« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:54:22 pm by Fallen_Warrior »
All that remains are ashes caused by neglect and self loathing

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Re: Updating SFC3
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:42:53 pm »
I have no idea.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 03:23:41 pm »
What do you mean by "fixing the shuttles"? I've done hex-editing work that gave all races a unique shuttle (instead of some of them defaulting to the Federation shuttle), the result is included in the 3.1 patch of my SFC3 Upgrade Mod, is that what you mean?

yochenhsieh

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 03:33:11 am »
We get an installer made to hold everything and make it as "idiot" proof as possible.

This way the community has a single file to download to get everything HD ready instead of having to hunt through and kitbash various mods and upgrade packs together hoping they don't break anything in the process.

Making a new "official" patch also gives the added benefit of giving a standard platform for multiplayer. As it would standardize exactly what is needed for SFC3HD
I'm not sure mix the patch with mods and call it "official" patch is a good idea.

OP has a enhancement package, is that what you mean for SFC3? Even though, the package has separate options for installing patch and other enhanced materials. When user have a problem, install game and only patch 534B is the best way to ensure clean install. Some people are confused with 534C because it calls itself a patch but in fact it's a mod.

I recommend providing user with options, instead of install everything together.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:40:08 am »
Let's imagine a player (who hasn't played in 5+ years) visits Dynaverse.net?

He sees one promoted, large download for SFC3 that includes HD resolution, enhanced textures, additional models, a combat customizer, a gamespy work-around, etc.

He also sees several small downloads for this or that enhancement, not knowing if any of them conflict with others.

I believe he will choose the promoted option rather than cherry pick from various sources.

Names are important. Call it SFC3: Unified Enhancement Patch or something similar.

Who puts the unified patch together? Who maintains it? I don't know. Probably someone who is passionate about the game. And it would be helpful if Dynaverse.net hosted the files, with mirrors elsewhere in case the download speeds are slow.

Offline JanB

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 02:31:12 pm »
So my complete SFC3 Upgrade Mod, including 3.1 patch and HD patch, plus HD backgrounds/UI, the 534b patch, some more custom scripts/missions, multiplayer support and maybe a decent config app (so people won't have to use the sfc.ini file anymore) all packed into one installer. Yeah that would be awesome, create a multiplayer standard and make it easier for people to keep track of versions. Only thing missing is the base game itself, you can't buy it anywhere, not even on GOG, and I believe event the torrents have dried up (though of course some of us happen to have a .iso stored somewhere that could be shared through private messaging).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:42:49 pm by JanB »

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 02:30:01 pm »
You can purchase SFC 3 at http://www.old-games.com/download/5587/star-trek-starfleet-command-3  My CD's were nowhere to be found and it works just fine, the also have tons of other games that are impossible to find. I have had zero issues with them.

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 04:57:46 am »
You can purchase SFC 3 at http://www.old-games.com/download/5587/star-trek-starfleet-command-3  My CD's were nowhere to be found and it works just fine, the also have tons of other games that are impossible to find. I have had zero issues with them.

That site also sells games that are avaiable for purchase by their legal owners, such as Age of Empires III, the Commandos series, Company of Heroes, Stronghold and others, which is outright illegal. What's more, you "can" download them for free, but it will hog the download on and on for ages, inviting you to pay up. It's not even a proper pirate site - it's a petty retard running a business on things he doesn't have rights to.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 11:00:24 pm »
We get an installer made to hold everything and make it as "idiot" proof as possible.

There's no such thing as idiot proof. I've been a qualified engineer for more than 30 years now and nobody's managed it yet. The Segway was claimed to be completely idiot proof and that only a complete moron could possible crash one..... Then the let George W bush have a go on one.....

Today engineers just aim for, "Causes minimal collateral damage or casualties", just in case something falls into the hands of a complete idiot.

Best safety warning label I've come across is on a flask of Nitro-Toluene racing fuel I have in the garage: "If ingested notify coroner!!".

I still reckon that there are still some idiots on the planet who'd see that as a challenge to see what it tastes like...... possibly for a wager!!

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:13:31 am »
Someone attempting to design something completely foolproof often underestimates the ingenuity of complete fools.  - Douglas Adams
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 06:44:48 am »
The Segway was claimed to be completely idiot proof and that only a complete moron could possible crash one..... Then the let George W bush have a go on one.....

Be fair to Bush.  Just after that Segway found a flaw that caused such falls when power was low and patched it.  Likely that was why Bush fell.  (Not a Bush Jr fan).
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."