Topic: warp  (Read 5694 times)

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
warp
« on: November 21, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »
warp only can provide limits of 30 to movement.  Seems to hinder.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: warp
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 02:09:55 pm »
As always Exeter, your posts could stand a bit more elaboration for clarity's sake. What you seem to be refering to is the fact that in SFC products from SFC1 to 3, the maximum speed warp can provide a ship is 30. This is one of the most basic tenets of SFB. The top combat speed a ship can reach is 30 from warp, plus 1 from impulse. No matter how much warp power a ship can generate, this is the top speed for the game. The SFB creators have rationales and explanations for this but it boils down to the mechanics of the board game that were set in 1975. This speed has little to do with anything mentioned in Star Trek per se, but has been carried through every iteration of SFB and SFC.

Since you often mention that your SFC4 is going to distance itself from SFB, there is no reason to maintain this if you disagree with it.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 02:25:20 pm »
as i reverse engineer i will try to maintain sfb, but I am no expert so I ask,

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 03:33:44 pm »
SFC4 could have an optional speed limit for all ships.

As speed approaches 100, for example, the energy needed to do so can grow exponentially, like the speed of light.

Examples are good...

An Orion Cruiser has engines that can provide 100 units of thrust. As the ship accelerates, its speed reaches 20, 30, 40, 50 km/sec (or whatever unit). But the cost to accelerate grows. It takes 100 units of thrust to reach, let's say, 60 km/sec. Even 5000 units of thrust wouldn't result in more than, let's say, 65 km/sec.

This system could be disabled to allow a simple linear relationship. 100 units of thrust yields a top speed of 100 km/sec. Engines that are damaged 50%, would allow a top speed of 50. I guess engines could be "overloaded" to allow 120 km/sec, but they would be damaged.

SFC4 might as well create its own charts. A good game can be made without copying SFB charts. Energy management(fast / fierce / protected; pick no more than two), relatively slow seeking weapons, and multiple (4, 5, or 6) shields are essential.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 03:38:36 pm »
in sfb terms, max speed is 31, 30 from wasp.  % based on chosen speed?

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 03:57:36 pm »
in sfb terms, max speed is 31, 30 from wasp.  % based on chosen speed?

That's only from a unit with a 1 movement cost. A ship with a 2/3 movement cost, for example, will only use 20 warp to go that 30, and one from impulse to reach 31.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 04:02:08 pm »
can u explain your idea in these terms

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 04:16:31 pm »
Can you explain your question in a way I can interpret it? What I noted was SFB/SFC spec. If you are using your own system it has little or no relevance.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 04:20:45 pm »
trying to make sense of sfb in what you asked for.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 04:51:17 pm »
Advanced SFB/SFC uses a fractional accounting system for power management and propulsion. This is why we have size classes of ships and other units; size (i.e. mass) determines what the move cost of each unit will be using the F-CA as a base platform, utilizing a movement cost of 1. Each unit's power curve is dependent on the energy available for movement and the unit cost of movement. Larger units need more energy to move, so a Dred, for example, will have a movement cost above 1, while smaller units than a CA will have a fractional movement cost.

Once you establish what the cost of each size of unit will be, you then need to create a power curve range for each class and sub-class of unit, i.e. a War Cruiser will have a bit more power than a survey ship, even though they might be built on the same or similar hulls. Role has a lot to do with power curve. The power curve range will then determine how much warp, impulse and reactor power to assign to each ship using the speed limit of 31 as your gauge.

Say, for example, you want the average F-NCL to have 24 warp, 4 impulse and 2 reactors for a total power output of 30. If the move cost assigned to this unit is 2/3, then at speed 31 the NCL would have 9 points remaining to use for house keeping and other uses (like weapons). Say we go with SFB/SFC specs and we say that shields on this unit will cost 2 points, life support costs 1 point and active fire control is another 1 point. That leaves five points to charge weapons, tractors, transporters, shield reinforcement etc. at full speed. This may seem reasonable on paper, but play testing will tell and adjustments will then be made.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 05:36:11 pm »
SFB
Destroyer has mass of 1/2 or 0.5
Has 15 units of warp engine power
Can expend 15 units towards movement
Those 15 units are divided by the mass
Speed = 15 / 0.5 = 30

Dreadnought has mass of 3/2 or 1.5
Has 45 units of warp engine power
Can expend 45 units towards movement
Those 45 units are divided by the mass
Speed = 45 / 1.5 = 30

SFC4 can be whatever makes sense to you Exeter. Go with that! The playtesters will give you valuable feedback.