Topic: More than 6 ships in a skirmish  (Read 16210 times)

Offline vonfrank

• Lt. Junior Grade
More than 6 ships in a skirmish
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:16:38 pm »
There has to be some way to do it.  >:(

When i look in the script files for "Free for All" in the API there are 12 teams listed. That must mean that you can add 12 ships in a skirmish somehow.

I know that you can add more than 6 in the "fleet pick" mission but it is not as easy as the "Free for All" mission.

Any input on this would be welcomed  :)

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
  • G.E.C.K. - The best kit to have
    • Ramblings on the Q3, blog
Re: More than 6 ships in a skirmish
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:06:49 pm »
There has to be some way to do it.  >:(

When i look in the script files for "Free for All" in the API there are 12 teams listed. That must mean that you can add 12 ships in a skirmish somehow.

I know that you can add more than 6 in the "fleet pick" mission but it is not as easy as the "Free for All" mission.

Any input on this would be welcomed  :)

it is possible that even tho they have 12 "slots" for teams only 6 can be used by players (possible hard code, who knows) and the other 6 can only be AI.  Would love to really know tho.
The smell of printer ink in the morning,
Tis the smell of programming.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
    • http://klingon.lostexiles.net/
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 02:15:06 am »
it is possible that even tho they have 12 "slots" for teams only 6 can be used by players (possible hard code, who knows) and the other 6 can only be AI.  Would love to really know tho.

That's correct.
What COULD be done, for example of FFA that would be interesting, is a Multiplayer FFA script like my bfest+ that would give each player an AI teammate.

ie:
4 players log in. The 4 players choose their races, but not their ships. The first ship is a random frigate.
Result: 8 ships are in-game. Each player appears near a teammate AI that has its own frigate. You, however, cannot control your AI friend. There could effectively be 8 teams in this scenario: 4 players and 4 assisting AIs.

Author: OP+ Mod
Maintainer: Coopace
Author: Fests+ for OP
Creator: SFC-OP Mini Updater
Maintainer: SFC-EAW for OP Campaigns
Kitbash: SFC2 models

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 03:34:59 am »

That's correct.
What COULD be done, for example of FFA that would be interesting, is a Multiplayer FFA script like my bfest+ that would give each player an AI teammate.

ie:
4 players log in. The 4 players choose their races, but not their ships. The first ship is a random frigate.
Result: 8 ships are in-game. Each player appears near a teammate AI that has its own frigate. You, however, cannot control your AI friend. There could effectively be 8 teams in this scenario: 4 players and 4 assisting AIs.

It would be interesting to see if we could set up the 7th player in a game.  If a script was written for a battlefest that used 7 players, I could see if I can get a 7 player ui set up to test it.  would take alittle time, but I don't script missions (yet) so I haven't walked down this path yet, but I have looked at it.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 01:42:43 am »

That's correct.

ie:

It would be interesting to see if we could set up the 7th player in a game.  If a script was written for a battlefest that used 7 players, I could see if I can get a 7 player ui set up to test it.  would take alittle time, but I don't script missions (yet) so I haven't walked down this path yet, but I have looked at it.

The API would have to be updated too. It currently kinda assumes a max of 6 players, and 12 teams.

(...)

Also,
I completed the script idea I mentioned above, for SFC-OP. Who wants to test it? Consider this a beta release, and you're a tester.

I called it "Battlefest+Intense", silly name huh.. It's based off of my bfest+ that used the shiplist API for better shiplist selection. Also, I made it *7* ships long: added Battleship at the end. It's *is* quite intense. I don't know how well it' will stand up to multiplayer testing.

But I had a blast in a 50-minute plus game. The setup: me + 2 AI players vs 3 AI players. The result: a 6 vs 6 ship bfest mayhem.

http://klingon.pet.dhs.org/fests+/index.html#intense
SFC-OP script: http://klingon.pet.dhs.org/fests+/Mul_Battlefest+Intense.scr
Sources: http://klingon.pet.dhs.org/fests+/Mul_Battlefest+Intense.zip

-- FS

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 08:48:31 am »

The API would have to be updated too. It currently kinda assumes a max of 6 players, and 12 teams.

(...)

Also,
I completed the script idea I mentioned above, for SFC-OP. Who wants to test it? Consider this a beta release, and you're a tester.

Will have to try the script out.  'tis sounds interesting.

Hmmm, guess it is time to take a peek at the API and see what might be able to be done with it.  Could be the interesting sidething I have been looking for.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:30:56 am »
okay, found this so far.

class tTeamTrackerClass
{
public:
      void         mInitialize (eTeamID LocalTeam, tDynaverseScriptInfo& info, int32 OverrideShipCounts);
      void         mShipDied (eTeamID Team);
      void         mTeamGone (eTeamID Team, tMissionInfo* Mission);   // call with mission ptr to enable goal indicator
      eGameStatus      mGetTeamsStatus (void);
      void         mTrackLeader (tMissionInfo* Mission);

protected:
      enum
      {
         kReserved = kTeam6
      };

eTeamID         fLocalPlayerTeam;
      int32         fStartingShipCounts[kReserved+1];
      int32         fTeamShipCounts[kReserved+1];
      iTruth         fTeamIsHuman[kReserved+1];
      int32         fMultiplayerTeams[kReserved+1];
};

can't find where kTeam6 is defined but looking at iTruth it sets if it is human or not.  Well, back to looking.

