SFC3's Star
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:01:30 pm »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:01:19 pm by Fallen_Warrior »
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: SFC3's Star
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 01:48:33 pm »
I know this may not apply to SFC3, but in SFC2 the star's graphics are not dependent on the three star entries (CY, CR, CW) in shiplist.txt. You can delete these units from the roster and the sun still appears! Looking at the code with IDA, the game uses a rapid sequence of 4 bitmaps to create that fiery effect. The model of "yellowsun" doesn't appear to be used. There is no yellowsun.mod file. Perhaps the stars in shiplist.txt allow these units to "attack" ships that get too close with its solar weapon (whose chart hasn't been found).

SFC2CE has a serious flaw in the star graphics. Random images from ships are added to the sequence! It seems like an array is being read beyond its intended capacity of 4.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
SFC2 Star
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 12:32:45 pm »
As I said in a previous post, the only time I've seen a specific SFC model start grabbing other textures of other generated models is when it's texture size is too big. What are the texture sizes of the Star's model?

I don't know. The stars relative sizes aren't listed in model.siz because they don't use a normal model (*.mod). The star's properties aren't easily modifiable. They could be hex-edited once found.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 01:51:30 pm »
Adam, bug about the sun "blinking" has been listed in the bug forum for Community Edition for 3 years.

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php?issue=293.0

The sun in OP (and EAW) is working as intended.

Offline [UFP]Exeter

• SFC4 Dev
  • Lt. Commander
  • SFC4 Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 12:06:30 pm »
I have the CE code ans will get copy of original EAW code to see if I can locate it.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 10:47:49 am »
Good idea, FW. But it didn't work. I'll try to follow the code with IDA's debugger.