Topic: GoG's Interplay sale... wait what?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
GoG's Interplay sale... wait what?
« on: December 29, 2015, 09:39:33 am »
http://www.gog.com/news/new_year_with_interplay

Notice that image :P

EDIT: Smaller version in a different aspect ratio, we see the bottom of the Orion battlecruiser ;)

In GoG's catalogue, Interplay is credited as the publisher of SFC1 Gold, but it isn't mentioned on Interplay's site (while other available Trek games by Interplay are). Yet they use an art asset not even from SFC1, but from OP.

This is most intriguing. Perhaps they have also obtained SFC stuff beyond the first one and are working on them?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:42:28 am by ObsidianShiar »

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
Re: GoG's Interplay sale... wait what?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:01:23 am »
I asked Cleeve the author of that Orion Pirate ship about bringing that model into SFC not long after SFC: OP was released. IIRC he said the poly count was way too high for the game engine.

Anyone else note the TMP Excelsior firing from an empty ring on the saucer? It's not a TNG Excelsior and shouldn't fire from that location in the picture.

Nice use of the Plaedies nebula and the use of a nebula for the phaser hit/explosion...
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:42:44 pm »
$2.39 for SFC Gold Edition is a screamin' deal though!  Nice way to pick up a no CD version of SFC1, if you don't have it already.

And yes, I recognized the Orion ship as being from SFC immediately, although I didn't know the full story behind the image (as mentioned above).  Thanks guys!

Some nice deals on some other Star Trek titles as well.  The 60% off deal runs for about 4 days from the date of this post:
http://www.gog.com/promo/holiday_promo_happy_new_year_with_interplay_291215

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 02:09:31 pm »
The Excelsior Class ship on the cover of OP is firing a Phaser B from that same location.  Interesting in of itself because the Federation didn't use Phaser Bs only Phaser As.  It's just a slight variation of the cover art for OP.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 02:48:39 pm »
It makes me wonder if they were originally going to use the Excelsior as the X2 ship model before they came up with the final model.  I believe the F-XCF had 4 Phaser As.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)