Topic: New Star Trek Series 2017  (Read 14742 times)

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
New Star Trek Series 2017
« on: November 02, 2015, 11:16:32 am »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:06:23 pm by Captain Adam »
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
Re: New Star Trek Series 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:22:11 am »
Well that's too bad that anyone associated with "into darkness" would be allowed near a new series. My excitement lasted about 5 seconds with this announcement.   :'(
Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:04:15 pm »
I'm pessimistic too but it'll depend on the details as they come out. It does say "new characters" and "not related to ST Beyond," so there's that.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 12:39:31 pm »
At least you will have to pay for it if you want to see it, so it should be easier if you don't want to see it. Launching it on a streaming service when you have a national broadcast network at your disposal doesn't speak to a lot of confidence in it. The advertisers will love it though; you can't skip the commercials you paid to see like you can if you DVR it and FF through.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 05:28:57 pm »
Actually, that is only if you want to see it first. The show will play on National TV around a week  or so later.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:30:28 am »
Well, if I see one lens flare or shaky-cam-IPhone shot I'll be outta there faster than Kirk after an alien chick liaison. I dumped watching Battlestar Galactica before the end of the first episode for the same.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 08:36:17 am »
IMHO, you missed out on some good stuff in nuBSG Corbo (stop after season 3 and save yourself tho), but to be fair, this next ST isn't being done by JJ so that might cut down on those tricks.

I'm more worried about the release model, making it part of a separate paid access. That's gonna limit eyeballs right there. It reminds me of the 70s "ST Phase II" that was going to launch a fourth TV network for Paramount (that collapsed before happening), and the UPN that launched with Voyager and sputtered and fumbled until it collapsed. It'd make more sense they used a existing platform like Netflix, Amazon, or, I don't know, the freakin' television network they own called CBS.

Edit: moments after posting this I came across this, from CBS CEO Moonves
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/why-star-trek-went-cbs-836710

Little new said but more of what I feared, a "we'll build and they will come" approach. Moonves knows more business than I do, but it seems to me that people prefer their TV free but will pay for Netflix/AmazonPrime, and even cable,  because those give wider access. CBS is counting on Trek to raise up it's All Access. Only trouble will come from that assumption.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:47:14 am by TAnimaL »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 11:49:25 am »
Launching it on a streaming service when you have a national broadcast network at your disposal doesn't speak to a lot of confidence in it.

Or they think that it can drive the service to success.  A service I hadn't even heard of.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 08:19:27 pm »
Depends a lot on who had the power in the making of JJ Trek, Producer or Director or someone else pulling the strings from the studio and who will have the power in the new series (and whether they learned from JJ Trek or not).
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 03:02:49 pm »
Depends a lot on who had the power in the making of JJ Trek, Producer or Director or someone else pulling the strings from the studio ...

The way it mostly works in movies/TV is a production company  pitches the idea to  a studio which then pays for it. (With ST 2009 Paramount actually approached Orci & Kurtzman which then brought in Bad Robot) A studio might muck about with notes and marketing, but Paramount seem to give JJ's company pretty much free reign; he could have opted to not direct (but obviously wanted, at least to build his resume for Wars) and Paramount probably bought Bad Robot's pitch with JJ as director since his MI:3 made a buttload of $$, and it paid off for Paramount since JJ Trek has made close to a billion $$. (That's what they learned from JJ Trek, and why they don't really care what real ST fans thought)

Now, based on his TV track record (4 shows on now) and his involvement with the afore-mentioned near-billion $$, Kurtzman's Secret Hideout production company sold a pitch to CBS for ST:TV 2017. So, it's not a Bad Robot production (yay, no JJ) but Kutzman was a part of that, and now has his own production company (and Kutzman has called himself a casual fan of ST, so, more cause for alarm).

I just want to disabuse any notion that Paramount (owner of the rights for films) and CBS (owners of the brand Star Trek) are anything at all like, say, Marvel Studios, with an overarching interest in managing the various stories in the franchise. They don't have a creative Star Trek office, just marketing - CBS is in it for the money ultimately. Creatively it's in the hands of Kurtzman. CBS has a very vested interest - their powers-that-be might just be overall: "Make it like Quantico or Supergirl"; or they might get into the nitty gritty: "Lose the guy with the ears", but it's going to be him and his company making it.

We'll just have to see what details are as they come out. Admittedly, after being burnt by JJ Trek, I'll be super-skeptical. I don't know his other shows really; never watched Alias or Fringe, gave up on Sleepy Hollow because of the premise, heard good things about Scorpion but haven't bothered yet, but my wife and daughter used to watch the reboot of Hawaii 5-0 just to laugh at it.

I like your season idea Adam; 10 years ago I had a fantasy of a Star Trek anthology - shorter season, like 13-16, and each week being a different Trek; DS9, TNG, TOS, maybe something fresh, but I knew that was just a fantasy. If Kurtzman has any sense, they'll set this ST in the 26th century, way past any [i[Trek[/i] and avoid any direct entanglements to the past.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 09:52:43 am »
Ya know , I was thinking the other day, If Michael Bay and JJ Abrams made a film together, would you be able to see the explosions for all the lens flares?
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 01:00:40 am »
Ya know , I was thinking the other day, If Michael Bay and JJ Abrams made a film together, would you be able to see the explosions for all the lens flares?

Explosions AS lens flares...

Yeah that was me...blowing...your...mind!

Or maybe it's just late and I'm drowsy...
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 04:47:51 am »
Random snipe...

STV - still better than JJTrek!

