Topic: Coffee is good for what ails ya!  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Coffee is good for what ails ya!
« on: August 10, 2014, 08:05:01 am »
Or in my case, Tinnitus. I've tried everything for this, even having Nemesis locate me a white noise generator, that I play on my PC to help me sleep, but this new report, shows that coffee may in fact help to alleviate that never ending high pitched tone in my ears.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/ringing-in-your-ears-try-drinking-coffee-study

I was really holding out for Bacon being a cure all, But I'll take coffee as well. Now I'm just one of those simple folk, Coffee , Black, no sugar, no dairy, none of that fancy shmancy syrup.

In fact, it was my Grandmother that got me hooked on Coffee when I was a kid, and she only drank it, when she worked at a telco in Tulsa, that didn't have heating. (It kept her hands warm.)

For those who may not now what tinnitus is like, you all have seen those war movies, where a big bang goes off, and they have that high pitched tone, that is pretty much it to a Tea. Or if you was ever to close to a firecracker, same thing.

I've had this for decades, and have asked doctor after doctor, after doctor, with no answer, no cure, and of course, they can't figure it out.

As a side note, William Shatner also has this problem.

Stephen

ROFL Edit, changed Bitched to pitched. Thanks Javora!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:16:34 am by Sirgod »
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Coffee is good for what ails ya!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 08:35:32 am »
I have the same problem Stephen.  It's to the point now that I am being fitted for hearing aids.  If coffee is the fix for this issue than I'll be dealing with this for a while because coffee makes me sick.

BTW while I don't normally check peoples spelling, you might want to turn that "b" upside down.  lol

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 09:18:20 am »
ROFL, thanks for the spell check buddy. Yeah, I really need hearing aids myself, esp. when talking on the phone, or Teamspeak/Ventrillo, mumble etc.

I wonder if caffeine pills might work in your case brother.  OR shoot, maybe it is just the hot from the coffee that relaxes the nerve endings. I do know, that Aspirin, at least for me, exasperates the problem.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:34:05 am »
Stephen, have seen an audiologist? There are a few things they can do to alleviate the symptoms.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 09:35:12 am »
LOL looks like it's grammar day too. I believe you meant exacerbate. Tinnitus can't get flustered   :crazy2:  ;). I have it too, but maybe it is not as bad as I thought. I really don't notice it anymore unless it is silent, and by now I have learned to ignore it. I haven't seemed to have any significant hearing loss, but I don't go to concerts anymore and bring earplugs with me if I know things probably will get loud.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 09:36:37 am »
Hiya Brush. I indeed have, although not recently.  From what I've been told year after year, there just isn't a whole lot they can do. It might be worth it to check again though, as it has been quite a while.

LOL, Man I tell yeah Corbo, I can't speel worth a damn this morning. Must need more coffee

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 09:47:06 am »
As far as coffee goes, I've never noticed any change when I drank it. I don't like caffeine, so I don't drink it often. You'd think I'd notice more. Besides, at your age you're just trading one problem for another. Which do you hate more: the ringing in your ears or having to get up to pee every thirty seconds.  ;D

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 10:13:32 am »
I drink pop so I more than get my fill of caffeine.  Must be something else in the coffee then.  My audiologist did say that salt makes the ringing worse.  From what I understand, the tiny hair in our ear that vibrate when sound enters the ear doesn't stop moving and that is what causes the ringing.  Been a long time since I was told that so I may have some things mixed up.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 10:44:46 am »
LOL, @ My age, I'd just be happy to be able to pee at anytime :D

I know back when I was drinking , That caused the problem to become more noticeable also.

Stephen