Topic: Orion Pirates not responding whilst in missions  (Read 6951 times)

Offline centaurianmudpig

• Ensign
Orion Pirates not responding whilst in missions
« on: March 05, 2016, 11:41:57 am »
Hi guys,

I picked up OP a couple of days ago from the store and have been trying to get OP to work with compatibility settings and I'm not having much look.  OP frequently crashes whilst in the missions.

I installed the OP HD 2561 16_9 patch (couldn't enter my CD key without the patch).  I'm on Win 10.

I also picked up EAW CE and that works fine.

Any ideas?  Please don't say un-install W10  :P

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: Orion Pirates not responding whilst in missions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 12:14:20 pm »
Please describe the crash. When does it occur? On which mission (Patrol, Monster, Scan, etc)? What error message do you get, if any? The current advice is to not use compatibility settings (XP, Vista, etc.) for any version of Windows when playing EAW, OP, or CE.

(Glad to hear that CE works fine.)

Strange that OP crashes but CE doesn't...

It's weird that you couldn't enter the CD key for regular 2.500. Did you patch the .iso game to 2.552 and then apply the 2.561 HD patch? I don't know if going from 2.500 to 2.561 will work properly. It might. I've not tried that.

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 01:14:07 pm »
To what folder are you installing OP?

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 01:24:20 pm »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:53:02 pm by d4v1ks »
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline centaurianmudpig

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 04:47:17 pm »
I re-installed as I missed the 2552 patch. Removed the compatibility. Still crashes.
Installation folder is: E:\Games\Starfleet Command Orion Pirates (Is that a "safe" location?)

I just get the standard "<application> is not responding/working" windows message.  I can't really say much more about it as it feels random and I cannot put it down to a single action.  It's happened while engaging in combat and, just now as I retested was killed; perhaps at the point it would close the session.

I've been testing in the skirmish, so it's not mission type specific (it crashed on the 2 times I tried a campaign and choose whatever random missions it gave me).

Unrelated to the crash, I was able to enter the CD key on 2500 this time.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 05:09:07 pm »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:52:37 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 12:03:57 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, d4v1ks, but I don't think that's a "safe" folder...

Offline Tumulorum Fossor

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 12:20:32 am »
Oh, while we're at it with a thread guiding people coming back to the game with reinstalls in Win10, anybody have any recommended models/background to install with links?

d4v1ks, when you make your Ultimate Patch, consider also including some model updates!!!  You made the game look better with resolution, might as well put in models that let us show it off!

Offline centaurianmudpig

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 01:46:12 am »
So, you installed everything, and it worked?
You can open your game, start a skirmish or campaign, and when you are playing with your ship it crashes randomly?

Well it works other than how it crashes randomly when playing with my ship.
My Documents folder is also on my E drive, I may just give it a try and install there tonight if there is some sort of magic trick that says "yeah, now I won't kill your little game.  Bow down to the god that is the Documents folder"

Sometimes i also rigth-click on the game folder, select properties, and remove the read-only attribute, applying it to all folders and files.
Doing this all the SFC games work....
I gave it a try, still crashes.

Strange... that it shows that message "<application> is not responding/working". Seems like something is blocking it, i dunno.

I clicked debug after the crash this time, here is what visual studio said:
0x5E1B5237 (d3dim.dll) in StarfleetOP.exe 0xC0000005. Access violation reading location 0x2068086E.

I could not attempt to investigate any further, no like I know what I would be doing, as OP just hangs in the backgrounds and keep focus of the window.

I really hope that can help this.

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 02:56:28 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, d4v1ks, but I don't think that's a "safe" folder...
Indeed, installing literally anything to the Documents folder is downright stupid. Make an actual folder like C:\Games or something, don't fill Documents with anything that aren't... documents. Especially since accessing certain folders within C:\Users is semi-restricted in post-XP systems.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 05:53:26 am »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:52:29 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 01:57:20 pm »
Centaurianmudpig, right-click the Orion Pirates .iso that you downloaded from the Dynaverse marketplace. Check its properties. Make sure it isn't blocked because it came from another computer. If so, unblock it and apply that action. Reinstall.

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 02:41:28 pm »
Depends on your point of view.
It doesn't, actually. Anything that even resembles a system folder or a folder that system settings and processes refer to should not have programs installed unless absolutely necessary. I'm not saying it doesn't work, it's just a terrible practice and is not a good idea to advise others to do. I actually also run Windows 10, BTW.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 03:11:13 pm »
Depends on your point of view.
It doesn't, actually. Anything that even resembles a system folder or a folder that system settings and processes refer to should not have programs installed unless absolutely necessary. I'm not saying it doesn't work, it's just a terrible practice and is not a good idea to advise others to do. I actually also run Windows 10, BTW.
It is not a terrible practice. As long as the folder's attributes are vanilla, it doesn't matter. You need the ability to read and write for Starfleet Command.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 03:20:35 pm »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:52:20 pm by d4v1ks »

Offline centaurianmudpig

• Ensign
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 05:20:55 am »
Well I tried unblocking, to no effect.

Turns out this works:
[Mouse]
async=0
hwblit=0

remove the gameplay spikes.
async was set to 1, so setting it to 0 and was able to progress through at least a half dozen skirmishes without experiencing a crash.  Also fixed up some weird graphics popup.  Perhaps its worth modifying the ISO on the store to incorporate this change in the download, or at least sticky post.  Thanks to all those who helped me troubled shoot.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 10:49:34 am »
Excellent news, centaurimudpig.

When another patch is released for OP or CE we will set [Mouse] async = 0, if this isn't already the default.