Topic: Ships of the Line Contest  (Read 4984 times)

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Ships of the Line Contest
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:12:18 pm »
I like how the new Star Trek and Star Trek: Into Darkness ships are excluded from the contest.
 :flame:
3 LUCKY WINNERS WILL RECEIVE $500.00

SHIP SCENES WILL BE JUDGED ON:

Theme
    Image Quality
    Composition / layout
    Attention to Detail

Ship must have been seen or mentioned within the Star Trek universe excluding Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness.

Final art must be delivered at 36” W x 18” H at 300 DPI Key elements should be kept 1/2” from edges.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 07:29:21 am »
Thanks for quoting that EoJ, I don't do Facebook.  lol.  While there are more of us old timers fans, we are ageing.  So I understand Paramount bringing JJ Abrams in bring in fresh blood to the series.  Paramount doesn't want Star Trek to die with us.

All of that being said, there is absolutely no reason why the modders here can't totally dominate this competition and get people involved in SFC in the process.  I hope you all show them what this community is all about.  Good Hunting.

intermech

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:52 pm »
What I don't like is this restriction to ships seen or mentioned. How is that a design contest? It is a copycat contest.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 10:24:39 pm »
Thanks for quoting that EoJ, I don't do Facebook.  lol.  While there are more of us old timers fans, we are ageing.  So I understand Paramount bringing JJ Abrams in bring in fresh blood to the series.  Paramount doesn't want Star Trek to die with us.

JJTrek doesn't really appeal to anybody.  It's aimed at 3 year olds.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:01:09 am »
I just keep wondering how long that empty tank can still make money, but they'll keep cranking them out until they don't, just like before. I really hope Axanar can get finished to at least a point of a stand alone movie/pilot.

It does seem strange that they put those restrictions on the models format. Judges are critical enough without all that. It might be a legal thing.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:26:28 am »
Yeah I think Axanar looks like Star Trek's best chance chance to continue on.  But if not, according to Tulwar Star Trek will have some new fans in about 15 years.  lol

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:39:08 pm »
Can't confirm or deny that...  lol

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 12:57:28 am »
Just noticed that this is for the 2016 calendar.  Seems to me they are getting a little ahead of themselves...

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 08:58:20 am »
That or they posted the wrong date...

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 09:24:20 am »
Considering that they should have already printed the first runs of the 2015 Ship of the Line Calender, no I think that would be correct.  Remember 2015 Calenders should be hitting store shelves sometime in September or October... no time to judge the images if it was for the 2015 Calender.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 08:23:35 am »
Actually I participated in the last "contest" that they had ...  Never again.  The winner was actually something of a borrowed idea that flashed across the screens here ... well l sort of.  Most people rejected the idea big time. 
sooooo  since they have something of an odd sense of a "winning idea"  I'm a bit reluctant to get involved. 
BTW...  it should be noted that there were several entries in their last contest that were much better than mine ... and better than the "Winner"  ...  Just my opinion.
If you aim at nothing:  you WILL hit it every time !

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 09:08:39 am »
I just keep wondering how long that empty tank can still make money, but they'll keep cranking them out until they don't, just like before. I really hope Axanar can get finished to at least a point of a stand alone movie/pilot.

It does seem strange that they put those restrictions on the models format. Judges are critical enough without all that. It might be a legal thing.

Axanar is fully funded by their kickstarter campaign.  8)
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 11:56:25 am »
Aha! There you go! ¿Donde estas mi TNG Romulo? Hmmm :huh:

;D

Maybe these contest are rigged. I've seen the entry models too and very often you wonder wtf is going on.

Far be it for me to suggest that the contest itself is rigged...  However, there is something to say about their desire to review submitted genuine new ideas that are still a reflection of "Trek"  (if that makes sense).

IMHO that is the one thing that many of the developers of some of the newer "TREK" games seem to ignore.  I think we have all seen some really fantastic work over the years by folks from all over the world ...  somehow it manages to get ignored and pushed aside for work that is considerably "LESS".

At any rate ...  just my $.02 worth!

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 12:18:42 pm »
It's that way with just about everything Buzzy. It has to do with the fact that they paid for that less than quality work. It somehow makes it "better" because it costs a lot. The same thing happens in companies. They will pay hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars to a consultant to give them advice on how to improve their company when they probably have been getting the same advice for free for years in the suggestion box and have ignored it.

Offline OlBuzzard

• renegade
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 12:28:26 pm »
It's that way with just about everything Buzzy. It has to do with the fact that they paid for that less than quality work. It somehow makes it "better" because it costs a lot. The same thing happens in companies. They will pay hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars to a consultant to give them advice on how to improve their company when they probably have been getting the same advice for free for years in the suggestion box and have ignored it.

Yeah !  I agree!  It's kind of ashamed too!  There are some really talented folks out there.  For myself there is only one or two  (maybe 3 tops) that I've ever done that was worth anything...  One of them I have not posted at all.  (  I prefer to keep it away from thieves ).  I just gets a bit frustrating to see the good stuff consistently pushed aside!

At any rate:  enough I suppose!

intermech

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 08:28:08 pm »
It says: "13 LUCKY WINNERS WILL RECEIVE $500.00."

So there you have it, luck. Quality has noting to do with it. (Means I might have a chance ;) )

Offline Mackie

• Puu jok' unhoittaa juurensa, kaatuu.
  • Lt. Commander
  • The tree that forgets its roots, will fall.
    • stupidfusion
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 05:00:49 pm »
I disapprove of this bs contest. Its good they try, tho.
http://www.stupidfusion.com

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 09:42:34 pm »
Hey Mackie, good to see you again.