Topic: There Ought To Be A Law...  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
There Ought To Be A Law...
« on: December 05, 2014, 05:25:54 pm »
About remaking/rebooting already grade A films. This is just getting ridiculous. Adam was right in the Terminator thread. Why can't these people come up with new good stuff instead of rehashing old stuff? Below is a list of the only legitimate reasons (IMO) to remake/reimagine an already good movie (and even then it doesn't always need it):

1) A remake of a silent classic to a sound classic (like Ben Hur).

2) A remake of a black and white classic to a color classic (like Mutiny on the Bounty - 1962 version).

3) A remake of an academy aspect ratio (1.375:1) classic to a widescreen classic (like Scarface).

4) A remake of a B-movie classic into an A-movie classic (like The Thing - 1982 version).

And that's it. All other reasons are not important. A good movie is a good movie, and if it tells the story right the first time it doesn't need to be "modernized" or "updated".

That's my 2¢ anyway.

EDITED: for clarity
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:18:27 pm by Corbomite »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: There Ought To Be A Law...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:50:20 pm »
Wait, isn't ''The Thing'' 1982 a remake of "The Thing from Another World" 1951,

Yes.

but I could of sworn another "The Thing" was remade in 2011...

And it shall never be spoken of again.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:53:44 am »
The problem isn't remakes, Hollywood has been doing that since the very beginning. The problem is remakes that are not even as good as the original.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 10:36:33 am »
An old post of mine giving my attitude on remakes.

When deciding whether or not to do a remake film makers should ask themselves certain questions:

1/ Is it a classic?

2/ Is there a problem with the quality of the existing copies?

3/ Has the viewing technology changed so much that most people can't see the original?

If the answer to 1/ is yes and neither of the others is yes then just DON'T touch it.

If you want to do a remake what you should choose is  movie where the story could have been a classic but that rendition was too flawed to make it so.  Then you can have a chance to make a new classic out of a failed attempt.

Has a classic film ever been remade and resulted in another classic?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 10:46:59 am »
In answer to your last question in that quote: Yes, I listed several and there are more. Of course there are others that  are never  better than the classic. They keep remaking Robin Hood, but the Errol Flynn 1938 version is still the best.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 05:07:53 pm »
Heh, I don't know Corbo. I think I'm the only guy who enjoyed Sean Connery when he played the older Robin hood, of course it could be argued that more a sequel.

Speaking of remakes that just don't hold up, look no further to any film remade, that was originally a Hitchcock piece.

Now I say that, but I must admit, I do enjoy the way the planet of the apes has been done, not as good without Chuck, but enjoyable.

The make it or break it for me, will be Markie Mark as Steve Austin in the Six Billion Dollar Man. Please keep it as close to Cadin's books as possible, please, please , please. I loved the original movies, the TV series, then the other three movies, but in this day and age, we can handle a bionic man, who will kill.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 08:16:54 pm »
I just hope he fights Bigfoot again!  ;D

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 10:55:14 pm »
That or Death Probe! Those where my two favorite re-occurring bad guys in the whole series.

I still remember him saving that kid who had been fishing, the whole went to Venus plot, the russians...

Good times , good times.

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 01:46:58 am »
Fembots!