Topic: Requesting ancient SFC1/2 mod extraction utilities  (Read 2527 times)

Offline GnomePuncher

• Ensign
Requesting ancient SFC1/2 mod extraction utilities
« on: August 09, 2014, 08:49:42 pm »
I cannot find any tools to extract those unusual .mod ship model files. All links are dead. I see some modelers are still active, so I think they are still some tools in circulation.

Forgive me for starting a new tread. :/

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
Re: Requesting ancient SFC1/2 mod extraction utilities
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:41:18 am »
you should not need to extract them they are in folders in the games directory, with folder names like FCA or KCA.
if you are talking about importing them to MAX or another editor, then you will have a problem.
the problem will be that those tools, except Milkshape, are pretty much gone and I am not so sure the newest versions of Milkship will still alow import/export to mod files.

if you are talking about adding ships to the game well thqat is a different topic
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Darkdrone

• Drone
  • Lt.
  • Unimatrix One
    • Unimatrix One
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 04:41:20 am »
you should not need to extract them they are in folders in the games directory, with folder names like FCA or KCA.
if you are talking about importing them to MAX or another editor, then you will have a problem.
the problem will be that those tools, except Milkshape, are pretty much gone and I am not so sure the newest versions of Milkship will still alow import/export to mod files.

if you are talking about adding ships to the game well thqat is a different topic

they are plugins for Max4,5 and Gmax plus Milkshape 3d all still work fine
I use the plugins for Gmax for my modding needs if this is what you after let us know please I can upload them somewhere for you

Darkdrone

Offline GnomePuncher

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 03:10:17 pm »
Sorry, I was unclear. To clarify, I'm looking for the tool suite used by people to extract and import the mod files. I want to extract the 3d models of the SFC ships, but I can't find any tools that arn't inaccesible due to hyperlink rot. I see plenty of people still making things like... say a pack of more SFBish Gorn starships, and I guess that the programs and plugins used to open/create/modify/export .mod files still exist.

I use the plugins for Gmax for my modding needs if this is what you after let us know please I can upload them somewhere for you

Darkdrone
I'm a little unclear about these plugins. If these plugins are for .mod extraction, I'd love to have them. Could I please also have some referral to the tools the plugins... plug into?

@GotAFarmYet?
Oops, wasn't clear. I was talking about importing the .mods to some 3d software, yeah.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:25:57 pm by GnomePuncher »

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 01:08:57 am »
Then talk to DD just PM him and he can set you up.

I would probably go with GMax as it can output to  a few other 3D programs, as well as import from them to get it into a *.mod file
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

intermech

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:26:29 am »
Milkshape still works fine (except that break models have never worked). You can download it here:
http://www.chumba.ch/chumbalum-soft//ms3d/download.html
The recent versions are at the top. Then download the Assimilation Software plugin for importing .mod files toward the bottom.