Topic: Ruleset and other game play Specifics  (Read 69878 times)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
Ruleset and other game play Specifics
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:33:02 pm »
This thread is a discussion of specifics in SFC 4.  If you are not up to date please review this thread
http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163393922.0.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:32:19 am by Corbomite »

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
Re: Ruleset and other game play Specifics
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:01:17 pm »
SFC4, will be an extension and upgrade to SFC2

We do not have permission for the rul eset, so I will be using a modified one for Imperium.

The tactical game is for combat

The strategic will be the galaxy map, resources etc.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:10:18 pm »
What we have so far:

1) We want some sort of semi-seamless transition from tactical to strategic levels based on range and warping off, with an alert to other units in the area that the warp is getting ready to occur.

2) No warp combat (for now, mainly because we can't really figure out how to do it).

3) We want several levels of information gathering and dispersal (approx 4, from tactical to galactic) to simulate a real galactic power doing its thing.

4) We are leaning towards a 2D+ approach unless we see some sort of real 3D that wows our pants off.

5) The way we wish to navigate from tactical displays to strategic displays is important and is under current discussion.

Did I miss anything?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 02:19:06 pm »
SFC4, will be an extension and upgrade to SFC2

We do not have permission for the rul eset, so I will be using a modified one for Imperium.

The tactical game is for combat

The strategic will be the galaxy map, resources etc.

So if I am understanding this correctly, you will be using as much of SFC2 as you can while replacing the 3D engine, the SFB IP and the broken D2 junk. What about the missions and back story?

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:00:33 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:53:52 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 03:25:57 pm »
Will this be as open to modding as other games?
Being able to adjust weapon DPS and etc...
Adding, duplicating etc...
Yes there will be modding.   exactly how is not decided.

Thrusters were implemented in STBC in the Kobayashimaru mod, quite interesting strafing left and right and up and down via number pad. Kind of cool.
I am considering thruster, withe arrow keys, Port.starboard.up.down

So if I am understanding this correctly, you will be using as much of SFC2 as you can while replacing the 3D engine, the SFB IP and the broken D2 junk. What about the missions and back story?
modtly orrect, we may have to rewrite ome of the code an an use dyna, not decided yet.  Missions will have to be redone but will allow custom missions

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:31:50 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:53:46 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 03:34:40 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:53:40 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
to O'Brien

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 03:43:22 pm »
Thrusters were implemented in STBC in the Kobayashimaru mod, quite interesting strafing left and right and up and down via number pad. Kind of cool.
I am considering thruster, withe arrow keys, Port.starboard.up.down

Now is as good a time as any to start drilling this into your head: Make as many tactical commands as possible map-able or re-map-able to the keyboard in addition to any mouse function you might give those commands. Strategic and bookkeeping UI's work well as mouse driven interfaces, but combat requires customization to the player's liking.

modtly orrect, we may have to rewrite ome of the code an an use dyna, not decided yet.  Missions will have to be redone but will allow custom missions

Then why abandon the SFB stuff? All we need do is change some names, adjust some charts and and base dice and it's the same thing as using Imperium, but play tested 3/4 of the way.

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 03:48:44 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:53:33 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
to O'Brien

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 03:56:41 pm »
Believe it or not SFB stole most of their terminolgy from the US or other militaries - ECM, ECCM, Wild Weasles, Suicide Ships, Q Ships are all 20th century warfare terms if I'm not mistaken and the Star Trek stuff we were going to use anyway. Race names and specific weapons or system names are the ones that will need attention.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 10:31:41 am »
. . . so I will be using a modified one for Imperium.

Any place we can see this rules set short of a garage sale?
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:35:53 am »
SFB rule set cannot be cut and paste ao the same amount of work.  I do not have the SFB rule set anyway.  I have imperium.  To get the rules we would have to fork out real money.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 10:49:02 am »
SFB rule set cannot be cut and paste ao the same amount of work.  I do not have the SFB rule set anyway.  I have imperium.  To get the rules we would have to fork out real money.

I have the SFB rules sitting a few feet from me. So does DH. All I'm saying is that if you are leaving most of the tactical engine as is all we need to do is change the basis of the charts we have and we don't have to incorporate a new game into the exisiting one.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 11:10:27 am »
SFB is copyright, and that is for 75 years.  ADB ill not even talk to us an besides 50% royalty is robbery

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 11:12:54 am »

I'm talking about the Imperium rules :)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 11:20:11 am »
ADB will not even talk to us an besides 50% royalty is robbery

Is that the figure they quoted you?

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 11:43:01 am »
no reading their forums, there was another request to use the SFU ruleset an they offer to sell the game and keep half the money

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 01:49:20 pm »
How is multiplayer being done?  Is it peer to peer like all prior SFCs or is it peer to server to peer like most modern multiplayer games?  If it's Peer to Peer, what's the peer cap?  6?  12?

If its server based, are we going to have a seamless transition between strategic and tactical? or are we going to be staring at a loading screen once a mission gets accepted?

Getting this items situated will help us figure out what to do with Dyna, it may be that we're stuck with the SFC2/3 Hex grid anyways.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 05:09:32 pm »
How is multiplayer being done?  Is it peer to peer like all prior SFCs or is it peer to server to peer like most modern multiplayer games?  If it's Peer to Peer, what's the peer cap?  6?  12?

Talking to Frey, we will be using a server, and modify Dyna code and eventually have an upgraded dyne server for fleet combat.  Also a 1-1 peer to peer for quick combat skirmishes. 

If its server based, are we going to have a seamless transition between strategic and tactical? or are we going to be staring at a loading screen once a mission gets accepted?
Yes, that is planned

Getting this items situated will help us figure out what to do with Dyna, it may be that we're stuck with the SFC2/3 Hex grid anyways
Not sure hat you mean