Topic: New Star Trek Series 2017  (Read 14741 times)

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: New Star Trek Series 2017
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 09:53:41 am »
I'm trying to hold on hope that ST back on TV will work better than the movies, and Fuller did do some nice episodes of DS9 & Voyager, IMO.  He also ran great shows with Hannibal and Daisies, so it has that going for it.  In all fairness, his comments about JJ-verse & TNG are from a 2013 interview, not directly in connection to this new series.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 05:56:51 pm »
In relation to the 'quality of today's TV shows' comment above:

Haven't been following the Marvel/DC craze on the CW, ABC and CBS much these days (generally not home on Tuesdays, when most of the shows are on, so I miss a few cool shows), but I have to say that I'm enjoying Supergirl (CBS Mondays).  I've also caught Legends of Tomorrow a couple of times now, not disliking it much as of yet but it's just getting started.  We'll see if it hooks me as new episodes air.

I do broadcast TV, not Cable/Internet/Satellite, so my choices for shows to watch are a bit more limited.  Kind of like the Sheldon Cooper character has noted on Big Bang, I don't like to get invested into too many shows at once these days, as they can be commitments of sorts - plus I'm more of a PBS junkie than anything...

I agree though, most of the stuff is too formulaic and dumbed down (or just too silly r.e. plotlines) for me, so I take passes or only casual views of most of what's on TV these days.

Most recently, on another somewhat unrelated note, GRIT has been re-airing the (old) Rat Patrol tv show.  I used to love that show as a kid, but watching it now makes me groan a bit...

I've been catching up again on Tom Baker era  Dr Who as well.  It is nice to see some 'nostalgia' shows making their way to broadcast TV again, via all of the digital channels we now have.  Makes it easier to avoid some of the drivel that is prime time TV on the major networks nowadays...

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 09:37:30 pm »
I like Supergirl and Arrow as well.  Jessica Jones... not so much.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 04:30:34 am »
Alex Kurtzman >:(  This is a non-starter.

What is CBS thinking?  Obviously, they're reading their own promotional material, rather than doing the market research.  Believe it or not, huge companies make that kind of mistake, every day.  This might actually happen!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:55:52 am by Tulwar »
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 09:50:45 am »
Kutsman's not the show-runner. Makes a difference imo. 

I really loved Jessica Jones and feel that Tenant's character was one of the best bad guys ever, period.  And I feel that Marvel's been really smart, doing the same with the TV as they did with the movies by making each show different. JJ was a straight-up hardboiled detective show with a modern twist.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 09:41:50 pm »
I thought they kinda screwed up by playing Daredevil then Jessica Jones. Bc it raised the bar. Daredevil was really good and Jessica Jones was like, ehhhh. I really hope it gets a season 2. I haven't checked out Supergirl but bc you guys say it's good I will take a look.

IMHO none of it is as good as Gotham.  So if you only have time in the day for one show than that is the one I would suggest.  Hope this helps.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 12:36:20 pm »
Gotham is one Bat-$%!# crazy show. There is no logic in that place, just non-stop bizarre that makes a guy dressed up as a bat seem like the ultimate good idea :D

Offline Juliakic

• Ensign
New Star Trek Series 2017
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 03:51:34 am »
Is Star Trek online Free to play on console? If so, it might be enough to get me off of STAR TREK ARMADA.....what? I still play Star Trek Armada.........Yes, I know its a 20 year old PC game, but its amazing the fact that it still plays on modern PCs.