Offline FireSoul

• Modder of shiplists
  • Lt. Commander
  • mew.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 02:23:12 pm »
okay, found this so far.

class tTeamTrackerClass
{
public:
      void         mInitialize (eTeamID LocalTeam, tDynaverseScriptInfo& info, int32 OverrideShipCounts);
      void         mShipDied (eTeamID Team);
      void         mTeamGone (eTeamID Team, tMissionInfo* Mission);   // call with mission ptr to enable goal indicator
      eGameStatus      mGetTeamsStatus (void);
      void         mTrackLeader (tMissionInfo* Mission);

protected:
      enum
      {
         kReserved = kTeam6
      };

eTeamID         fLocalPlayerTeam;
      int32         fStartingShipCounts[kReserved+1];
      int32         fTeamShipCounts[kReserved+1];
      iTruth         fTeamIsHuman[kReserved+1];
      int32         fMultiplayerTeams[kReserved+1];
};

can't find where kTeam6 is defined but looking at iTruth it sets if it is human or not.  Well, back to looking.

It's from part of the API: Scripts\shared\Source\Include\TeamData.h
Code: [Select]
// these two enums are also used in script modules
enum eTeamID { kNoTeam = -1,
kTeam1 = 0,
kTeam2,
kTeam3,
kTeam4,
kTeam5,
kTeam6,
kTeam7,
kTeam8,
kTeam9,
kTeam10,
kTeam11,
kTeam12,
kTeam13,
kTeam14,
kTeam15,
kTeam16,
kTeam17,
kTeam18,
kTeam19,
kTeam20,
kMaxTeams,
kForceToInt32 = 0xFFFFFFFF};

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:27:08 pm »
thanks that also answers why they are adding one to it.

Offline vonfrank

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 12:44:51 pm »
so there is still no way to do it yet?  :(

the key has to be in the Free 4 All scripts in the API. I have looked all throught them and modified them to include teams 7 and 8 but you still cannot add more than 5 AI to any map with that modified script

maybe there has to be a new map layout made with 8 player support

Offline sfcv

• just.... the game..
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 07:52:59 am »
i encountered a problem with the script.
i played a battlefest intense with 4 players, clicked start, the game ran for 5 minutes(4.56 to be more exact), and then op crashes.. Why is that?

NVM problem solved after reinstalling OP..
I had a 25 minutes battlefest full of chops, and game freezes, although, i played a 6 vs 6 and all my ships were intact in the end.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 12:23:40 pm by sfcv »
For everybody.. I have ICE CREAM.

Offline Gulli

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 04:50:34 pm »
Since it's a battlefest script my guess is that at 4.56 one of the players was about to respawn, with a ship that wasn't handled correctly by your script. Maybe you mispelled the name of that particular ship in the script.

Offline vonfrank

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 06:12:17 pm »
Well I know it's been a while and I'm reviving this thread, but has anyone gotten a breakthrough on this?

I managed to write my own "Mega-Battlefest" script for SFC3 (7 spawn counts for each player, Frigate all the way up to Battleship) and it works great in Single Player and LAN games.

I still cant figure out how to increase the limit of Free for All ships. There must be a way.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 06:43:25 pm »
I skipped over most of this thread, but mb we could add a button to the supply dock that auto replenishes all your stores with whatever loadout is on the 1st ship in the list?

I say this because I know for a fact that using the OCI one may carry into battle a fleet of at least 6 ships, although in game supply you can only see 3.

Perhaps the OCI interface can add a supply feature when on same race bases or planets?

But yes, a multiplayer script allowing more than 3 ships per player would be nice.

Offline vonfrank

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 07:43:54 pm »
...although in game supply you can only see 3....

You know that I'm talking about SFC3 right? Not 1, EAW, or OP. You can only supply your own single ship in SFC3.

Offline vonfrank

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: More than 6 ships in a skirmish (SFC3)
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 05:51:32 pm »
Looks like I'm reviving my old thread again, but I still cannot figure out how to make a skirmish game have more than 6 players.

I really think there should be a way considering that on the SFC3 skirmish setup window, there are scroll buttons on the side for the list of players even though adding the max of 6 does not fill the list enough to even need to scroll the list.   :huh:

The ability to do this may be hardcoded, but if it is possible to change, it will make for much better battles in SFC3

Any input on this would be helpful.

Offline marstone

• Because I can
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 06:49:14 pm »
Not sure how the code works in SFCIII but I am guessing that they have a hardcode limit in the game itself.

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 05:12:18 pm »
This is an old thread, but still, for anyone reading it: I sort of found a way to have more than 6 ships in skirmish scenarios in SFC3. I edited the Free For All mission script to clone all the ships. In theory you can play with this as much as you want: it should work for all the skirmish scenarios, you can have the ships cloned more than once as well and you could make it different for each team. All you need to watch out for are the ship counters (the game needs to know there are more than 6 ships so it doesn't end prematurely), but that worked fine when I tried it. The clones have the exact same loadout as the player selected ships, even whe those are custom refits that have not been saved.

As an example I made a scenario called "Free For All Triple" that triples all the player selected ships, basically it works like this:

- you set up the skirmish, for example 2 Sabers and a Galaxy vs 3 Borg Diamonds

- you launch the game and find yourself in a battle of 6 Sabers and 3 Galaxies vs 9 Borg Diamonds

Here's a link: http://sfc.battleclinic.com/docks/view.php?id=4893