Topic: Opinions wanted  (Read 12619 times)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
Re: Opinions wanted
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 04:59:58 pm »
Mostly Memory Beta and reading the books.  images for some of the classes and what class they are is in the wiki.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 06:01:16 pm »
Will be dding more details and some images in the projects area, The Dunzel project.

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/board,3335.0.html

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 06:54:57 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:13:12 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 07:26:39 pm »
About 13 of the fed classes are combat vessels.  The klingons are of more concern.

Models have been of major concern for me, I may have to take up model mking  :)   If I can get 4 models I can finish building and testing the game.

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 07:57:18 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:13:03 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 08:27:15 pm »
That is my intent.  For mods and 2d graphics.

Also, people will gladly offer opinions for improvement then.

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 04:36:56 am »
Starfleet is still in its infancy during the four year war and is supplemented by vulcan and andorian warships, the characters of axanar say as much tgemselves in the war documentary. It would be suitable to have only a handful of classes, supplemented with race-specific ships (vulcan abd andorian for the feds, perhaps nausicaan mercenaries for the klingons). Romulans should be playable ib conquest and skirmish modes.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 07:17:36 am »
Starfleet is still in its infancy during the four year war and is supplemented by vulcan and andorian warships, the characters of axanar say as much tgemselves in the war documentary. It would be suitable to have only a handful of classes, supplemented with race-specific ships (vulcan abd andorian for the feds, perhaps nausicaan mercenaries for the klingons). Romulans should be playable ib conquest and skirmish modes.

No. According to the prelude to Aanar vid, Starfleet ships were crewed by different races so the Klingons never knew who they were up against. Your statement is invalid. The Klingons would have known exactly who they were fighting if Vulcan and andorian ships were in the mix.
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 08:20:44 am »
We only need to figure out tactics for different races. 

As for different races ship, the focus should be on Klingon and Federation ships and can add in Romulan later.  I will keep the game set for 8 playable races.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 12:11:04 pm »
Some dditionl researh, the Acharnr class is based off the constitution, less advnced sensors, no research facilities, less powerful weapons.  Same with the Bonnommee Richard clas.

Same or the D6 similarity to the D7.

The novels the Four Years War will be guide ( volumes, 2 re done).  They are free.   http://www.stephenfender.com/

And this link i ship classes, names of ships and some details o thes ships.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 01:04:03 pm »
The Four Years War is takes place roughly 80 years after the foundation of the Federation (2241)  Any race specific ships at this time would have been relegated to reserve and militia status.  They would all be nearly a century old, and worthless on the Klingon front.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 01:36:24 pm »
I am reading the books, as there is better detail.  This provides linkage to James Kirk entrance to the academy and Pike getting the Enterprise.

It also provides some ships that are available, and some storyline.

I am thinking to use the books as he basis and the author has indicated they can be considered fan produced, nd the first 2 are free.  He is also got the project on Kickstarter.  I will send him a courtesy email.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 12:17:28 am »
I am reading the books, as there is better detail.  This provides linkage to James Kirk entrance to the academy and Pike getting the Enterprise.

It also provides some ships that are available, and some storyline.

I am thinking to use the books as he basis and the author has indicated they can be considered fan produced, nd the first 2 are free.  He is also got the project on Kickstarter.  I will send him a courtesy email.

I'd guess he'd be pretty receptive, based on the fact that he has used Starfleet Command models in the composition of the covers for his novels.

I'm sure that you are fully aware that his novels are based on the FASA Star Trek supplement The Four Years War.  I bring that up simply because you may be treading into FASA Copyright territory, and I'm not sure if that involves IP hell or not...

As I said, I'd think that Stephen will be pretty receptive though.

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 07:44:25 am »

No. According to the prelude to Aanar vid, Starfleet ships were crewed by different races so the Klingons never knew who they were up against. Your statement is invalid. The Klingons would have known exactly who they were fighting if Vulcan and andorian ships were in the mix.

You're right, I remembered that completely wrong. Still, I think it's safe to assume there wouldn't be 15 different starship classes on either side, at least not without counting freighters, troop transports and minor race allied ships. Late 24th century Starfleet may have an ungodly budget and number of shipyards, personnel, etc... so they can waste resources developing a new class for every niche role, but for the early 23rd century the standard 6 or 7 classes for Starfleet and the KDF would be better.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 11:46:24 am »

I'd guess he'd be pretty receptive, based on the fact that he has used Starfleet Command models in the composition of the covers for his novels.

I'm sure that you are fully aware that his novels are based on the FASA Star Trek supplement The Four Years War.  I bring that up simply because you may be treading into FASA Copyright territory, and I'm not sure if that involves IP hell or not...

As I said, I'd think that Stephen will be pretty receptive though.
[/quote]

I tend to email both, but only use the idea and then story from the book.  I will email both and ask.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 11:51:28 am »

You're right, I remembered that completely wrong. Still, I think it's safe to assume there wouldn't be 15 different starship classes on either side, at least not without counting freighters, troop transports and minor race allied ships. Late 24th century Starfleet may have an ungodly budget and number of shipyards, personnel, etc... so they can waste resources developing a new class for every niche role, but for the early 23rd century the standard 6 or 7 classes for Starfleet and the KDF would be better.

A small number of models is a good idea.

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 12:24:02 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:12:40 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
to O'Brien

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 02:36:41 pm »
What alwys gor me was DS 9.  The way it ended was stupid.  What now,  The federation did not stop. 

Based on episodes the founders hd been infiltrating for decades, now hat?

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 03:54:21 pm »

Based on episodes the founders hd been infiltrating for decades, now hat?

No they weren't.  The founders only found out about the existence of the federation after the wormhole was discovered seven years earlier.  They couldn't have been infiltrating for decades.  One thing I do think they dropped the ball on was what they could have done with Sisko's ending.  He told Cassidy that his life was non-linear, and that he could show up again at any time past, present, or future. That would have been the perfect setup for a guest appearance on Enterprise.

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 04:52:26 pm »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:11:42 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
to O'Brien