Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer released!!!  (Read 9590 times)

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer released!!!
« on: April 07, 2016, 09:02:06 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

This looks damn cool to me.  Still cautiously optimistic...
 :)

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer released!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 04:53:17 pm »
The main character looks like another version of Rey.  Disney is really over-doing the crappy female characters to try to get girls into Star Wars.  The pretty little girl that beats the crap out big tough guys is already a cliche'.  Cliche's are tiresome.

It does look like a much more interesting movie than that crap JJ Abram put out last Christmas, but that ain't saying much.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 10:04:10 pm »
(I find random women-hating to be pretty much a cliche around here, along with typos/bad English, but not surprising these days.  ::)  )

I feel optimistic about this too Eschelon. The actress they use for Mon Mothma is spot on, and the Big Bad Empire leader in white seems right out of the old Expanded Universe.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 10:48:05 pm »
If the final dialogue in the movie is:

Lord Vader!  We've traced the transmission from the Rebel Spy to a corvette of Aldaraan registry!
Captain, Set an intercept course and engage at flank speed!  Commander, prepare your boarding parties I want that ship intact!
Yes M'lord!

I will be quite happy with it.

The Guy in white, I assume is Tarkin.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 08:18:15 pm »
Based on his uniform could it possibly be Thrawn?
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 04:44:39 am »
(I find random women-hating to be pretty much a cliche around here, along with typos/bad English, but not surprising these days.  ::)  )

I'm not one of these guys that went off harping about Rey being so perfect in TFA.  I liked River in Firefly.  Ripley, from Alien, was a bad ass woman that deserved respect.

The problem is that I've had real life experience with fighting women.  Young, beautiful, insane....  They're ferocious, but they're like fighting children.  You can't simply hold them, because they bite.  They'll gouge your eyes out if you attempt to hold them in a full nelson.  Even though they are trying to kill you, all you can do is just push them away, until they get tired, but don't dare turn your back!  I can't suspend disbelief when this childlike woman takes a punch from a man that would break me in half, and simply shakes it off.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 10:04:27 am »

I'm not one of these guys that went off harping about Rey being so perfect in TFA.  I liked River in Firefly.  Ripley, from Alien, was a bad ass woman that deserved respect.

The problem is that I've had real life experience with fighting women.  Young, beautiful, insane....  They're ferocious, but they're like fighting children.  You can't simply hold them, because they bite.  They'll gouge your eyes out if you attempt to hold them in a full nelson.  Even though they are trying to kill you, all you can do is just push them away, until they get tired, but don't dare turn your back!  I can't suspend disbelief when this childlike woman takes a punch from a man that would break me in half, and simply shakes it off.

It is the same with pretty much every TV or movie fight with the combatants taking hits that would have dropped Ali in his prime and shrugging it off like it was nothing. Unfortunately a realistic fight where the first one to make a mistake is the loser isn't engaging movie/TV wise.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 12:52:38 pm »
I would say that the uniform is probably just Tarkin's formal Governor's uniform, while the grey one he wore in A New Hope is something more practical, and possibly more comfortable for day to day activities, like destroying Aldaraan.

Thrawn is supposed to be an alien, which made him something of a anomaly in the Imperial Military as it is.
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 05:02:17 pm »

It is the same with pretty much every TV or movie fight with the combatants taking hits that would have dropped Ali in his prime and shrugging it off like it was nothing. Unfortunately a realistic fight where the first one to make a mistake is the loser isn't engaging movie/TV wise.

With guys as big as Silvester Stallone and the other Action heroes, one solid punch can be lethal.  The unlikeliness of a prolonged fight becomes exaggerated when one of the combatants is a cute, little teen age girl.  If the girls weren't so cute, but had big, muscular bodies with hulking shoulders, like Olympic swimmers, it would be easier to believe that they can actually hurt a man.  Unfortunately, that type of physique does not play to men's fantasies, so we're left with ridiculous characters, like these Disney Star Wars princesses.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 09:41:41 pm »

With guys as big as Silvester Stallone and the other Action heroes, one solid punch can be lethal.  The unlikeliness of a prolonged fight becomes exaggerated when one of the combatants is a cute, little teen age girl.  If the girls weren't so cute, but had big, muscular bodies with hulking shoulders, like Olympic swimmers, it would be easier to believe that they can actually hurt a man.  Unfortunately, that type of physique does not play to men's fantasies, so we're left with ridiculous characters, like these Disney Star Wars princesses.

True but the strength of a Jedi comes from the force not their physical strength.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 12:38:45 am »
True but the strength of a Jedi comes from the force not their physical strength.

If it were only Star Wars....  It's a cliche', kinda like the big, buff pro-wrestler-turned actor.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 09:41:28 am »

If it were only Star Wars....  It's a cliche', kinda like the big, buff pro-wrestler-turned actor.

True, but without cliches the worlds movie and TV industry would be out of business.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 04:59:46 am »

True, but without cliches the worlds movie and TV industry would be out of business.

Tell me how it is that Bill Shakespeare could write the same play over and over again, but it never got old.

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 09:02:56 am »

Tell me how it is that Bill Shakespeare could write the same play over and over again, but it never got old.

Maybe because he was a great writer. Hollywood keeps churning out the same movie time after time and each time it is a little worse instead of a little better.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 12:25:42 pm »
I don't know fellers' I kind of like this one more so than the Force awakens stuff.

I think it may be because of the dog fights we should see.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 02:35:57 pm »
I agree with Stephen on this one.  This movie might just end up being the sleeper hit of the season.  I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 05:19:49 pm »
To make a better movie than JJ Abrams hardly requires the greatest director that ever walked the Earth.  From the action going on in the background, the film appears to be better made than TFA, but that isn't saying much.  TFA left a really bitter taste in my mouth.

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 10:43:00 pm »
Trailer 2 is live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

I like what I'm seeing here.  Still cautiously optimistic that Disney won't screw this up...

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 07:07:07 am »
Looks good...  Getting cautiously excited.