Topic: SFC3 Multiplayer Login Requires Gamespy Login - How to get past this? SOLVED!!  (Read 46252 times)

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
TOBIN:  Thanks for posting your question so others can benefit as well.  I can see how you got a bit lost on those instructions linked from the Qtracker site (seems it just queries Google so may not be completely accurate).  Use these steps to setup your Primary DNS for Windows 7:

1. Go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
3. Right-click on the connection for which you want to configure (i.e. the internet connection you normally use), then select Properties
4. From the list of items click on the TCP/IP protocol your network adapter uses to connect to the internet (either TCP/IPv4 or TCP/IPv6), then click on the Properties button
5. Choose the radio button for "Use the following DNS server addresses:" and for the Preferred DNS Server type in 63.239.170.150
6. Click on "OK"

DNS 6 steps went smooth thanks. Made firewall change as well. Where do I find the command line in win7-64 for the flush procedure. ( I used to be able to find this stuff in xp :-[)

*My apologies, but I'm going to need some handholding to get through this.

** found command line stuff and flushed dns.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:49:10 pm by FPF-Tobin Dax »
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hey Everyone - I have edited my initial post in this thread with a simplified method (thanks to d4v1ks for the motivation through doing the same with SFCOP!).

I also started up a new campaign on my server (The Nexus) for those wanting to jump into a new multiplayer campaign.  I tweaked with the Victory Conditions a little since the last campaign never seemed to reach the default conditions for victory, so it'll be a little easier to attain.  I also increased the setting so that players won't get auto-deleted after 30 consecutive days of not logging-in (per JPUKE's request who lost his ship because of this in the last campaign).

Beansolo.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
I downloaded the patch but when I try to run it, it tries to open win windows media player. How do I extract and run this?

Thanks.

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hi Tobin,

After you download the GameSpy patcher, unzip it, then run it as Administrator. 

Let me know if you run into any further issue with it.

Beansolo.

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
For those of you comfortable using a hex editor, if you have any trouble using the GameSpy Patcher, you can make these manual hex edits to accomplish the same thing the patcher does for SFC3:

Within SFC3.exe:
Replace master.gamespy.com {there are 2 occurrences in the file} with gsm.qtracker.com
Replace gpcm.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with gsm.qtracker.com
Replace gpsp.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with gsm.qtracker.com

If you are running an SFC3 Server:
Within \Assets\ValidatedClientFiles\SFC3.exe do the same edits as described for SFC3.exe above (this file needs to match the client file exactly)
Within serverplatform.exe:
Replace master.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with gsm.qtracker.com
Within \Assets\ServerProfiles\chat.gf:
Replace peerchat.gamespy.com {only 1 occurrence in the file} with gspcm.qtracker.com

Beansolo.

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
working fine now i was able to get past the direct play thingy and created a new account logged in fine. Started a test server it ran fine and then WAS able to log into it and play.. im on win 7 and all is well...

p.s thanks for the steps  :)

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Hi Tobin,

After you download the GameSpy patcher, unzip it, then run it as Administrator. 

Let me know if you run into any further issue with it.

Beansolo.

what is the "path to binary" supposed to be?

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hi Tobin,

Use the 'Browse...' button to navigate to your game directory (\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Sfc3\) and select the file SFC3.exe.

FOR SERVER ADMINS:  To patch an SFC3 server kit install, use the GameSpy Patcher utility against these 3 files within your server kit folder: 1) serverplatform.exe, 2) \Assets\ValidatedClientFiles\SFC3.exe, 3) \Assets\ServerProfiles\chat.gf

Beansolo.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Thanks. More problems though. Now I am being denied making changes as it says I do not have admin privileges even though I am logged into the administrator account. Any thoughts?

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hi Tobin,

Try copying the file to 'My Documents' and patching it there, then copy the patched version back to the original folder.

Beansolo.

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Hi Tobin,

Try copying the file to 'My Documents' and patching it there, then copy the patched version back to the original folder.

Beansolo.

