Topic: R.I.P Harve Bennet  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
R.I.P Harve Bennet
« on: March 05, 2015, 08:36:17 pm »
http://deadline.com/2015/03/harve-bennett-dies-star-trek-movie-producer-1201387026/

Harve Bennett, the producer who helped guide four of Paramount’s Star Trek movies in the 1980s and produced TV series Mod Squad, The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman, died Wednesday in Oregon. He was 84 and becomes the latest key figure lost from the seminal Star Trek franchise following Leonard Nimoy’s death February 27.

After executive stints at ABC and CBS and co-creating Mod Squad, Bennett had a hand in creating or producing some of the most iconic sci-fi series on TV including serving as exec producer on both The Six Million Dollar Man (he voiced the opening credits, according to Bennett in a 2008 Archive of American Television interview) and The Bionic Woman.

Bennett then moved to Columbia Pictures Television as a TV producer where his shows included  Salvage 1, the miniseries The Jesse Owens Story and A Woman Called Golda, which was Ingrid Bergman’s final role and which co-starred Nimoy. Such creds led Bennett to the Star Trek movie franchise, eventually teaming with director Nicholas Meyer on the second movie in the series, Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan — which featured the death of Nimoy’s character Spock — after cramming for the writing gig by watching every episode of the TV series. The pic’s success sealed the franchise’s place and led to Bennett producing Star Treks III, IV and V.

----------

More at link
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: R.I.P Harve Bennet
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 10:02:50 am »
after cramming for the writing gig by watching every episode of the TV series.

Right there you have the first reason he succeeded where others have failed in similar situations.  He set out to understand what he was continuing and tried to maintain the essence instead of "making it his own". 

R.I.P.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 06:27:57 am »
Exactly Nem. That point stood out to me also.

It is even sadder , for me anyways, when I think that two of my child hood heroes, Kirk and Steve Austin, where so heavily influenced by his direction. Sure they where fictional, but damn, you don't see good guys these days who do the right thing, and damned be the consequences. (Of course this is more apparent in 6mdm. )

Stephen
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 09:27:40 am »
Exactly Nem. That point stood out to me also.

It is even sadder , for me anyways, when I think that two of my child hood heroes, Kirk and Steve Austin, where so heavily influenced by his direction. Sure they where fictional, but damn, you don't see good guys these days who do the right thing, and damned be the consequences. (Of course this is more apparent in 6mdm. )

Stephen

More recent fictional ones, Jack O'Neill SG1, John Sheridan Babylon 5 for two.  Super hero comics still exist because they are still the ideal many would love to believe they could be given the power. 

Real life ones as well Cops and firefighters for two categories (each of which do have bad ones as well).  Civilians who see a problem like a fire and run to help rather than run away.  You probably don't like him but consider Snowden, he did what he thought needed to be done knowing it would ruin his life and make many call him traitor. 

There are many unsung heroes out there whose actions never make the news.  They ran to help fight a fire but the real fighters got their first.  How about people who research and debunk false/misleading reports put out by companies and governments?

Lots of heroes and just good people still around.  The bad ones however are more in your face so are seen more. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."