Topic: Star Trek ships  (Read 42338 times)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
Re: Star Trek ships
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2015, 01:18:21 pm »
Inconsistent and stupid.

Actually, that is typical human behavior. Restrictive and destructive polices only apply to people you don't  know.

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2015, 01:58:09 pm »
The guy on the scene however as a Starship Captain is of an elite that is supposed to be trusted to do what is right regardless of orders and their career.  Picard doesn't.  Kirk did. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2015, 04:13:41 pm »
In TNG I notice that we see only once a Galaxy class, but we seen many time the Excelsior class, once we seen a Nebula I think (the Phoenix). So I was wondering why so little or none newer star ship?

I know that in DS9 when the encounter the Jemadar we seen a Galaxy class, but that's all.

Did Wolf 359 cause the fed to loose so many new class ship?

In Voyageur seasons 9 the last episode when they return the fed space inside the Borg Sphere there was many other class of ship, like the Prometheus.

I think I did ask those question many years before, I should check if I can find it  ::)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2015, 04:38:25 pm »
Why do you say that I ask bizarre question?  :huh:

I know they don't have many model made, but still they could show a bit more of the Galaxy class, the Miranda also. Since the Enterprise B model was build only for the movie Generation, after the series so we never seen any in the series. But how many of the Enterprise C where build? We seen many, well maybe its the same ship of Excelsior class who is older that the Enterprise C.

Does is say what happen to the Excelsior?

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2015, 05:53:42 pm »
What was the name of the Galaxy class the explode in seasons one or two because of the matter/antimatter container that I think open for a brief moment and destroyed it?

It was the civilization that have portal to many place , a alien probe cause the "malfunction" of the other ship, like a virus.

Data was also "hit" by it and did a system purge of it to clean his memory of the alien probe.

In TNG season 1 or 2.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2015, 11:09:49 pm »
Why do you say that I ask bizarre question?  :huh:

I know they don't have many model made, but still they could show a bit more of the Galaxy class.

It was established that in the TNG era, the Galaxy class was still relatively new, and not common.

Since the Enterprise B model was build only for the movie Generation, after the series so we never seen any in the series.

The B was not built for generations.  It was a slight modification of the Excelsior Model.  It resulted in the model being damaged to the point that they couldn't restore it so subsequent appearances of the Excelsior model had that modification.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2015, 01:56:41 pm »
If you want to know more about ships of Star Trek check out Trekyards.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2015, 03:34:36 pm »
here's a link to that site:
http://trekyards.com/

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2015, 08:57:49 am »
Has anyone noticed that the original Enterprise, and to a lesser extent, the Refit, have a unique shape to their saucers, while all later versions have a somewhat similar, bland convex shape to their saucers?  The original Enterprise was actually concave on the bottom, before transforming into a cone.

Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2015, 11:23:28 am »
The unique shape of the TOS/TMP saucer has to do with the timeframe in which it germinated.  The TOS Enterprise was made during the sixties, and has a front like a muscle car.  The later ships were in the eighties and nineties when the front ends of sports cars were sloped in the opposite direction.

Offline knightstorm

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2015, 11:33:48 am »

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2015, 03:15:59 pm »
Hated that '90s version of the Mustang, always thought it looked cheap economy car and nothing like a sports car that it pretended to be.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2015, 07:21:05 am »
TOS Enterprise was a souped up Mustang.  Now, it makes sense.  The JJ-prize had Buick warp engine nacelles and a Ford engineering hull, so all it needed was a set of white walls to complete the look.  The 1965/66 Mustang is still a cool car.  1950's cars look every bit as clunky as the JJ-prize.  No wonder I hate it.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is Archer's ship.  It looks more like a TNG ship.

Automobiles are partially shaped for aerodynamics, well, the 1990's Fords were shaped almost exclusively for aerodynamics, but they are also designed for aesthetics.  TOS Enterprise was, of course, designed to look cool on TV, but it supposedly took its shape from practical necessity.  The model makers obviously saw the efficiency of convex shape to enclose a greater volume in the post-TOS designs.  Nobody made up a story to explain TOS series design, and thus, nothing derives from it.  That makes Kirk's Enterprize a complete odd-ball.  That bothers me.

The Klingon battle-cruiser is another odd-ball.  At the outset, it was designed to have all the features of the Enterprise.  It had two warp nacelles, separate command and engineering hulls, and a big honking forward facing dish antenna.  Curiously, the warp engine nacelles of the Klingon ship were made up of 3 cylinders that were about 1/3 the length of the Big-E's nacelles.  What make that ship difficult is that Jeffries incorporated some radical flourishes into hull structures.  Making something derivative, yet different is no mean feat.  The BoP is barely believable as a Klingon design, simply because the original Klingon ship is so weird.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary