Topic: Got some issues. Need some answers...  (Read 2240 times)

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
Got some issues. Need some answers...
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:19:54 am »
First let me say that I hope all you guys/gals and transgendered species are doing well.  can you believe that it's been over 15 years since SFC came out?
in that time my son and daughter have gone from diapers and pokemon to skinny jeans and emo-goth and the ex is still wanting more money.

thanks to those pesky Chinese and their view on American copyright laws I have been able to acquire SFC, SFC-Gold Edition, SFC-EAW and SFC-OP without having to give up a kidney, first born or virgin sacrifice. 

the issues that I have been encountering is with the SFBSPC13 files and finding a proper Ship Edit program.  I look at it this way.  the games are mine.  there is no LAN connection multi-player involved and if I want to go through the game with a shuttle craft that is loaded like a battleship with 10,000 in shields, 50,000 in power, acceleration 100 and the entire 1st Division of the United States Marine Corps. as a boarding party, I'd still get my butt kicked by the Tardis.  but the game is mine to enjoy and Taldren/Interplay have gone the way of the dodo.  I looked on the "Wayback" website and found the customer service number, you know, the 95 cents a minute and long distance charges apply number and called it for giggles.
all I can and will say is never mention the words "lemon" and "party" to me in the same sentence.

so with that said, could someone give me advice/pointers/input on how to get the right info on what to do and especially what not to do with the sfbspc13 file to get my ships to work right.

what I've done so far is rename the fbch to fdn and fbch to just fbc because I have a model that fits into the heavy battlecruiser role very nicely.  I found out that the naming was a developer error and needed to be changed anyway.  renamed the models and path and everything works fine.

I took a FBB and essentially maxed out all specs by a factor of 40.  I can literally run into and bounce off of suns in game.  it kills anything it goes against except other FBB's but when using tractors on any ship, the tractored vessel tows me!  it's like that "In Soviet Russia..." meme.  f-pol TOWS YOU!!!

so what have I done wrong?  and more importantly, how do I make it right?

as always any info is greatly and sincerely appreciated.  thank you and have a blessed holiday season.  only 63 more days until Christmas!

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: Got some issues. Need some answers...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:15:21 am »
What game are you trying to mod? I have never heard of the SFBSPC13 file and I have been playing and modding SFC from the beginning. I did a search for it in OP and came up empty. If it is for SFC3 I have no idea and don't want one  ;).

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:40:01 pm »
No wonder then. I haven't looked at SFC1 for fourteen years. All I can say is that if it is anything like its children there are limits to how much certain values can attain. After that weird things start happening (like trying to add more than 100 points of armor for example).

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:57:09 am »
just to let you all know, I appreciate the input.  I figured it out me-self. 
in SFC1 the sfbspc13 file has a field named "Movement Cost".  I though that if you lower it and raise the fields named "R_L_Warp", "C_Warp", "Impulse", "Apr" and "Battery" you get more power to use and to an extent that is true but in game there is your energy usage and what you're looking for is the first item named "Propulsion Energy Use".  the higher it is, the stronger your ship is versus gravity sinks and tractors.

I adjusted my move cost to experiment with and need to adjust the values of the field named "Acceleration".  with "Acceleration", the logic is the higher the value, in my case 40, the faster you get to speed setting 31.