Topic: Can't patch or install OP on Windows 7  (Read 2112 times)

Offline BellaStrega

• Lt. Junior Grade
Can't patch or install OP on Windows 7
« on: February 12, 2015, 07:05:53 am »
So I recently decided to mess around with Starfleet Command again - was able to install and run SFC, SFC II, and SFC:OP. I used the instructions from this thread to do it, and all was well. Mostly. I had issues installing the OP+ enhancement package (mostly the SFCII campaigns didn't install correctly), so I uninstalled it and Orion Pirates so I could have OP on a fresh install, except it wouldn't reinstall.

So I installed it on an XP machine (not mine, and it has no sound) and copied the files back to my computer, and the fresh installation, run as admin, and it runs. Unfortunately, I can't get the patch to run, which means no OP+. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:09:35 am by BellaStrega »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: Can't patch or install OP on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:46:39 am »
Quote from: Bonk
My recommendation is to disable AV, create a folder C:\SFC, run Setup.exe from the CD as Admin (browse to it, don't go from autorun) no compatibility mode necessary, just run setup.exe as admin and install to a subdirectory of the SFC folder you created above. Patch. Then re-enable AV. Make a shortcut to StarfleetOP.exe and run it (to skip movie so CD key entry works).

I would go a step further: Disable User Access Control (UAC) if you don't need to share your computer. Do not install anything to the problematic Program Files unless you are forced to do so.

Download the 2.525 OP patch from http://www.dynaverse.net/downloads.php?game=SFC2%20OP. Apply it after you run the game at least once in default version. Get the 4.1.1 OP+ Patch from Firesoul's site. Apply that mod last.

No multiplayer Dynaverse exists currently. Aside from that issue, SFC1, 2, OP, and CE all run fine on my up-to-date Windows-7 64-bit laptop. No "compatibility" modes are necessary.

You shouldn't need to use regedit to clear old OP entries from your registry.

Offline BellaStrega

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:17 am »
That patch just does the same thing and fails to patch.

I am going to patch it on the XP system I think.

Offline BellaStrega

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 01:15:17 am »
So the XP computer is pretty bad and wouldn't run SFCOP.

So I had to install SFCOP, copy it over to my computer, then register the serial number.

Then I had to run the patch on the XP computer, and copy the patched SFCOP over to my computer, and overwrite the registered version, and when I started it, no need to reenter the serial # (which I think can't be entered on a patched install anyway?).

This actually worked.

I feel like I'm making this more complex than it needs to be, but it's working so yay.

Offline BellaStrega

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 12:22:36 am »
And now the formerly working installation has started crashing. Using a backup copy doesn't help. I attempted to run both a version that was only patched to 2.552 and a version that was updated with the additional missions/campaigns and OP+ from Firesoul's site, both of which were working last week.

May try reinstalling to the other machine and copy back over.

This is extremely frustrating.

Turned out it was not running as admin. Weird. Everything's copacetic again.