Topic: Axanar-era ships?  (Read 9068 times)

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
Axanar-era ships?
« on: June 08, 2015, 04:31:10 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has a hankering to model any of the Axanar ships.

This one is - interesting... definitely a different take on the standard saucer.

http://i2.wp.com/www.startrekaxanar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Marklin_001.jpg?resize=1280%2C720

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: Axanar-era ships?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:04:22 pm »
I like this Marklin - seems in the same lineage as the "near-canon" Bonaventure from Ships of the Line material.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Bonaventure_class

And of course, we need an Axanar Ares for in-game

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Still Building Models Nobody Wants ...
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:44:43 pm »
That Marklin looks sharp. I really dig it!

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 01:48:48 am »
Maybe it's just the wrong time of day or something, but I am unable to connect with the link ...

Offline I, Mudd.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 01:05:36 pm »
Looks good, Captain Adam.

I might be catching the Four Years War bug myself after watching the Prelude video ...

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:40:25 am »
Just wondering if anyone has a hankering to model any of the Axanar ships.

This one is - interesting... definitely a different take on the standard saucer.

http://i2.wp.com/www.startrekaxanar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Marklin_001.jpg?resize=1280%2C720

There are manny "Axanar-era" ships out there, as the Constitution was launched in 2222, according to the ST Spaceflight chronology and Axanar is happening in 2245. These guys just used the wrong ships, think they convulsively try to connect those JJ-verse pre Enterprise designs with TOS and FASA.  :(

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:35:18 am »
Here's a guest blog by one of the Axanar  modelers for the Marklin Class/U.S.S. Xenophon.  Includes 3 different pics, from different perspectives.

http://www.startrekaxanar.com/the-uss-xenophon/

Also, apparently the U.S.S. Korolev has a physical (plastic?) model in the pipeline.  Here's a link showing the disassembled pieces, along with a promo pic.

http://www.startrekaxanar.com/captains-log-june-23-2015/

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 03:26:58 pm »
... as the Constitution was launched in 2222, according to the ST Spaceflight chronology and Axanar is happening in 2245. These guys just used the wrong ships, think they convulsively try to connect those JJ-verse pre Enterprise designs with TOS and FASA.  :(

The Spaceflight Chronology (1980) can be pretty much ignored as a source, since it has Constitution launched in 2188 and the TMP refit in 2215. The Star Trek Chronology (& the Encyclopedia, etc) has the launch date of 2245, which is why I believe you see it briefly one in spacedock in "Prelude to Axanar." I think they've done a decent job of staying away from JJ-Trek while looking pre-TOS

Offline Terradyhne

• Lt.
    • Terradyhne-yards
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 03:44:20 pm »
I think they've done a decent job of staying away from JJ-Trek while looking pre-TOS

You meen that they are staying away from JJ-Trek, i think you are blind. Just look at that Korolev, looks pretty much like the designs from ST-X which is JJ-Trek.  :hoppin: ::)

"there will be no better worlds with human presence as mankind tends to ignorance, intolerance and selfishness, despite they tell you about themselves"

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 10:39:32 pm »
Intentional. Since JJ Kelvin is canon they wanted to show the "changing of the guard" from POS to TOS.  ;)
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 01:53:30 pm »
i think you are blind.

No need to be insulting, dude. The nacelles, the paint colors, the uniforms = obviously preTOS. You do know the character of Robau, CO of the Kelvin, is part of the story? They're clearly trying to retcon JJ back into real Star Trek. Sorry if anything relating to JJ triggers some sort of PTSD in ya, but chill

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 09:04:38 pm »
I love the double meaning.

HA! I didn't realize when I wrote it that it could stand for "pre-original series" as well.  Unintentional :woot: for me.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 04:06:53 pm »
I like calling JJtrek POS for the other meaning but "Pre-Original Series" would also cover Axanar and that looks really good...

Latest little article on it"
http://io9.com/first-look-at-axanar-the-star-trek-war-movie-weve-wait-1716037166

A couple of quotes Robert Burnett (Prod./Dir.) from the article:
"the actual design of the Starship Enterprise is such that it couldn’t possibility be constructed inside the gravity well of a planet"...
"I’m always looking to add material from the best of the novels. Alec and I talk about John Ford’s THE FINAL REFLECTION a great deal..."
"We’re doing everything we can to make AXANAR feel like canon. "

I think it's safe to say they're on "our" side of the JJtrek debate

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 07:34:24 pm »
As I've noted numerous times, I've been following the daily blog.

