Topic: Hex Editing of Starfleet executables  (Read 185210 times)

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: Hex Editing of Starfleet executables
« Reply #460 on: November 17, 2015, 10:09:41 am »
I'm trying to be a good boy and get some work done today but if I get a chance after lunch I'll try it

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• SFC4 Dev
  • Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #461 on: November 17, 2015, 10:30:24 am »
I have been following this thread an should have the range damage tables from the weapons this week.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #462 on: November 17, 2015, 10:37:37 am »
I'm not sure I follow you Exeter; the range and damage tables we're discussing are the stock ones found in the game, and how to change them. Do you mean you'll have theses tables for your SFC4 project?

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• SFC4 Dev
  • Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #463 on: November 17, 2015, 10:41:12 am »
tables, yes, but not sure what version as the correlation between sfc and sfb

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #464 on: November 17, 2015, 10:50:47 am »
Sorry Exeter, but I feel like you're still not being very clear. Would you like the charts? Because the charts used in CE & OP are pretty much the same as each other and usually identical to their SFB counterparts. After all, that's where they came from. Or are you talking about new charts/tweaks that are being discussed? Because most of those are still in flux.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• SFC4 Dev
  • Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #465 on: November 17, 2015, 11:03:33 am »
not sure where these charts are from, trying to follow to put in the new information

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #466 on: November 17, 2015, 11:11:33 am »
Fixed the Suicide Overloaded Fusions in Orion Pirates. They didn't obey the typical range 8.99k limit for overloaded weaponry. They used range 24.99k, like standard Fusions. Now you can set the OL limit at range 0.99k (or 1.99k), and watch AI Hydrans inflict enormous damage with these combat-effective Fusion Beams. The AI seems to love Suicide Overloads...it can actually make them worthwhile with this bugfix.

OP offsets.txt
3A7530: 1f // OL Fusion maximum range x10 // 89.9
DF230: op // Suicide OL range limit: broken (75), same as OL (78) // 75
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:52:36 pm by TarMinyatur »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #467 on: November 17, 2015, 11:31:57 am »
Great find. Fusions are supposed to be scary. Now, really, SOL fusions shouldn't be the go-to for the AI, hence the name "suicide", but still, anything to make the AI more effective.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #468 on: November 17, 2015, 11:42:10 am »
If the Ph-3/G is limited to tractor range, then an AI Hydran will still do decent damage with its Ph-G's until it repels the tractor. Then it will unleash some scary Fusions up close. "Don't overrun a Hydran" is good advice for SFB, but it has been an effective tactic in SFC (vs AI). Going to playtest it now...

Yep, Hydrans are somewhat challenging to defeat. Set the max range of all Fusion Beams to 1.99k and Ph-3/G's to 2.99k. Tried a L-CA+ vs a H-HR+ with 6 Hornet-II's. Lost a few, won a few. Excellent T-bombing is required on the Lyran's part. Disruptors are turned off after one R-15 strike so the ESG can charge. My L-CA+ is toast if I ever let the fighters get closer than 3.0k.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:17:54 pm by TarMinyatur »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #469 on: November 17, 2015, 12:04:56 pm »
Back in the day in SFB, Hydran Command would drop these leaflets on Klingon worlds to discourage thier captains...

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #470 on: November 17, 2015, 03:55:49 pm »
Let me state something in the hopes of understanding the exe better:

Since the ESG Lance has only one bracket (range 0 - 6), the range limiter is the same value (70.0 which equals range 6). If I changed just the range bracket to less , say 5, it would fire only at range 5 or less. If I changed just the limiter to, let's say 3, the range is still 6 but the AI will only fire at 3 or less. If I then changed the range bracket higher, trying 10, I can fire the weapon out to range 10 but the limiter still stops the AI from firing it above range 3. Do I have that right, or does the limiter prevent the Lance from firing past 3, even if the range has been extended?

Just trying ot make sense of all this, thnx

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #471 on: November 17, 2015, 04:19:43 pm »
I use the Lance for the Monster Close In Defense System. It makes fighting the Doomsday Machine... interesting.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #472 on: November 17, 2015, 06:24:57 pm »
Yes. That will work.

Or you can copy and paste that line into your offsets.txt and thereafter use the SFC_Editor to choose 75 or 78.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #473 on: November 17, 2015, 07:57:44 pm »

Okay, Im home, just checked my notes, in HexEdit the address for the ESGL range limitation is DDF32 (D8 1D 1C 09 7A), 7A091C or 3A091C(HexEdit) is a value of 00 00 8C 42 = 70.0, redirect D8 1D XX XX XX, thats all

Adam

Thanks. I've isolated the range limiter. Six functions shared that 70.0f.

You may add this line to your Orion Pirates offsets.txt:
3A0958: 1f // [2.554] ESG maximum range x10 // 69.9

...then...

