Topic: c++ vs c#  (Read 5010 times)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
c++ vs c#
« on: August 18, 2015, 05:39:12 pm »
My current requirements are such that I am focused on c#.

Some advantages for us:
1: c# changes with windows 10 net 6 and vs2015 it compiles native ans is fast
2: i have dx9c and physics in pure c#
3: still on trak for end of year
4: sfc2:eaw upgraded graphics network and works up to win 10
5: still need models
6: need to understand q3 for the sfc3 ui

Thoughts?

Dyna owns eaw so no copyright issues.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: c++ vs c#
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:38:03 pm »
Didn't we have this conversation before about what programming language to use?

How does SFC II and SFC III affect SFC IV?  Are you updating those as well?

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:24:36 am »
I dont care if you write it in FORTAN!!!!!!......get it working!!!....lol  (kidding)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 12:16:18 pm »
Didn't we have this conversation before about what programming language to use?

yes we did but in rl things happen, such as changing language.

How does SFC II and SFC III affect SFC IV?  Are you updating those as well?
no, do not have the code for iii.   easy to mod iv

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:17:26 pm »
I dont care if you write it in FORTAN!!!!!!......get it working!!!....lol  (kidding)

do no remebmer fortran.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 08:50:13 pm »

Not evil enough.  Cobol on punch cards. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 07:20:20 am »

Not evil enough.  Cobol on punch cards.

That is bad, I actually remember all of that.  FORTRAN was somewhat like BASIC except how it compared integers (.LS. for less than for example), lacked line numbers and there were column restrictions.  With COBOL you sort of had to be a English major, CMDR Hopper had to be as wicked as they come...  lol

My Assembler professor one day told the class that we were having trouble converting decimals into hexadecimal and back (well duh) so he made us write a program using any program we wanted that converted decimals into hex.  I wimped out and used a recursive function to do the math in PASCAL.  My program worked and took up less than a page.  It also brought the entire University's mainframe down to a standstill whenever my program had to convert a number greater than 100,000.  One guy used COBOL to do the same project after the professor asked us not to, it took him over 50 pages.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 09:22:19 am »
never learned cobol, only remember c# and c++, assembler on a 386 was evil, loved pascal

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 03:45:11 pm »
Can't program myself though I know somewhat about C and Basic.  Cobol and punch cards just have a reputation that has an aura of evil and psychosis. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 04:11:16 pm »
psychosis = cobol

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 05:50:15 pm »
Link to full article

COBOL comes to Visual Studio 2015

When you think of Microsoft’s IDE, Visual Studio 2015, perhaps you can be forgiven for not immediately thinking of COBOL. Micro Focus is rectifying the dearth of COBOL support in Microsoft’s newest of IDE with today’s release of Visual COBOL for Visual Studio: a software package that brings full support for the ancient language into the modern enterprise life-cycle environment.

As with previous releases of Visual COBOL, this version includes full-fledged support for the language: IntelliSense, smart editing, auto-complete, code analysis and debugging tools are all here. Additionally, Visual COBOL allows developers to mix their applications with .NET and C# code, bringing more flexibility to their COBOL stacks.

When you think of Microsoft’s IDE, Visual Studio 2015, perhaps you can be forgiven for not immediately thinking of COBOL. Micro Focus is rectifying the dearth of COBOL support in Microsoft’s newest of IDE with today’s release of Visual COBOL for Visual Studio: a software package that brings full support for the ancient language into the modern enterprise life-cycle environment.

As with previous releases of Visual COBOL, this version includes full-fledged support for the language: IntelliSense, smart editing, auto-complete, code analysis and debugging tools are all here. Additionally, Visual COBOL allows developers to mix their applications with .NET and C# code, bringing more flexibility to their COBOL stacks.

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 09:40:16 pm »
OMG, it just won't die...  lol

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 03:15:39 pm »
I will not support cobol.