Topic: Hello there!  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Sub Commander Hyrstx

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hello there!
« on: February 20, 2016, 10:22:22 am »
New to the forums and looking to get back into starfleet command again because I've gotten into a star trek kick. I don't have my disks anymore (unfortunately) so I'm probably going to grab them from the market or what have you, but I was wondering, while I am going to get Orion Pirates for the pirate shenanigans, should I get the community edition or the regular empires at war edition of the base game in the unlikely event I work up the courage to play multiplayer on it?

Also hello, I'll probably end up lurking a lot to be frank.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:40:32 am »
Why not get both? ;)

Because of some impressive discoveries made in the past year, there are patches/updates/mods that have been/will be released for OP & CE (as well as SFC3) so that's where most of "us" wil be focusing on, so when you're looking for an opponent for multiplayer, we'll be using those.  That said though, even stock EAW/OP/3 will work multiplayer, as long as you can find a like-minded counterpart toplay against.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 10:50:58 am »
Well I was already planning on getting orion pirates just in general, it was just a choice between the old EAW and the CE version, I think though from what you said I'll get the Community Edition since it seems like there might be more people playing that ^~^

As soon as the market is working again and will let me log in, anyway.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 02:03:11 pm »
Welcome, Hyrstx.

I recommend you get EAW for the single-player campaign. The AI in Community Edition is frankly wonky. (The best AI is found in the original SFC, which has a good campaign too.)  After a hundred hours of research (or a lucky break) I might possibly be able to modify the AI so that it stops choosing to capture everything!

The current purpose of Community Edition, in my opinion, is to provide excellent multiplayer skirmishes for players using Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 10. It does this quite well.

BTW, not everyone who does multiplayer is an ace. You'll find players who are either very rusty or are new to the game. d4v1ks, XconGeneral, and I will be helpful.

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 05:27:20 pm »
My friends and I used to pass the game around in high school to install it on school computers to play, heh. Well the first one and orion pirates, anyway, we somehow missed EAW between them. I'm a bit rusty though.

I think I'll do that, but maybe pick up CE as well for multiplayer-ness, getting all three at the prices they're at wouldn't be too bad methinks.