Topic: Dynaverse SFC OP Server Settings  (Read 13478 times)

Offline nebbish

• Ensign
Dynaverse SFC OP Server Settings
« on: July 28, 2015, 03:41:45 pm »
Dynaverse!! I have not played for maybe a decade?? I can't see any recent topics on this so I will post this here.

Anyway I looked up this web site again and instructions how to bring D2 back for SFC OP - followed the same instructions written recently for SFC 3 http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394297.0.html and yay it worked!! Loaded a quick test server up with latest version of OP and played a quick convoy mission with a federation FF. Reminds me of good old days very fun.  Pic to prove it. So thanks a lot to BeanSolo for working out how to get around the gamespy login.

I am looking for a better campaign file for the server rather than the default one. Just using the server to play around with. if anyone has any saved dynaverse campaign files/map or links I would appreciate that. I know very little about setting a server up.  Currently using FireSoul's SFC Materials for a decent shiplist. Any  suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe one day someone will put a serious server back up just for some fun again.  :)

Offline Vipre

• Commander
Re: Dynaverse SFC OP Server Settings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:52:38 pm »
Dynaverse 2 Campaign Maps

Have this if you're interested. Never figured out how they installed/worked myself though as the included documentation is somewhat lacking.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline nebbish

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:07:40 am »
Thanks I will take a look, it looks very interesting.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 09:59:48 am »
I assume you're still running XP?
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 10:11:13 am »
Yeah, from what I remember wasn't drafting post XP/Win7 the primary issue?

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 10:24:14 am »

You can't move on a dyna map with vista/7/8.  You can be drafted you just can't move.

Imagine if it magically works in Windows 10!  :)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:44:13 am »

You can't move on a dyna map with vista/7/8.  You can be drafted you just can't move.

Imagine if it magically works in Windows 10!  :)

Well that's a simple fix then. Just make the map one hex!  ;D

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 11:16:58 am »
Well that's a simple fix then. Just make the map one hex!  ;D

back when we were planning that turn-based campaign I was actually planning that, we needed to do use a Dynaverse server to track ship damage, was gonna have like a 10-hex map, move people with SQL, etc . . .

Offline nebbish

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:02:33 am »
Thats strange, I am using Win 7 and I have been able to move around. I can't say that it is very fast though. Takes about 10 seconds or so to move to a new hex. I have only played 4 missions so far as the Feds. I managed to move from the centre of Fed space to the Klingon border with no problems.  I have just been distracted by messing around with the server settings so have not had too much chance to play lots with it yet.

Still not tested someone else joining yet from another IP. I will do that when I manage to get a spare weekend at some point.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 09:35:13 pm »
Win 7 was the last Microsoft OS that was able to run SFC without crashing.  I'm hopeful that someone will find a workaround but I'm getting worried.

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 01:08:19 am »
I hearing rumblings of many games not working on win 10 too.... :hoppin:

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 01:34:16 am »
Oh...what...a...shocker.
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Cpt. Gordon

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 01:34:31 pm »
I have Win 7 pro and it works great. OP that is. I'm afraid to up grade because of this.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 04:32:18 pm »
I hearing rumblings of many games not working on win 10 too.... :hoppin:

I've actually heard the exact opposite.  But a good rule of thumb with Windows 10: If it ran on 8, it will run on 10.  If it ran on 7 Natively, It should run on 10.  If you have to finagle with compatibility modes... you may or may not be out of luck.  Depends on what you had to mess with to get it to run.  Also, a lot of problems with old software is the fact that most modern computers are 64-bit.  If you have a 32-bit program that is having trouble running, try a Virtual Machine with a 32-bit OS.  I know VMs are kinda scary, but once you get them working the first time they are a breeze.  If you have a 16-bit program the only way to run it on a 64-bit OS is to either Virtual Machine it, or emulate it.  The VM will run smoother than an emulator every time.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 01:55:51 am »
Case in point, I know three people who have upgraded to Windows 10 in the last couple of days (including my brother, who got in line for Windows 10 well after I did... and yet I still haven't gotten my upgrades yet... go figure) all called me complaining that their games no longer ran on Windows 10.  I asked them if they had updated their Video Card Drivers, they said they hadn't.  I told them to, and suddenly everything worked just fine again.

Microsoft made the decision, probably to save on bandwidth, to only include DirectX 12 in the Windows 10 Installation.  Any programs that run DirectX 9 or DirectX 11 simply will not work on Windows 10 without getting your drivers updated.  I would think that this would be common sense, to make sure all of your drivers are updated... but apparently not.

And yes, I do know that I can go out and get it, I have several ways of going to get it actually.  But I do want to go through the upgrade path just to see what it does so if someone has a real problem with it, I'm not going on what I've heard someone say, I can see for myself what it was supposed to do, and compare it to what it did.  If I find a problem with my own install afterwards, I have no problem doing a wipe and Clean Install.  So far I have not seen or heard of anyone going from 7 to 10... that might be why my brother slipped in ahead of me, he was going from 8.1 to 10.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 02:37:49 pm »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:54:29 pm by d4v1ks »
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 03:26:45 pm »
I thought he was talking about playing in single player campaign but that he is also working on server issues.  He didn't get into enough detail for me to give the post much thought.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 05:54:23 pm »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:54:20 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 06:27:25 pm »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:54:13 pm by d4v1ks »