Topic: No Missions (No Tutorials, No Skirmish Maps, no Campaign Missions) in SFC : CE  (Read 11973 times)

Offline Thomas12255

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hey, I just purchased SFC: CE from the Dynaverse website and installed the game successfully onto Windows 10.

However there are literally no missions in the game...

I can load up a campaign and move around the map but the Missions screen is never available. Also, there are no skirmish maps or tutorial missions appearing either. It's like half the game is just missing even though the files are all in the scripts folder.

I have redownloaded and reinstalled twice now with no change and also patched to the latest version.

Help please!

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Seems like your operating system doesn't approve of certain files.

Try right-clicking your .iso that you downloaded from the marketplace. Check its properties. Make sure it isn't "blocked" for your protection. Then install to a location like C:\games.

Offline Thomas12255

• Lt. Junior Grade
I unblocked it through MagicISO and reinstalled again but the problem is still there. Any other ideas?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
I don't think that MagicISO has the authority to unblock a file properly.

Right-click the file that you downloaded from Dynaverse.net marketplace. Check its "Properties" and see if it is blocked. If you unblock it, make sure to "Apply" your decision, too.

In which folder did you install the game? Are you using Windows 10?

I wish that SFC games would install and operate more easily, but with a little help, everyone can succeed.

Offline Thomas12255

• Lt. Junior Grade
I don't think that MagicISO has the authority to unblock a file properly.

Right-click the file that you downloaded from Dynaverse.net marketplace. Check its "Properties" and see if it is blocked. If you unblock it, make sure to "Apply" your decision, too.

In which folder did you install the game? Are you using Windows 10?

I wish that SFC games would install and operate more easily, but with a little help, everyone can succeed.

If I right-click on it through Windows Explorer there was no un-block option. If I tried right-clicking on it through the Magic-Iso folder explorer it did allow me to and I applied the choice. The option no longer appears when I do it now so I assume it is done.

I installed it into C:\Games and I am on Windows 10 with latest updates.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Hmm...

Open your SFC:CE root folder. Look in ..\Assets\scripts. Do you see all the missions? Met_*, Mul_*, Uni_*, etc.?

Offline Thomas12255

• Lt. Junior Grade
Hmm...

Open your SFC:CE root folder. Look in ..\Assets\scripts. Do you see all the missions? Met_*, Mul_*, Uni_*, etc.?

Yes, they're all there. The filetype is classed as screensaver.

I am also playing Starfleet Command 1 from GoG.com right now and the misisons and such work fine there and they are the same format.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
This is peculiar. Why would SFC1 work, but SFC2 won't?

The .scr files are really .dll files, dynamically linked libraries. Your computer loads them for Starfleet.exe, but apparently it does not load them for Starfleet2CE.exe.

Right-click Ski_1FreeForAll.scr. That's the single-player skirmish mission. Is it blocked? What happens when you try  to do a skirmish? (I understand what is happening in the singleplayer Dynaverse.)

Offline Thomas12255

• Lt. Junior Grade
This is peculiar. Why would SFC1 work, but SFC2 won't?

The .scr files are really .dll files, dynamically linked libraries. Your computer loads them for Starfleet.exe, but apparently it does not load them for Starfleet2CE.exe.

Right-click Ski_1FreeForAll.scr. That's the single-player skirmish mission. Is it blocked? What happens when you try  to do a skirmish? (I understand what is happening in the singleplayer Dynaverse.)

The properties don't show it as blocked. When I press the skirmish button in-game there are no mission/map available and I can't start after selecting ships/races.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
That is frustrating. Where did you install SFC1?

Offline Thomas12255

• Lt. Junior Grade
That is frustrating. Where did you install SFC1?

C:\GOG Games

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Probably won't work, but I'm running out of ideas; Try to install to ..\GOG Games\CE

And don't bother with the 2.677 patch yet. I'm trying to eliminate variables.

I've got to go. Might not be online for a couple days. Sorry you're having trouble. But SFC1 is a great game to play in the meantime. It should keep you busy for weeks, and it has the toughest AI in the series. There's got to be a solution to the problem you're experiencing with CE.

Offline Thomas12255

• Lt. Junior Grade
Probably won't work, but I'm running out of ideas; Try to install to ..\GOG Games\CE

And don't bother with the 2.677 patch yet. I'm trying to eliminate variables.

I've got to go. Might not be online for a couple days. Sorry you're having trouble. But SFC1 is a great game to play in the meantime. It should keep you busy for weeks, and it has the toughest AI in the series. There's got to be a solution to the problem you're experiencing with CE.

Still nothing :\

Offline Captain Adam

• Lt.
Hello,

Please uninstall, then place your UAC setting to the lowest possible(read below), then reboot, then disabled anti-virus temporarily until install is complete,  then install game but not in programs, like mentioned before i.e. C://Games.

To disable UAC in Windows 10.

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the User Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on the Change User Account Control settings link.
Note   Note
This will open the C:\Windows\System32\UserAccountControlSettings.exe file.

3. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

4. Move the slider up or down to the setting for how you want to be notified by UAC, and click/tap on OK.

5. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

6. When finished, you can close User Accounts if you like.

Let us know here what happens.

Adam ;)
Odo :    
"Being accused of a crime is not a disgrace, Chief. Some of the great figures of history have shared the honour with you."
to O'Brien
DS9 : Tribunal

Offline Thomas12255

• Lt. Junior Grade
Okay, I've fixed the issue by resetting my Windows 10 installation. Must have been an issue with the OS and DirectPlay.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Great, Thomas.

If you're interested in multiplayer, join the EvolveHQ SFC:CE group and download the EvolveHQ 1.8 software (the 2.0 beta isn't ready). I'll be on Evolve today.

Offline Matthias

• Ensign
Same issue, used magic ISO to unpack and then install C:\Games

No missions available. First install had NOTHING under the Scripts now it had scripts .scr and that's it. No other files are there. Ideas?

Offline ObsidianShiar

• Lt. Junior Grade
Have you tried installing and running the game as administrator, or disabling User Account Control before installing?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Same issue, used magic ISO to unpack and then install C:\Games

No missions available. First install had NOTHING under the Scripts now it had scripts .scr and that's it. No other files are there. Ideas?

Frustrating. I recommend Orion Pirates v2.563. Maybe that older game will install properly for you. If you run into the same problem with OP, we can't blame CE.

Post a screenshot of your ..\assets\scripts folder. It only contains .scr files? Neither scripts.lst nor scripts.ini are present?

Offline Matthias

• Ensign
I downloaded OP as well from Dynaverse and unfortunately it will not even install. I have turned off UAC and the frustrating part is, that I had this installed previously working just fine. I'm not sure what happened between then and now.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:29:36 am by Matthias »