Topic: Let's Talk Borg (Discussion)  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Fallen_Warrior

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • Go to hell Frey
Let's Talk Borg (Discussion)
« on: February 07, 2016, 07:33:54 pm »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:05:43 pm by Fallen_Warrior »
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline Darkdrone

• Drone
  • Lt.
  • Unimatrix One
    • Unimatrix One
Re: Let's Talk Borg (Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 02:21:19 am »
That was a long read and viewing of pictures :)

all points made are good ones getting the borg to look good ingame is not a easy task at the best of time
they always seem to flat that's why I always try too add things on to give some detail into the mesh too try and make it look more borg

the unimatrix complex is one of many I`ve done over the yrs not all make it too release
funny thing is the other day I was thinking of making a newer version of it for starpoint gemmini
as it can handle a lot of polys plus looking at they bases and outpost they got lots and lots of parts I can use
just a lot of retexturing to do and putting the model together

Out of all ships I`d say the cube is by far the hardest to do you want so much detail for it and try not to use the same sides over and over
and then add Plating on top then its even harder the first Tac cube I did took weeks just trying to get the plating right on it the one
seen in voyager

pictures you posted so far are looking great nice too see my models are still in use to this day :)

Darkdrone

Offline Darkdrone

• Drone
  • Lt.
  • Unimatrix One
    • Unimatrix One
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 09:11:07 am »
 I run windows 10 ,Gmax,photoshop cs2 I think it is and Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro

Gmax does have a habit of crashing does it too me all the time I think its gmax its self running on newer versions of windows
just make sure to save all the time with it

I do all my textures,retextures with photoshop
basic mapping in gmax then move over to Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro for the rest of the mapping
and texturing as I can see the uv maps and move the mesh parts around to map the model better

Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro I can export in few formats which makes life a lot easyer sometimes
plus its got a lot of plugins for models from other games makes porting easyer just case of working out
how to get at the game files

on a Borg note :)
was missing around earlier and used the enterprise era borg cube paste and copy its 2 times moving  it around add
other plain cube inside gives the depth we was after but it come in at 60k :( but it does give me a few more ideas

DD

Offline MajorRacal

• Lt. Junior Grade
    • MajorRacal's Micro Shipyards
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 03:21:42 pm »
Hey FW!

When I released those Borg ships the skinning was extremely crudely applied which is why they look so awful in those shots you've posted.  I chose the simpler stock plated panel textures because they were more forgiving on the meshes than the more finely detailed ones, and stretching and distortion were somewhat less obvious (although still always awful on Maw and Harvester).  I always intended to go back to them at some point, but it never happened.  The big green glowing orb in the centre of the Gyro wasn't intended to be a hard structure, it was more like an energy field - it was one of the few textures I created specifically for the Borg - try shifting the colour of the original green texture to blue and you might get a better result there - the same is also true of most of the the interior structures inside the hollow of the Maw, I think I tried to model cutting beams or something similar in there.  The Limpet was so tiny that the sprue textures of the Cube were never right on it.

MR

PS - If I recall, DD rebuilt the Tactical Star and did a better job then I did.

Offline Darkdrone

• Drone
  • Lt.
  • Unimatrix One
    • Unimatrix One
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 01:48:41 am »
that's looking pretty dam cool :)

DD