Topic: Death to Internet Explorer!  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Death to Internet Explorer!
« on: March 22, 2015, 03:54:55 pm »
This may surprise some by NOT being an anti Microsoft posting.

Link to full article

While Microsoft has dropped hints that the Internet Explorer brand is going away, the software maker has now confirmed that it will use a new name for its upcoming browser successor, codenamed Project Spartan. Speaking at Microsoft Convergence yesterday, Microsoft's marketing chief Chris Capossela revealed that the company is currently working on a new name and brand. "We’re now researching what the new brand, or the new name, for our browser should be in Windows 10," said Capossela. "We’ll continue to have Internet Explorer, but we’ll also have a new browser called Project Spartan, which is codenamed Project Spartan. We have to name the thing."
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Re: Death to Internet Explorer!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:53:47 pm »
That don't get me surprised.
I had read something about the direction that was going in the past.
For example:

http://www.nczonline.net/blog/2013/07/02/internet-explorer-11-dont-call-me-ie/

It seems that Microsoft has gone out of their way to ensure that all existing isIE() code branches, whether in JavaScript or on the server, will return false for Internet Explorer 11

Any sniffing code that looks for “MSIE” now will not work with the new user-agent string

Additionally, there are changes to the navigator object that also obscure which browser is being used:
•navigator.appName is now set to “Netscape”
•navigator.product is now set to “Gecko”
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:32:40 pm »
I know it did that for the Beta (pointed it out here at the time) does the final version do it (is it even out?  I don't use it myself).
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:44:04 am »
Other than needing a way to get to the internet after a fresh install I wouldn't even miss I.E. if it really was removed, I use Waterfox (64 bit Firefox) and Chrome exclusively.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:41:51 am »
Most of my browsing is Firefox on 64 bit Linux (a small amount using Seamonkey on the same Linux), a little on Windows 7 64 bit with Firefox.  Haven't used IE except at work since IE 5 and no IE at all for nearly 7 years.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 03:53:54 pm »
Firefox user here as well. although, I do have chrome and FF both on the wifes laptop.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:09:11 pm »
Chrome was the only browser that didn't cause my "good" XP machine to lock up, requiring holding the power button in for 5 seconds to turn the machine off, so I could reboot and try another browser.  Yes, the machine could stay locked up for hours on Firefox or Safari.  Chrome was the only 3rd party browser that didn't fail this way.

In any case, the computer I'm using now, for games, general surfing, and television is on borrowed time.  I've never continued using a machine this broken, before.  I just can't go down to the local shop and buy something in the markdown corner.  They're all Win 8 machines, and I cannot use that OS.

Windows 8 is leading to "Cloud Computing," and MS is not going to deviate from this model.  Windows 10 is only going to do this better.  Software will become subscription services, costing the end user, over some period of time, considderably more than "buying programs."  Should they're "upgraded" OS's not be compatable with software libraries MS no longer wants to support, so much the better.  I still subscribe to the idea that, "I bought it, and I'm gonna use it until, you know.

Astrends go, only the Commies who produce Linux code are going support new hardware.  This would be a dead end if computer hardware were built by capitalists.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary