Offline mdutr0

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 04:20:07 pm »
The discs look good - not a scratch on them.

I will probably go ahead and buy the CE on the marketplace though, I'm sure it's the best version of the game at this point.

Does it work in Linux (thinking of switching...).

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 02:02:06 pm »
The CE  edition is only good for EAW only.You are doing something wrong in the install process.Do you still see the files in your programs(86) folder if so delete them.It has worked for me installing both games in Win 7 64 bit.

Offline Tuscarora

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 09:35:27 pm »
I have a 64 bit WIndows 7 laptop, installed to both an x86 and non-x86 directory... I get the following attached error, any ideas?

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 07:17:35 am »
When I installed SFC OP on my Win 7 machine, I installed it to:   C:/Taldren/SFC

It worked fine that way, I don't think OP and EAW are that different.  Hope this helps.