Topic: Even If You're Not A Soccer Fan This Is Pretty Funny  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Even If You're Not A Soccer Fan This Is Pretty Funny
« on: July 03, 2014, 11:23:53 am »
In case you've been living under a rock, the U.S. lost spectacularly to Belgium in the World Cup 16 round. U.S. goalie Tim Howard practically played by himself making a World Cup record 16 stops. We've gained a huge amount of respect from the world in the sport for the way we played with a never say die attitude even though we had no real chance of winning the World Cup. It's funny, but a lot of the world's top players fall flat on their faces on the world stage. Of course the internet went crazy.

hail-to-the-goalie

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
Re: Even If You're Not A Soccer Fan This Is Pretty Funny
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 03:34:25 pm »
He was a one man highlight reel.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 04:02:24 pm »
 2-1...srsly...watching a frog stuck in my pool trying to jump out is more exciting than this sport. Is the scoreboard even designed to handle double digits.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:37:23 pm »
2-1...srsly...watching a frog stuck in my pool trying to jump out is more exciting than this sport. Is the scoreboard even designed to handle double digits.

Probably not. I can't watch the game. I can appreciate a well executed play on the highlight reel but more than that no.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 07:22:43 pm »
Soccer is a lot like baseball in some repects. With mediocre teams it really is more boring to watch than play. Lots of kicking the ball around and not a lot of scoring chances. With the top notch players though, you get to see some really incredible plays and setups that don't always translate to a score, but with soccer it's the play that counts. When your team fights really hard and finally does score it is way more gratifying than watching oversized players for the design of the game effortlessly make scores into the seventies and eighties with only an average of 2.5 pts per score. Yes basketball, I'm looking at you. Now there is a boring game to watch. If the teams are anywhere nearly matched, only the last five minutes mean a damn thing. You could play a whole season in a month if you just cut the games to five minutes each.

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:21:00 pm »
Oh how I hate basketball...mainly because every channel preempts damn near everything every night in March for it. Soccer is just too stupid to rate consideration.

A sport where scoring doesn't count...where it's effectively not the point of the game...wtf. Save two+ hours and have everyone just walk out onto the field, collect a participation trophy, then leave.

There's nothing really exciting happening. Sure "your" team may drive the ball up field but they have virtually no chance of scoring so who cares. Can't get excited about the goalie blocking a shot because they all do that nearly every time anyway. No point caring about a turnover cause guess what...that team has virtually no chance of scoring either. If "your" team does manage to score it's probably not because they're good but because the other team's goalie screwed up somehow. They shouldn't scream "goal" for five minutes like morons they should scream "How the hell did that happen?"

The fix is obvious...COMBAT ROBOTS.

Litter the field with armed machines with proximity sensors that race around after players. I guarantee the first game that includes a drive toward the goal ending with a player torched by flamethrower will be the highest rated soccer game of all time.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:33:19 pm by Vipre »
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:52:52 pm »
All sports like soccer: hockey (ice and field), polo, water polo, lacrosse, etc., have that same dynamic since they all put restrictions on how a player may enagage the ball/puck. There is either an implement required or there is a restriction on how the player may use their body. Of course it's going to be harder to score than in football or basketball. At least baseball has the near impossible task of hitting a rock thrown at you at 90mph with a stick to make it challenging.