Topic: Pretty interesting article on how crops can change  (Read 2308 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Pretty interesting article on how crops can change
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 01:20:43 pm »
Evolution in action.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 01:27:54 pm »
Evolution in action.

It reminds me of how grasses, like wheat, learned to manipulate human being into cutting down the trees for them.  Plants are very, very sneaky.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:08:50 pm »
How cats domesticated humans.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 08:47:16 pm »
How the wolf became a dog and then our partners.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 09:03:46 pm »
The most recent theory I've read is that the wolf half domesticated itself by raiding human garbage dumps.  They had to evolve the ability to not run or attack when a human approached to distances that a true wild wolf would react to.  Then humans finished the job.  The Russian Silver Fox project shows how a fox (and presumably a wolf) could be bred to  dog in as little as 50 years.  A lot less than once thought.  Quicker perhaps with the half domesticated wolves they (apparently) started with, the guy who started the project may well have seen results. 

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 02:55:02 pm »
How humans developed lactose persistence.