Topic: Wow, Did I Just Dodge A Bullet...  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Wow, Did I Just Dodge A Bullet...
« on: July 14, 2015, 07:08:13 pm »
I got called for jury duty last Thursday. The judge spent over five minutes reading out all nineteen felony charges against the defendant, all incredibly awful, and a list of eighteen (potential) witnesses. I was in the group they told to come back today since I had no reasonable excuse to be excused.

They called out the first eighteen and I was number twelve, which meant that if I was picked my butt would be in that chair for the next three to four weeks listening to increasingly vile things. The only thing worse would to have to be an alternate. The prosecutor loved me and didn't ask me any questions after the judge did and I was getting really worried, but then the defense lawyer started in and I must have said something he didn't like because he sent me home. People were giving me the thumbs up on the way out. You could tell that nobody wanted to be on that jury.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: Wow, Did I Just Dodge A Bullet...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 07:37:32 am »
You could start a website on how to dodge jury duty if there isn't one already.  You'd make a killing on adds.  lol

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:18:08 am »
That was the best part, I didn't have to do any of that. It was something in my background and my negative predisposition toward a certain type of person that was the sticking point I'm sure.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 10:43:43 am »
gee, I sure hope no one here is ever looking at trial by jury, with all that "innocent til proven guilty" stuff...

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:28:13 am »
Except for the subject matter, I had no problem if I was picked, but because of the subject matter I was glad I was passed over. One way or another one side has a tough row to hoe with nineteen charges. Either the prosecution has a very weak case and is throwing everything they can think of at the defendant in hopes that one or more charges will stick or the defense has to convince twelve people that the defendant is not guilty of nineteen felonies, which seems unlikely (that they will reach consensus, not that the defendant is not guilty).

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 05:48:50 pm »
I hear ya Corbo; I've sat 4 juries but am eternally grateful that the ugliest one was delayed before it started and we were dismissed. A week of that case would have been depressing as get all. It's just taht anytime someone says "jury duty," everyone else in the room says, "here's how you get out of it." The justice system can sure be messy.