I definitely miss the Shatner-Nimoy-Kelley dynamic.  Makes even a horrid movie somewhat tolerable!

Watching TMP now.  Wow the Ktinga models are beautiful!  Lots of intricate details I hadn't noticed before...

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 10:20:48 pm »
That said, the TMP K'tinga models are amazing.

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 11:53:40 pm »
Random snipe...

STV - still better than JJTrek!

I definitely miss the Shatner-Nimoy-Kelley dynamic.  Makes even a horrid movie somewhat tolerable!

Watching TMP now.  Wow the Ktinga models are beautiful!  Lots of intricate details I hadn't noticed before...

Even Star Trek at its worst is better than SR.  That said, I am kind of fond of STV.  Part of its the nostalgia since it was the first Trek film I saw in theaters.  I'm also fascinated with cults, so there is that dynamic.  One ominous thing about it is that a few years later, Nichelle Nichols' brother committed suicide as part of the Heaven's Gate cult.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 08:05:21 am »
Wow the Ktinga models are beautiful!  Lots of intricate details I hadn't noticed before...

The Ktinga is beautiful.  Personally, I thought the model maker went over-board on the gimblies, but that model was well worth the price of admission.  The Enterprise was no pig, either.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 09:03:37 am »
One of the most beautiful models ever made.
I think they went overboard bc the Enterprise was so speak and beautiful as well. As their foe, they needed to up the ante and really make our jaws drop.

"Gimbly" is a modelling term, used to describe tiny pieces of junk attached to the model to make it look more "detailed."  I was referring to this technique in particular.  The Enterprise model, by comparison, is quite "clean."
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 06:28:37 am »
My apologies, Captain Adam.  I misread your post.  I agree 100%.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 05:23:51 am »
Bryan Fuller has been tapped as the showrunner for the 2017 Star Trek series...

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/02/fans-rejoice-bryan-fuller-named-showrunner-on-new-star-trek-series/

A couple of the quotes from him in the above linked article are troubling to me, mainly his fascination with the JJVerse.

He did work with the production teams for DS9 and Voyager, so here's hoping that he strays closer to that setting than JJ's...

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 07:33:20 am »
Well I doubt they can afford to blow up the ship every week so I wonder what they are going to use in place of a story line.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 09:53:41 am »
I'm trying to hold on hope that ST back on TV will work better than the movies, and Fuller did do some nice episodes of DS9 & Voyager, IMO.  He also ran great shows with Hannibal and Daisies, so it has that going for it.  In all fairness, his comments about JJ-verse & TNG are from a 2013 interview, not directly in connection to this new series.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 05:56:51 pm »
In relation to the 'quality of today's TV shows' comment above:

Haven't been following the Marvel/DC craze on the CW, ABC and CBS much these days (generally not home on Tuesdays, when most of the shows are on, so I miss a few cool shows), but I have to say that I'm enjoying Supergirl (CBS Mondays).  I've also caught Legends of Tomorrow a couple of times now, not disliking it much as of yet but it's just getting started.  We'll see if it hooks me as new episodes air.

I do broadcast TV, not Cable/Internet/Satellite, so my choices for shows to watch are a bit more limited.  Kind of like the Sheldon Cooper character has noted on Big Bang, I don't like to get invested into too many shows at once these days, as they can be commitments of sorts - plus I'm more of a PBS junkie than anything...

I agree though, most of the stuff is too formulaic and dumbed down (or just too silly r.e. plotlines) for me, so I take passes or only casual views of most of what's on TV these days.

Most recently, on another somewhat unrelated note, GRIT has been re-airing the (old) Rat Patrol tv show.  I used to love that show as a kid, but watching it now makes me groan a bit...

I've been catching up again on Tom Baker era  Dr Who as well.  It is nice to see some 'nostalgia' shows making their way to broadcast TV again, via all of the digital channels we now have.  Makes it easier to avoid some of the drivel that is prime time TV on the major networks nowadays...

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 09:37:30 pm »
I like Supergirl and Arrow as well.  Jessica Jones... not so much.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 04:30:34 am »
Alex Kurtzman >:(  This is a non-starter.

What is CBS thinking?  Obviously, they're reading their own promotional material, rather than doing the market research.  Believe it or not, huge companies make that kind of mistake, every day.  This might actually happen!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:55:52 am by Tulwar »

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 09:50:45 am »
Kutsman's not the show-runner. Makes a difference imo. 

I really loved Jessica Jones and feel that Tenant's character was one of the best bad guys ever, period.  And I feel that Marvel's been really smart, doing the same with the TV as they did with the movies by making each show different. JJ was a straight-up hardboiled detective show with a modern twist.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 09:41:50 pm »
I thought they kinda screwed up by playing Daredevil then Jessica Jones. Bc it raised the bar. Daredevil was really good and Jessica Jones was like, ehhhh. I really hope it gets a season 2. I haven't checked out Supergirl but bc you guys say it's good I will take a look.

IMHO none of it is as good as Gotham.  So if you only have time in the day for one show than that is the one I would suggest.  Hope this helps.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 12:36:20 pm »
Gotham is one Bat-$%!# crazy show. There is no logic in that place, just non-stop bizarre that makes a guy dressed up as a bat seem like the ultimate good idea :D

Offline Juliakic

• Ensign
New Star Trek Series 2017
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 03:51:34 am »
Is Star Trek online Free to play on console? If so, it might be enough to get me off of STAR TREK ARMADA.....what? I still play Star Trek Armada.........Yes, I know its a 20 year old PC game, but its amazing the fact that it still plays on modern PCs.