Topic: Blade Runner II? I don't know whether to laugh or cry...  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Blade Runner II? I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
« on: February 27, 2015, 06:24:35 am »
Harrison Ford In New Blade Runner Movie

I usually wait for these things to come out, but I'm just going to go ahead and say it's gonna suck. I've been unimpressed with Ridley Scott ever since Gladiator.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Blade Runner II? I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:16:11 am »
If it does suck it will probably be because of the technology changes of the past 30+ years.  Then again people thought the same thing about the Tron reboot and I thought it was pretty good.  I have to wait and see, but I wonder who is going to play Rachael...

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 07:24:10 am »
I actually liked the Tron sequel even though I never really liked the original. Tron: Uprising was awesome. Too bad Disney killed it.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 10:47:49 am »
The safe path to take with these late sequels/remakes/reboots is to assume it will suck and if it does you won't be surprised and if it doesn't life is good.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 04:08:54 pm »
There was a series of I think 3 books, that where made in the blade runner universe.

Of course, I can't recall, if Dick was associated with them or not, as it's been so long ago.

anyways, normally, I'd be torn, but I'm actually pretty interested in this one. The whole shared Universe with Alien, has really peaked my interest the last few years, even if I am the only person on Earth who liked Prometheus.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:32:05 am »
funny, I had never heard of the book sequels before. According to sources, they weren't by PKD but by his friend K W Jeter, and tried to connect the movie to "Do Androids Dream..." more.

I've never cared for the movie (I actually walked out of a film class in college when the prof said BR was the best sci-fi film ever and she would brook no discussion on the topic), so I care little about a sequel to it, especially given Scott's involvement (Prometheus, ugh). Some people like it tho,so I think Brush Wolf;s approach is the smart way.

In a related/unrelated development, I'm more exctied about this sequel
http://io9.com/holy-xenomorphs-neill-blomkamp-will-be-making-his-alie-1686663351

Apparently it will go, Alien, Aliens, and then this movie

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 05:59:31 pm »
I hear ya Brushwolf and Animal.

heh , I remember when S.E. Hinton had a movie come out, about gangs in Tulsa, can't recall the name right now, which shows how much I cared for it. But I was in 6th grade, and failed the report on it. Seems my teacher was a friend of hers, and because I didn't like it, didn't want to spend time watching it in class, and didn't see how in the hell gang violence of the 50's in Tulsa, dealt with reading in the 6th grade made any sense, she failed the paper.

Later on, on a whim, I was talking to my old comp teacher from rogers state, and eventually showed her the paper. Nothing was wrong with the paper, and it was , as she said"Well written for a 6th grader".

Oh how me and that teacher clashed though. yeah, I was a stubborn little sh*t back in my youth.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 11:45:04 am »
The movies that do justice to their source material the best seem to be productions from outside of the Hollywood system even if they are released through that system. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is an excellent example of how to translate from book to screen but not requiring the viewer to have read the book. It can be accomplished.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.