Topic: How Microsoft respects the wishes of Windows users.  (Read 5099 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
How Microsoft respects the wishes of Windows users.
« on: October 16, 2015, 03:07:06 pm »
Link to full article

Some of our readers tell us the updates have gone so far as to change personal settings and push updates they had previously removed or asked not to receive. Upgrading to Windows 10 has even appeared as an "optional" update that's automatically ticked and ready to go.

Reader Matthew Banwell is among the aggrieved PC-using folks. He sent us his story complete with a screenshot of the pushy update:

Screenshot

Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: How Microsoft respects the wishes of Windows users.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 10:01:58 pm »
The Win7 machine I use at work has had the small window every time we boot asking to do the upgrade.  On Thursday it became a almost full screen window.  Guess they think the "hint" was too subtle.  Microsoft really seems not to understand that it is NOT their computer and that copy of Windows is not theirs either. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:59:56 pm »
I don't think Microsoft could make a functional AI. 

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 12:51:42 am »
I don't think Microsoft could make a functional AI.

Its a reference to Terminator Genisys.  In the new timeline, Skynet was developed as an OS whose advertised features sound suspiciously like Windows 10.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 04:35:57 am »
Hadn't heard of that version.  Microsoft is known for copying from others, now for copying from fiction.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 11:48:52 am »
I'm using the latest tech build, and supposedly, the next build will indeed have skype integrated. It works for me, as that is what we use. well, until I just realized that my grand son who spent the weekend with me, ran off with my head set. LOL.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 05:04:35 pm »
the next build will indeed have skype integrated

SkypeNet?
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »
the next build will indeed have skype integrated

SkypeNet?

NSA-Vision.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 06:54:50 pm »
Are you seriously asking or playing around?

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 07:18:01 pm »
No Such Agency...  lol

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 12:12:23 pm »
What do you guys have against the North-Western Salmon Association.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 12:46:29 pm »

I'm actually a grizzly bear.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 03:17:22 pm »

I'm actually a grizzly bear.

Where is Bearslayer when you need him?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 08:12:26 am »
Next year they plan to up the Ante. 

Link to full article

Microsoft will automatically download Windows 10 to millions more PCs in a "recommended" Windows update early next year.

The tech giant shows no signs of slowing the rollout of its new operating system, utterly undeterred by the growing public outcry at its pushy attitude.

Windows 10 already appears as a free "optional" update for some Windows 7 and 8.1 systems, and soon this will be widened to all machines running a genuine copy of Win 7 and 8.1.

Then early next year, Windows 10 will become a free "recommended" update – meaning it will be immediately downloaded by any PC or device that automatically installs "important" and "recommended" updates.

Windows 10 will therefore find its way onto potentially millions more machines because Microsoft recommends that people always install "important" and "recommended" updates automatically.

I use a (mobile) wireless connection for my personal computers which includes a desktop (where sound was disabled when I installed a video card as Win 7 insists on using the sound ability of the card which doesn't work due to not being connected by HDMI to the monitor) and a personal laptop at work both with Win7.  If MS downloads the (3.5?gb) update to both it uses 70% of my limit for the month.  Without permission.  The desktop might not get it as I disabled the "call home" feature with a hack when it falsely claimed to be an illegal install.  I have disabled the auto update in both but don't trust MS not to bypass my settings. 

My main computers both run Linux (desktop and netbook).  The laptop at work will get Linux if I ever get this unwanted download from MS.  Both machines with Win7 are refurbished machines that came with it and I just never bothered to replace it.  The (win7) desktop spends most of its time running SETI@home and until last week spent most of the last year with no keyboard as I only needed one for the weekly reboot. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 12:59:06 pm »
Good news.  Auto encryption.  Bad news Win 10 sends the key to Microsoft.  "For your convenience" of course. 

Link to full article

One of the excellent features of new Windows devices is that disk encryption is built-in and turned on by default, protecting your data in case your device is lost or stolen. But what is less well-known is that, if you are like most users and login to Windows 10 using your Microsoft account, your computer automatically uploaded a copy of your recovery key – which can be used to unlock your encrypted disk – to Microsoft’s servers, probably without your knowledge and without an option to opt-out.

Allegedly you can go online with your Microsoft account and delete it.  But there is no guarantee that Microsoft doesn't back it up.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 01:01:30 pm »
Posted from a refurbished laptop bought last month with Win 7 now with Linux.  HD encrypted and home directories encrypted on top of that.  No key sent anywhere, its up to me to remember my password.  This weekend I do the same with the personal laptop I keep at work (also a refurb).