That worked perfect. I still won't be joining online thanks to more computer crap than I can handle. I'm behind a router supplied by my ISP. I used to be able to get online by just DMZing my computer, but that doesn't work now. I have verified my outside public IP which SFC3 was able to identify, but that's a no go as well. I have Kapersky which is showing an error when I try to access application management, so I am toast after hours of messing around. Anyone remember the good old days of the early 2000s?  :banghead:

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Glad to hear that worked!  Don't give up; you're that much closer now.  ISP supplied routers shouldn't be an issue; you can still access the router's admin page on your LAN to add port forwarding to a static IP you have set up on your computer.  DMZing doesn't always work as it is supposed to anymore; depends on the router.  Besides, I would not recommend using that option since it is overkill and makes your computer extremely vulnerable to outside attack.

I've heard good things about Kaspersky, but have not used it before so I can't provide help on that (maybe you should try to reinstall it?).  All Antivirus software should enable you to add exceptions for applications you have installed. 

Beansolo.

Offline kedronadamant

• Ensign
I've been wanting to setup a LAN server for my wife and I to play together, but the link to the server kit seems to be broken.  Does anyone have a link to that?  Any help/links to directions for setting up the server would also be appreciated.

Cheers!

Offline Beansolo

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hi kedronadamant,

Thanks for letting me know about the broken link to the server kit in my initial post of this thread.  I have fixed it.  Once you install the server kit, there will be a file called D3serverManual.html which contains information on setup.  There's also an online resource written by NuclearWessels at http://www3.telus.net/NuclearWessels/sfc/sfc3dynaguide.html

Beansolo.

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
Are there any servers still online?  I ran through this process- the link to the GameSpy patcher is broken so I used the DNS method.  Eventually got everything working, but there are no Dynaverse servers visible in the list.

Thanks!

Offline AlDaja

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • SFC:III Troubleshooter
    • Starfleet Command Forums
Are there any servers still online?  I ran through this process- the link to the GameSpy patcher is broken so I used the DNS method.  Eventually got everything working, but there are no Dynaverse servers visible in the list.

Thanks!

That I know of, there hasn't been any servers for SFC3 for several years.  I'm hoping someday to have one set up for my Typhon Pact and/or MirrorrorriM mod, but left it out there for anyone who wants to host these mods also.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade

Thanks!

That I know of, there hasn't been any servers for SFC3 for several years.  I'm hoping someday to have one set up for my Typhon Pact and/or MirrorrorriM mod, but left it out there for anyone who wants to host these mods also.

Dang.  Are there any for SFC2?

Offline outlaw78

• Ensign
Hello all!  I was going thru my old computer games and found SFC III in my treasure box. I managed to get it running in Windows 10 with 534b patch, the 16x9 patch and the server list update.  Now I know gamespy was close awhile back but there was a way to get it up and running in multiplayer using "dynaverse".  I have followed every step I have found but to no avail.

My current setup is:
Asus RT-AC68P
Windows 10 Home and Pro

I get to the page where it says it connected, then testing directplay. Not sure if this is failing or not as I have read about UPnP (which I have disabled on both computer and router).  It stays on the "testing" part until another line comes up saying "Still trying for another 89 sec".  It ticks from there until it says that it could not connect using outside IP, switching to internal IP (I have the BehindNat=1 in sfc.ini).  I have also tried it with the IPAddress=xx.xx.xx.xx.

I've opened ports in both port forwarding and port trigger, added exceptions in kaspersky (at least I think I did it right), completely disabled firewalls, put my computer in DMZ and enabled WAN ping.  I've also edited the program file with a hex editor to change the references to the servers since I could not download the qtracker gamespy patcher.

I know that when I first installed, I accidentally installed direct x 8.1 but I deleted the game and folder and started over.  I don't know if this deletes the directx 8.1 files and if that is the problem.

I would really love to get back into the online part as this was the best part of the game when I first got it.  I wish STO had this PvP environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Any way to disable the questions at the bottom of every post to be able to post???
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:47:51 pm by outlaw78 »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
I would really love to get back into the online part as this was the best part of the game when I first got it.  I wish STO had this PvP environment.

You surely did a big effort to return to something that simple doesn't exist anymore. At least for some years now.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline outlaw78

• Ensign

You surely did a big effort to return to something that simple doesn't exist anymore. At least for some years now.

You can't get online anymore?  I thought SFC III online campaign was still available through the people at dynaverse since gamespy closed and they were still up and running thru custom hosted servers?