Topic: My First Kitbash: An Unfortunate Encounter  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
My First Kitbash: An Unfortunate Encounter
« on: October 25, 2014, 01:53:15 pm »
I wanted a Borg planet, but didn't find one, so I made my own. I didn't do the model or the original textures. The model is Taldren's and I didn't have any info in the file I used for the textures, so if anyone recognizes them please let me know so I can give proper credit. The only thing I really did was add the power rings and pulses around the equator and prime meridian and mess with a few glow textures for the green lights. I made two different ones: one with the power pulses on the day side of the planet and one with them on the night side of the planet, both shown here. Each has differently oriented surface features so they don't look exactly alike. I had to use existing models and names, so if anyone with the ability would like to rename the models and pointers to something unique it would be appreciated. If anyone is interested in them let me know. I don't have an upload site, but we can work something out.

I call this An Unfortunate Encounter:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:13:48 pm by Corbomite »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Saturn Rising!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:56 pm »
Fleetdock13 came out with new planet skins based on actual planets awhile ago and did a really good Saturn planet, but kept the same original ugly rings. I suppose it was because there were no good shots of them at the time. Well, thanks to the Cassini probe that has all changed and we have good high res shots of the rings now from above. I decided to give them a go and this is the result. I made the model a lot bigger also to really get that gas giant feel. That first shot is from 125+ away! The second shot you almost have to play Where's Waldo with the ship. Original model: Taldren. Planet textures: Fleetdock13 by way of NASA. Ring graphic NASA/JPL. The shadowed part was the hardest since the original image was from actual space and the dark part of the rings was completely black, as in not there at all, so those I had to do myself. I wish I had a better program.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:48:33 pm by Corbomite »

Offline Bernard Guignard

• Cad Schematics are our Speciality
  • Lt.
  • Trek Canon!!! I NO believe in TreK Canon!!!.
Re: My First Kitbash: An Unfortunate Encounter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:29:32 am »
Some nice work there.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 01:36:59 pm »
Thanks!  :) I've actually gone in and cleaned them up a bit since then. I also noticed that a few of the FD13 skins have some seam issues that I am going in and fixing too. The way you accomplish it is rather bizarre and it doesn't seem like it will work when you are doing it, but it does. If I can get better at it I might take a stab at the poles next. They have their own set of issues.

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:27:51 pm »
 ;D Always good to return to some strange new worlds... Nice!
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Scottish Andy

• First Officer of the Good Ship Kusanagi
  • Lt. Commander
  • New and improved.
    • Starbase 23
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:04:53 am »
Are these planets available for download? They look really great and I want them for my system back drops.
Come visit me at:  www.Starbase23.net

The Senior Service rocks! Rule, Britannia!

The Doctor: "Must be a spatio-temporal hyperlink."
Mickey: "Wot's that?"
The Doctor: "No idea. Just made it up. Didn't want to say 'Magic Door'."
- Doctor Who: The Woman in the Fireplace (S02E04)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 12:04:24 pm »
Are these planets available for download? They look really great and I want them for my system back drops.

So would I, but I lost them in an OS reinstall and haven't got round to doing them again.