Topic: Minecraft help needed  (Read 1468 times)

Offline NJAntman

• Lt. Commander
  • Jusssst short of a 1000 Taldren posts, damn!!
Minecraft help needed
« on: June 13, 2015, 05:46:17 pm »
My youngest son is now into Minecraft on PC and I've been drafted as the computer support guy. Does anyone know of a legit site for downloading mods for the game? Every site I google up on this is just a teaser with tons of advertising and unwanted apps.

If anyone has a proper understanding of the file structure involved in getting all these freaking updates and mods and skins and packs to work that would make for an awesome tutorial.
G.R.I.P. - Great Rid of Incumbent Politicians

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
Re: Minecraft help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:54:04 pm »
At the moment, not really.  Mojang ... er... I mean Microsoft... kinda went about killing off the modding community by discontinuing support for the Bukkit community, all because they were just about to release a MOD API based on the work that the Bukkit staff did for so many months.  Then they never released it.

You can check out what they still have working at bukkit.org  Some still work, some you have to back up to a previous version (at least they were smart enough to allow for that) of Minecraft to get to work.  Now note that most of these are for servers, but can be used Single Player side as well.

I haven't touched Minecraft in about 7 months, I used to be on it daily for at least an hour, but the direction they took it was just disappointing to put it mildly.  The kids still love it, and I'll play with them on the Xbox when they want, but I haven't touched the PC version in a long time.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)