Topic: Windows 10 release a wave not a point  (Read 11944 times)

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
Re: Windows 10 release a wave not a point
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 09:58:01 am »
Install files are already on a hidden folder on my Surface Pro 3 tablet, taking the plunge tonight.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 05:45:54 pm »
Link to full article

It's not a one-off purchase, either. To keep the ads at bay, you'll have to pay $1.49/month or $10/year. To be entirely fair, this is the same as on the Windows 8 version, which wasn't installed by default but could be downloaded from the Windows Store. With the fresh rollout of Windows 10 and Solitaire once again being pre-installed, plenty of new users are feeling the sting of the intrusive adverts though, and being asked to subscribe as a solution isn't going down well.

So how long till other more useful parts are ad infested or subscription?
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 04:40:07 pm »
Running Win 10 now.  It looks a little different, but it is more workable right from the get go.  The tile screen from Win 8 is gone, feels a little more like Win 7.  I found a link on how to manage privacy, you can read about it here:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-keep-windows-10-from-spying-on-you-125730399429.html

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 12:06:04 pm »
Link to full article

Windows 10: broken update forces some users into endless reboot loop

Some users of Windows 10 are reporting issues installing one of Microsoft’s first updates for the new operating system, which traps them in a reboot loop.

The KB3081424 update, released on Wednesday, collects a series of smaller updates into one bigger patch designed to make the updating process for new users simpler and easier.

But some users are reporting issues with the update, which reaches a certain percentage of installation before failing and rolling back.

“It downloads, reboot to install. Gets to 30% and reboots. Gets to 59% and reboots. Gets to 59% again and then states something went wrong so uninstalling the update. Wait a few minutes and reboot. Back to login screen,” said Microsoft forum user BrettDM. “This happens without fail, every single time.”
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 09:38:25 pm »
I've been using Win 10 for about a week now.  Once I turned off the Cortana and tracking junk it's better than Win 7 IMHO.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 11:04:39 pm »
I don't know if I want to download it because I'm worried about the mandatory driver updates.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 06:57:34 am »
Doesn't that only apply to the baseline Windows Home? 

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 07:02:26 am »
It didn't ask for any approval for driver updates on my end.  If it did I didn't see anything, but now I'm wondering if it turned off my "ask first" option before updating my machine.  hmmmm...

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 01:54:06 pm »
Doesn't that only apply to the baseline Windows Home?

I thought the pro version only gave you the ability to delay the update until you could make the necessary adjustments to your system.  Skynet will not adapt to you.  You must adapt to Skynet.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 12:51:28 pm »
Running Win 10 now.  It looks a little different, but it is more workable right from the get go.  The tile screen from Win 8 is gone, feels a little more like Win 7.  I found a link on how to manage privacy, you can read about it here:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-keep-windows-10-from-spying-on-you-125730399429.html

But does it stop spying on you?

Link to full article

Windows 10 uses the Internet a lot to support many of its features. The operating system also sports numerous knobs to twiddle that are supposed to disable most of these features and the potentially privacy-compromising connections that go with them.

Unfortunately for privacy advocates, these controls don't appear to be sufficient to completely prevent the operating system from going online and communicating with Microsoft's servers.

For example, even with Cortana and searching the Web from the Start menu disabled, opening Start and typing will send a request to www.bing.com to request a file called threshold.appcache which appears to contain some Cortana information, even though Cortana is disabled. The request for this file appears to contain a random machine ID that persists across reboots.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 08:20:21 pm »
An old post of mine:

Based on things Microsoft has said in the past here is the future:

1/ Rent your software by the month

2/ All digital content verified through Microsoft each time you use it - content provider pays Microsoft to verify it and when they cease paying the content ceases to work.

3/ Microsoft gets to use any information on your system to sell you as a targeted customer for advertisements.

4/ Microsoft effectively owns what you think is your computer

5/ I'll be using Linux only when that day arrives.

Prescient?  Posted from Linux. 

Offline Cpt. Gordon

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 05:05:22 pm »
I'm runnin 7pro and Orion Pirates runs great on here. It's a I7 8core processor, 4 gigs ram, 500gig HD. Played a few times at gameranger. I'm worried about upgrading. I don't want to lose playin my favorite game. Anyone having any luck? and with Cortona, can we just say "Fire Phasers" and we fire. lol. Maybe we can incorporate her in the game.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 07:55:12 pm »
I'm runnin 7pro and Orion Pirates runs great on here. It's a I7 8core processor, 4 gigs ram, 500gig HD. Played a few times at gameranger. I'm worried about upgrading. I don't want to lose playin my favorite game. Anyone having any luck? and with Cortona, can we just say "Fire Phasers" and we fire. lol. Maybe we can incorporate her in the game.

Is it an 8 core i7 (which I haven't heard of) or a 4 core with hyperthreading? 

With Cortana you must give it Majels voice if  you use it in SFC. 

Offline Cpt. Gordon

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 04:24:35 pm »
It is an 8 core. Hard to believe. The task manager shows all 8 when ya bring it up. This laptop is some years old to. I think it was a beta test set up. But this thing runs like a beast. Play SFC-OP great. Never get lag. It says Intel I-7 and shows 8 cores. I think it says 1.6 mghtz a piece. I just don't wont to risk lossin SFC-OP

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 08:53:56 pm »
Thanks.  I looked it up later when I had more time.  They snuck a larger core model past me.