HexEdit DDF32: D8 1D [1C 09 7A 00] -> [58 09 7A 00] to redirect the function to find that 69.9f

The Lance's brackets, 40.0f and 70.0f, seem to only affect the HUD's damage estimator. The ESGL range limiter enables the Fire button. If the range limit is greater than the bracket, the ESGL ignores the bracket's implied maximum range.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:09:22 pm by TarMinyatur »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #474 on: November 18, 2015, 10:24:00 am »
do you think stacking is in the exe? Again, I'm no expert, but I sorta thought that would be handled by something else that the exe launches. Like the music - the exe is not a music player, the exe starts software that plays the wav files. Stacking in the ini is part of the "3D section," has anyone seen any references to lowres/windowed/lighting, etc., in the exe? Or could your ghosting problem be a problem with the models you're using, since they're not stock models?

Edit: Adam, You got me staring at the sfc.ini and there were a few lines I forgot or never knew, so I did a forum search for any threads that might fill in the gaps, and, lmao, I found a thread from 2003 with that same question from you Adam.  ;)

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163143841.msg1122375834.html#msg1122375834
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:35:22 am by TAnimaL »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #475 on: November 18, 2015, 11:36:34 am »
I get what you meant by ghosting and what you were asking, I just think it would be someplace else other than the exe, but idk, maybe it's in there someplace. Maybe tho there's a upper end to how big the models are expected to be. When you say you scale them higher, are you enlarging the actual .mod, or are you changing the model.siz file? I've had good luck altering that file; I wonder if you could scale down the stock models to make yout TNG models work better? The FCA is 8.47 in the model.siz - you could halve that to 4.23 and see how it looks, esp in regard to the stacking.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #476 on: November 18, 2015, 02:56:00 pm »
Going to try to fix another bug with the Fusion Beam. It cannot do any damage at range 8.01 to 8.99 when overloaded (including Suicide OL). I was able to fix this in SFC: Community Edition...

Fixed. The maximum range is determined by three floats! I've disabled the effect of two of them, which were redundant and incorrect (8.0k instead of 8.99k).

HexEdit StarfleetOP.exe
DF230: [75] -> [78] // Enforces an overloaded range limit on Suicide Fusions
DF321: [77 C9] -> [90 90] // Bypasses redundant range limit for OL Fusion
DF343: [77 A7] -> [90 90] // Bypasses redundant range limit for Suicide Fusion

The float at HexEdit 3A7530 will determine the max range for both overloaded modes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:50:24 pm by TarMinyatur »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #477 on: November 18, 2015, 05:09:57 pm »
Humm... i was looking the backups i have here, to organize things a bit, and i noticed i have so many things...
Currently [SFC CE + v2673 + repaired_campaigns.mct.zip + Ancient mod] its the recomended version right? I have a v2674 but don't know if its ok to use. Would be great to have a pack to install on top of CE iso. Like a major update. Everything togheter. I've got some mods here for EAW, with sounds and textures. CE iso has some zip files like fonts.zip or the ones inside assets/sounds (dunno if they are to unzip), etc. i'm trying to install everything right on a fresh virtual machine running xp. Win10 gives me problems with everything. I'm a bit lost.
Would be so great if we could pack the good things that were released into a zip (sounds, textures, models, fixes, etc) and put it on front page.

About orion pirates, are you close to that version you have been talking about?
You've all been posting a lot of updates recently. :)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 06:35:04 pm by d4v1ks »
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #478 on: November 18, 2015, 09:11:05 pm »
Don't look at me man, I just work here  :D

Seriously, I'm not sure who is lead on this OP 2553 and how close we might be; if we agree that it's the vanilla update, it could maybe happen in the next month. I like the idea you have dv for something on the "front page," and this OP 2553 would just be the exe and maybe a readme (unless someone can come up with an installer?).

In regards to the Fusion Tar, as usual great work and as usl I'm  a little confused. The disabling you did is in your modded exe, right? So I can't include those into my offset.txt for SFC_Edit yet? Seeing the OL fusions stopping at 8.0 makes me think that there was some error copying things over from SFB, like not taking into account the extra 99/100ths (SFB OL Fusion beams stop "at" 8).

I'm attaching the latest offset.txt for SFC_Editor below (and deleting the prior one) but I ran into a problem with a offset you shared a few post back Tar for "ESG maximum range" (at 3A0958 in HxD). The floats there are not "69.9". Was this for the updated version only? This new offset file does include the proper cloak adjustment, fusion OL max range and the option points for Suicide OL Fusions and P-G2 range limiters.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #479 on: November 18, 2015, 11:06:51 pm »
Carlos,

In 2.674, I tried to fix the problems associated with capture. I made progress! But capture involves other functions that I couldn't identify. 2.674 will crash when the AI attempts to capture a fighter. If a player attempts to capture a fighter, the battle continues normally. 2.674 can be retired.

2.675 will be the next unofficial patch for CE. At the moment, I'm looking at Orion Pirates. Finding stuff in OP can help me locate stuff in CE, and vice versa.

TAnimal,

Yeah, maybe we should start a new thread for the vanilla OP patch. It can be confusing with bugfixes and enhancements being developed independently.

3A0958: 1f // [2.554] ESG Lance maximum range x10 // 69.9

This offset requires 2.554.