Topic: Hello- and can I get some help?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Rocketmedic

• Ensign
Hello- and can I get some help?
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:02:06 pm »
Howdy from Southeast Texas. I've gotten back into SFC thanks to the GoG SFC:CE, which inspired me to dig out my old SFC2 and 3. I've gotten the .isos for both, but neither will install on my Windows 10 device.

SFC2:EAW just launches the autopsy opening graphic, with no text or links when loaded into my virtual disk drive (daemon lite). I can't figure out how to get past this.

SFC3 says some files cannot be located and will not install.

SFC1 runs like a champ.

Any words of advice on successfully installing 2 or 3?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: Hello- and can I get some help?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:48:19 pm »
Hi. Welcome. I think you mean SFC: GE for Gold Edition. (There's actually a SFC: CE for Community Edition, a 2012 recoding of SFC: EAW.)

Anyway, the basics of installing SFC: EAW, OP, and CE are all the same.

1. Right click any installation file (.iso, .zip) you download from here (Dynaverse.net Marketplace) or elsewhere. Select "Properties". Make sure the file isn't blocked. If so, unblock it and apply your choice.

2. Mount an .iso with MagicIso (free version). Other virtual CD-ROM drives (Daemon Tools, CloneDrive, Alcohol, etc.) sometimes cannot read it, but MagicIso always works (it may seem to hang...but be patient). If the file is zipped (.zip, .rar archives), extract it first, then mount it.

3. Install to a directory such as "C:\Users\RocketMedic\Games" or "C:\Games". (Your hard drive's letter might something else, such as D:) Trying to install to "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" doesn't work! Windows 8 and 10, however, don't freak out about applications installed to "Users".

4. If you have no problems installing EAW/OP/CE, open your sfc.ini file, which is found in the same folder as Starfleet2.exe/StarfleetOP.exe/Starfleet2CE.exe. Look for, and save, these settings at first...

[3D]
wireframe=0
windowed=0
driver=0
lowres=0

[mouse]
hwblit=0

5. Launch the game. If it is playable, you can later try higher resolutions by changing the value for "lowres" in the [3D] section of sfc.ini...

0 = 800x600
1 = 640,480
2 = 960,720
3 = 1024,768
4 = 1152,864
5 = 1280,1024
6 = 1600,1200