As an example of them trying to get 'pre-TOS right', the design of the bridge set  is VERY reminiscent of the TOS Enterprise.  While some control panels and such may get upgraded to touch screens, the layout of the bridge is very faithful to TOS.

And I just compared the Axanar designs to the JJTrek Enterprise design.  Those warp engines on the JJPrise look nothing like TOS, whereas the Axanar engines are at least are in the same neighborhood.

I still struggle with some design elements they've chosen, but all of the ships so far look like they came out of the FASA recognition manuals or something, as well as homage to the Franz Joseph designs, and of course the design of the original ships from TOS.

With JJTrek, yeah the designs feel like  a different universe altogether.  Axanar, so far, feels like it belongs.

Anyways, r.e. my comment about having issues with some of the designs.  On the USS Korolev, you'll note the four shuttle bay doors to either side of the impule engines (2 each side).  My issue with those is twofold - one - dealing with the exhaust from the impulse engines as you try to land (they'd proably need to park/drift/shut off the engines while launchiing and landing - the 45 degree approach angle probably isn't that helpful either), and the proximity to the warp engine struts for two of the doors (seems to me you'd need to avoid a warp conduit or something).  Of course, they could land 'skewed' with the portal at a 45 degree angle relative to  the shuttle, but that seems weird to me.  Plus that reduces the cross section of the door, so you'd have a smaller margin to either side of your shuttle.

I commented on another ship recently (with the struts behind the impulse engines).  While the Axanar ships are quite pretty, I do wish someone would think about such things before slapping things together...

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 09:22:58 am »
I'm not trying to troll you, but I really think they are trying pretty damn hard, so accusations of "just slapping things together" are unfair. You might not like them, and that's your opinion, and you make an interesting point or two, but to me, placement of shuttle bays are waayy down the list in terms of judging Axanar as an episode. I mean, the FX in ST3 were top-notch ILM at the time, but the secondarry hull on Grissom never made any swense to me (how does one get into it? Is it unmanned there?) Potato, potato ultimately. I'm just sticking up for a fellow filmmaker here. And I wasn't implying you don't follow it Eschelon, but there are some of us who don't and there seemed to be a conversation in the interview y'day that wasn't elsewhere.

Just food for thought.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 02:35:18 pm »
I'm not trying to troll you, but I really think they are trying pretty damn hard, so accusations of "just slapping things together" are unfair. You might not like them, and that's your opinion, and you make an interesting point or two, but to me, placement of shuttle bays are waayy down the list in terms of judging Axanar as an episode. I mean, the FX in ST3 were top-notch ILM at the time, but the secondarry hull on Grissom never made any swense to me (how does one get into it? Is it unmanned there?) Potato, potato ultimately. I'm just sticking up for a fellow filmmaker here. And I wasn't implying you don't follow it Eschelon, but there are some of us who don't and there seemed to be a conversation in the interview y'day that wasn't elsewhere.

Just food for thought.

No, my criticism is directed at one or two model makers in Axanar, not the entire production itself.  The work of the production team as a whole so far has been top notch.

Being one of those that purchased the cutaway/peekaboo poster of the TMP Enterprise back in the day, I tend to notice where things are in relation to each other.  And I have deck plans for both the Enterprise and D-7 (courtesy of FASA) and even started to map out the deck  plans for a Federation Class dreadnought for the FASA RPG (with TMP era warp struts no less), using the old school technologies of protractor and large sheets of graph paper.  I'm sure those are still tucked away somewhere...

And yeah, I didn't like the Grissom either... I even have a question or two about the Roll bar on the Reliant, but that design wasn't too out there unlike the Grissom's...

All good modelers/designers should think of function as well as form is all I'm sayin'.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 03:57:40 pm »
...the secondarry hull on Grissom never made any swense to me (how does one get into it? Is it unmanned there?)

By taking the water slides in the struts, silly.  :mischief: