Topic: Windows 10 release a wave not a point  (Read 11950 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Windows 10 release a wave not a point
« on: May 02, 2015, 02:31:36 am »
Link to full article

“There are devices and features that will come not on the launch date but following it. Our main focus is to kick off with a great launch on the PC. Other devices, phone, HoloLens, Xbox, Surface Hub, will be staggered, probably not on the same date as the PC.

“That is also true of features," he added. "There are some features that we’ve talked about that won’t be there on launch day. For example, extension support in the Edge browser won’t be there on launch date. The Win32 app support in the Store won’t be there on launch date. Some enterprise features will also come in the Fall.”

Will Windows 10 be ready in time? The answer to this is also complicated. “The core sections of the OS, they’re pretty close to done. Then you get to the shell, it’s probably 85per cent done. Then you get to the apps, and they are really only 65 per cent done. In part that’s because each part of the layer cake has to depend on the step below it, and because we can update the apps more readily. Those teams have more time. The core is pretty close to where it is going to be,” he said.

Often in the past  Windows/DOS releases have been called by people to be betas but this one is looking more like an Alpha with major features missing or non functional to be added later.  If I WERE going to go Win 10 I'd hold back until the whole thing is released.  Looks like a potential Epic Fail for MS. 

Opinions from the Pro MS people as to why I'm wrong are welcome.  (If any)
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
Re: Windows 10 release a wave not a point
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 03:08:44 am »
An epic fail for MS?  Say it's not so! :(
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:40:23 am »
It depends on how much of a must have the unreleased features are and how "incomplete" the initial release is.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:07:16 pm »
What is supposed to be the browser (MS Edge) is missing extensions.  That to me is a major feature.  Some Enterprise features are apparently missing "till the fall" (or whenever). 

Also the "new" file system that was promised for XP then pulled out and promised for Vista then as a delayed upgrade to Vista still hasn't appeared so how much can one believe anything missing will definitely be added in? 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 08:38:45 pm »
This is NOT my creation:

Wave 1 - raise expectations.

Wave 2 - gouge the gullible.

Wave 3 - release a buggier, slower, plainer version of Windows 7, rebranded as Windows 10.

Wave 4 - after the inevitable class action, own up that Windows 10 requires hardware currently unavailable outside Intel test labs.

Wave 5 - locate the lipstick.

Wave 6 - locate the pig.

Wave 7 - conjoin waves 5 and 6, release as Enterprise Plus Pack for Windows 10.

Wave 8 - increment version number, start at wave 1.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 09:44:47 am »
I'm not exactly sure who they are out to gouge as they have stated that they will give it away to anyone who has Windows 7 or higher. In fact, I'm not sure what they are trying to do.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 12:37:10 pm »
In fact, I'm not sure what they are trying to do.

Neither are they. 

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 01:28:07 pm »
I think they are counting on the fact that no business wants to run window 8 (or 8.1)  Most are still running 7 or XP.  There will be apprehension regarding the upgrade to 10, and the free upgrade only lasts for so long.  I think it's one calendar year, after that you pay for it.  Windows 10, from everything I've seen, is quite stable for a beta.  I haven't done anything with it outside of a Virtual Machine, but I've only had a few minor nuisances with it since April.

Note that it also only applies to upgrades... most of the time you do not want to bother with an upgrade.  A small system corruption can be turned into a massive performance hit when you upgrade an OS.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Strat

• Retired
  • EAW Update Crew
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 02:32:06 pm »
OK, I got baited... So I'll only contribute once...

I read TheRegister for IT news like I watch Fox News for politics. They get a story and hype things up a notch for my taste. I take what their articles say in combination with news sites like ArsTechnica, WinSuperSite, Thurrott, TheVerge, ZDNet, and Engadget, etc for a better view on any one topic. Many of those articles are written by developers, IT admins, and end users, for a balanced view.

I've been running Windows 10 since it was released to public, albeit the slow build, on my own personal and work production systems. And I am excited by what their trying to do.

There are lots of changes to the UI yes, there are changes to how they will roll out updates, and builds going forward, so many things, beyond any one article or convention you watched.

As many articles have stated, they are going for something now even Android has not achieved- a consistent Windows OS ecosystem across devices, with minimal fragmentation (OS versions in the wild all being the same), and consistent development of apps for all those devices, from now on forward. On Windows Phone for example, they are removing the Phone Company from preventing updates, as is the case with Android, but giving people the choice of device, something Apple doesn't offer.

Also what they are trying to do is make Windows a central OS that can give a proper interface/GUI for the device its on, from a Rasbery PI to phone, to tablet, to PC, etc.

On the Dev side, this is really hard to achieve, changing almost every aspect of the OS. While working in a simple app recently, I saw a paper on the changes they were making all the way to drivers in the kernel so that even the driver can be made to work for hardware in a Phone all the way to a PC. All of this while preserving existing apps and drivers functionality. I hadn't read that in the news, or on a dev site, I found it on the MSDN accidentally. There's a lot going on not being covered that has lots of potential in the long term.

One nice thing in the Technical Preview is that they seem to be prioritizing feedback more than ever before. And they have actually applied suggestions between builds.

So I can understand the timing because I see how much they are trying to squeeze into this release. I also was not surprised to see how it will be spread out. But seeing as the update schema will be changing as well.. I'm eager.

And none of this touches the server side stiff going on, which is really cool.

As a disclaimer, I've had all this IT stuff back to the IBM TSR-80, to Android, Apple, MS, etc products today.. I'm tech enthusiast, not a loyalist. I just like to see how technology grows  and achieves over the years. Everyone has their good and bads.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 01:49:06 pm »
Thanks for that even-handed review Strat - it seems that around here most news about MS & Win is greeted with off-the-cuff cynicism and anger loaded with confirmation bias irregardless of the actual news. I'm sure there'll be some issues with Win10 just like there were for 8 & 8.1 (like not running OP) but tech moves forward in fits and starts. FWIW, I've been running high end video software on Win 8.1 for some time now with nary a problem

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 07:07:50 am »
Link to source

Feature deprecation section

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
    Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
    Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
    Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
    Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
    If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
    If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 11:36:16 am »
Link to full article

Windows Update can't be readily disabled in Windows 10 Home, and the license terms that all users must agree to allow Microsoft to install updates automatically.

The Insider Preview releases of Windows 10 didn't include any way to prevent Windows Update from downloading and installing updates, but it wasn't clear if this was just some quirk of the previews or the long-term plan; Microsoft's previews often have special rules for things like providing automated feedback and hooking up online services, and so this could have been part of that.

Build 10240, released to insiders on Wednesday, changes that. This build is believed to be the release-to-manufacturing build that OEMs will preinstall on hardware, and as such, it contains the finalized settings, license text, and so on.

So what if you have a piece of ESSENTIAL hardware/software that is not compatible with the "update"? 

Disaster waiting to happen.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 11:58:36 am »
That alone would cause me to pause getting it, or at least springing for Win10 Pro. I like to have control of my updates. Seems like a stupid plan. If they were better at telling you what is essential, what is highly recommended and what is optional (and I don't mean just putting things in a category; I mean giving a detailed explanation of what it will do you your OS and what not having it could cause right there on the update screen) it would improve the update system greatly. I usually have to go to outside sources to find out what I am getting into. I'll bet most people don't even bother to check.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 07:15:30 pm »
I've seen other people say the same thing. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 10:17:30 am »
Link to full article

Windows 10 will launch in less than a week and it is supposed to work flawlessly on devices already powered by Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, as Microsoft struggled to keep system requirements unchanged to make sure that everything runs smoothly.

Since Microsoft made so many changes to Windows 10 in order to make it work on the majority of devices out there, we performed a quick test to see how smoothly it can run on a 7-year-old Acer Aspire One powered by Intel Atom N450 processor clocked at 1.66 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, and a 320 GB hard disk.

The result is surprising to say the least, as installation not only went impressively fast but Windows 10 also works fast as long as you’re not launching a very demanding app such as Photoshop.

Basically, Windows 10’s system requirements are the following (note that additional hardware might be needed to use special features, such as Windows Hello):
Processor    1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
RAM    1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
HDD space    16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics    DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display    1024x600 pixels resolution or higher

This means that our Acer Aspire One more or less qualifies for the upgrade to Windows 10, but what’s worth mentioning is that this netbook previously ran Windows XP with a resolution of 800x600 pixels.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 09:40:52 am »
Interesting post as always Nemesis.
As i've been always a windows user, hope that windows 10 will bring some life to our outdated machines. :)
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 12:24:48 pm »
As always with any type of review multiple sources are better and knowing the sources motivation as well.  Some "reviews" are motivated by money either pro or con.  This one I can't say how honest it is. 

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 09:32:27 pm »
I guess we'll find out in a few hours...

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 09:46:52 pm »
I guess we'll find out in a few hours...

... or a few days. It seems that there is a queue and they won't be able to get to everyone in one shot. Testers are first, of course.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 07:48:19 am »
Yeah but all those early adapters will be telling us all about it...