Topic: Box office numbers for the Star Trek movies  (Read 16469 times)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Re: Box office numbers for the Star Trek movies
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 10:17:25 am »

Shatner directed STV, back when he was hating on nerdy trekkies.  A few years later, when he started seeing pretty girls show up at conventions, slathered in green paint, all of the sudden Star Trek was "fun."  As far as being "awesome," I have another word.  It also begins with an "A," but end in a "hole."

Watch Boston Legal.  Shatner is awesome.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 04:07:35 pm »

Shatner directed STV, back when he was hating on nerdy trekkies.  A few years later, when he started seeing pretty girls show up at conventions, slathered in green paint, all of the sudden Star Trek was "fun."  As far as being "awesome," I have another word.  It also begins with an "A," but end in a "hole."

Watch Boston Legal.  Shatner is awesome.

He was playing a pompous A-hole.  How could he go wrong?
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 07:22:42 pm »
Keep it gay people!
Keep it gay by William Shatner

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 10:36:31 am »
I've just finished re-watching all the original cast ST movies . . . 5 was pure sh*t.  I'm not sure how anyone could like that movie.  I need to re-watch Nemesis to see which one was worst.

Best one?  6.

I don't like 6 as much as I used to. I've always had a problem with a bird of prey prototype that can fire cloaked, but in the next 75 years of trek history the Klingons are never able to make another?

What really bothers me now is the lack of thought in the khitomer battle as to damage to the enterprise.  In WOK a hit to engineering exterior of ship leads to a shot of engineering interior being damaged. Port torpedo deck exterior gets hit, interior of torpedo room is seen blowing up. In TUC such sense is tossed out the airlock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqCJ-UGYns
The first torpedo damages the underside of the saucer even though shields are at full strength. Later we have a shot that skims along the top port side of the saucer, yet we then cut to mayhem in the engine room in the secondary hull, shields still up. Throw in a hit to the underside of  the secondary hull from behind just beyond the hangar deck and then bridge mayhem being shown as the next shot and I'm really wondering what the production team was smoking. For your further consideration is the shot that goes through the bottom of the enterprise saucer and out through the top while making two 90 degree turns in the process. In through the bottom, then 90 degrees horizontal to blow a hole through the dining room door. (yes a torpedo sized hole, not just blowing out the door or wall) Then apparently a 90 degree vertical turn to go out the top.  What a load of crap!
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 11:45:50 am »
ST:VI was enjoyable on some levels, but they lost me with bubblegum pink blood long before the major firing started.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 03:08:10 pm »
I've just finished re-watching all the original cast ST movies . . . 5 was pure sh*t.  I'm not sure how anyone could like that movie.  I need to re-watch Nemesis to see which one was worst.

Best one?  6.

I don't like 6 as much as I used to. I've always had a problem with a bird of prey prototype that can fire cloaked, but in the next 75 years of trek history the Klingons are never able to make another?

I never liked the BoP period.  The 37mm gun pods, the lack of separated warp engine nacelles, and the complete lack of familial resemblance to the battle cruiser seemed inappropriate.

Best one?  6.

What really bothers me now is the lack of thought in the khitomer battle as to damage to the enterprise.  In WOK a hit to engineering exterior of ship leads to a shot of engineering interior being damaged. Port torpedo deck exterior gets hit, interior of torpedo room is seen blowing up. In TUC such sense is tossed out the airlock.

The first torpedo damages the underside of the saucer even though shields are at full strength. Later we have a shot that skims along the top port side of the saucer, yet we then cut to mayhem in the engine room in the secondary hull, shields still up. Throw in a hit to the underside of  the secondary hull from behind just beyond the hangar deck and then bridge mayhem being shown as the next shot and I'm really wondering what the production team was smoking. For your further consideration is the shot that goes through the bottom of the enterprise saucer and out through the top while making two 90 degree turns in the process. In through the bottom, then 90 degrees horizontal to blow a hole through the dining room door. (yes a torpedo sized hole, not just blowing out the door or wall) Then apparently a 90 degree vertical turn to go out the top.  What a load of crap!

1.)  The director decided to use some of the "optional rules."

2.)  As far as "torpedo sized sized hole" goes, I thought the hole somewhat less than "torpedo sized."  To me, It looked like the director was so enamored with a shell or cannonball crashing through a ship that he didn't care whether or not spaceships carry such weapons.  I had a WTF moment when I first saw it.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 03:31:33 pm »

the complete lack of familial resemblance to the battle cruiser seemed inappropriate.

What are you talking about?  The BOP displays the traditional phallic Klingon form factor.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 07:42:48 pm »

the complete lack of familial resemblance to the battle cruiser seemed inappropriate.

What are you talking about?  The BOP displays the traditional phallic Klingon form factor.

The phallic command structure is common on many spacecraft models.  You can even find it in nature: just look at a goose.  It's less like the Klingon BC than the Klingon BC is like the Enterprise.  Did I mention how much I hate the gun barrels?

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 07:12:19 pm »
I don't care what any one here says I like all of the Classics 1 to 6.I don't the beginning of Generation only seeing the Ent. B.

I do like the BoP like it is not to be confused by the B'rel class which is scout ship.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 02:41:15 am »
The phallic command structure is common on many spacecraft models.  You can even find it in nature: just look at a goose.  It's less like the Klingon BC than the Klingon BC is like the Enterprise.  Did I mention how much I hate the gun barrels?

They both have two balls and a penis.  The Klingons are obviously overcompensating for something.  Maybe that's why those dirty animals are mad all the time.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 04:43:33 am »
They both have two balls and a penis.  The Klingons are obviously overcompensating for something.  Maybe that's why those dirty animals are mad all the time.

I always figured that.  People think that big and macho means having a big piece of meat.  Klingons are extremely violent, so nature would not encourage having a vulnerable appendage of great size.  If you look at the Benobo upside the Chimpanzee, you'll find the Chimps are big and violent, but it's the little Benobo that has the big shlong, and the Benobo is not afraid to use it.

In my musings of a ST series taking place on a Klingon ship, I thought about how Klingons might be disgusted by human sexuality.  With Klingons, mating is not nearly as habitual as it is for humans.  They can't be that good at it, because they often injure their partners.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 04:01:11 pm »
That being said Age turned out just fine being 60%human and 40% Klingon.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 01:24:30 pm »
So many of you guys look at a D7 and see a penis.  I see a predatory shark.  Are you guys in the closet or do you  just have some form of penis envy?

:laugh:

That being said Age turned out just fine being 60%human and 40% Klingon.

I told Frankenstein that would work if he couldn't get enough to make it 100% Klingon.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 01:39:10 pm »

I always figured that.  People think that big and macho means having a big piece of meat.  Klingons are extremely violent, so nature would not encourage having a vulnerable appendage of great size.  If you look at the Benobo upside the Chimpanzee, you'll find the Chimps are big and violent, but it's the little Benobo that has the big shlong, and the Benobo is not afraid to use it.

In my musings of a ST series taking place on a Klingon ship, I thought about how Klingons might be disgusted by human sexuality.  With Klingons, mating is not nearly as habitual as it is for humans.  They can't be that good at it, because they often injure their partners.

You are speaking of TNG "Klingons" not the real TOS Klingon.

Exhibit A:   Kor.  Out thought Kirk and Spock.  Was capable of adapting (quicker than Kirk) when the Organians displayed their godlike power.  Cultured, intelligent and capable.

Exhibit B:  Worf.  Growls at Q and repeatedly tries violence against the Organian level (at least!) power of Q.  Can't handle the responsibility of raising his own son.  Uses lines like "If you were any other man I'd . . ." - don't bluster - do it or shut up.  Taken captive how often and not on purpose?  Simply dumb, brutish and incompetent with no understanding of the honour he claims.

TOS Klingons are more like the men of Gondor.  TNG Klingons are Orcs.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 03:03:35 pm »
I've seen very little DS9 and that isn't among those few that I have seen.  Maybe I'll watch it after I finish going through Mythbusters and The A Team. 

Note My prior post starting with Exhibit A was a copy of something I posted long ago. 

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 03:14:46 pm »
Uses lines like "If you were any other man I'd . . ." - don't bluster - do it or shut up.

You mean like this?

A Lucky Shot

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 03:48:34 pm »
Uses lines like "If you were any other man I'd . . ." - don't bluster - do it or shut up.

You mean like this?

Only for a TNG Klingon.  Can you imagine Kor or Kang or even Koloth acting that way? 

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2014, 04:07:29 pm »

You mean like this?

Only for a TNG Klingon.  Can you imagine Kor or Kang or even Koloth acting that way?

I was just replying to your "do it or shut up " comment, but yeah, I could see Kang killing one of his men for screwing up, and maybe even Kor too, although in a more conventional manner of execution. Kor seemed very entrenched in process. Koloth, not so much as he was more bluster than effective due to the delicate nature of the scam they were trying to run with Arne Darvin.

The Klingon in Friday's Child (can't remember his name right off) seemed pretty violently natured though.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2014, 01:35:52 pm »
So many of you guys look at a D7 and see a penis.  I see a predatory shark.  Are you guys in the closet or do you  just have some form of penis envy?

I see a penis because it looks like a penis.  It has two outward protrusions (balls) at the base, a long neck, and bulbus tip, and a hole in the front of the bulb that stuff shoots out of.  Deep Space Nine even has a scene where a bird of prey docks by having the tip mate against a recessed area in the station's docking ring.

You are speaking of TNG "Klingons" not the real TOS Klingon.

Exhibit A:   Kor.  Out thought Kirk and Spock.  Was capable of adapting (quicker than Kirk) when the Organians displayed their godlike power.  Cultured, intelligent and capable.

Kor did not outthink Kirk and Spock, he outnumbered and outgunned them.  As for being "cultured" he was nothing more than an animal dressed like a man.

Exhibit B:  Worf.  Growls at Q and repeatedly tries violence against the Organian level (at least!) power of Q.  Can't handle the responsibility of raising his own son.  Uses lines like "If you were any other man I'd . . ." - don't bluster - do it or shut up.  Taken captive how often and not on purpose?  Simply dumb, brutish and incompetent with no understanding of the honour he claims.

TOS Klingons are more like the men of Gondor.  TNG Klingons are Orcs.

Worf does express his dislike of Q vocally, but I don't think I ever remember him trying to physically attack him.  As for Worf not taking responsibility for Alexander, part of the problem was that Kaylar spent his early childhood teaching him that Worf's values and traditions were garbage, but I really can't defend him.  And even Martok seemed shocked at how bad their relationship was.

TOS presented the Klingons from the point of view of a people on the verge of all out a partial picture of the animals which made them look more duplicitous and dangerous than they actually were.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2014, 04:04:16 pm »
One thing that has always bothered me about Errand of Mercy was that the Organians were adamant about non-violence enough to try to conceal and protect Kirk and Spock and were obviously aware that their council chambers were bugged, but let Kirk hang himself anyway by revealing himself to the Klingons.