Topic: Rogue One - Disney unhappy, asks for some reshoots...  (Read 2933 times)

Offline EschelonOfJudgemnt

• Lt. Junior Grade
Rogue One - Disney unhappy, asks for some reshoots...
« on: June 02, 2016, 04:45:54 pm »
http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-reshoots-disney/

The dark tone of the trailer, and the fact that the trailer felt more like a 'war film',  was the thing that had me really lookiing forward to this movie (I like Gareth Edward's version of Godzilla in 2014 btw, and especially how he told that movie from the 'humans perspective' rather than the usual 'cage match' perspective  we often see in Godzilla movies, not really related but I think Gareth did a good job with Godilla, unlike the Matthew Broderick US version years earlier.  BTW, Toho is releasing a new Godzilla movie fairly soon, 62+ years after the original, Gareth's movie was released during the 60th anniversary). 

While reshoots aren't that unusual in of themselves, If Disney is trying to make Rogue One feel warm and fuzzy, color me unimpressed.
 :-\

Offline Vipre

• Commander
Re: Rogue One - Disney unhappy, asks for some reshoots...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 12:17:54 am »
studio execs felt like Rogue One was “tonally off with what a ‘classic’ Star Wars movie should feel like,” adding that one source described it as “having the feel of a war movie.” The goal of the reshoots, according to THR, is to “lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.”

You know what that means, CGI comic relief "sidekick".
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 07:03:21 am »
Ah dang, looks like they didn't learn their lesson after the Jar Jar train wreck...

Offline Vipre

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 11:48:33 pm »
The goal of the reshoots, according to THR, is to “lighten the mood, bring some levity into the story and restore a sense of fun to the adventure.”

It might sound melodramatic but the more I think about this sentence the more heartbreaking it gets. It shows that those making the decisions have an apparent fundamental lack of understanding about what story they're attempting to tell and are striving to screw it up.

Down to brass tacks the trailer presented the movie as the story of how the Rebels got the Death Star Plans. Basically what we're talking is a special forces espionage heist film set in the middle of a war. What about that premise says "light, humorous, frivolous, fun, adventure"?

While at it do they plan to retcon, "Many Bothans died to bring us this information," to "A couple Bothans suffered muscle strains..."
Lapsed Pastafarian  
"Parmesan be upon Him"

"Dear God,
   If aliens are real please let them know that I'm formally requesting asylum from the freakshow that is humanity."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 08:01:39 am »
Part of me thinks this movie is suffering from the Deadpool effect.  Movie producers saw its success and think that is what we want to see in an action flick.  I hope I'm wrong.  But this is Star Wars franchise chance to move away from the campy space opera and into a gritty action thriller.  My biggest fear is that the movie will only succeed because it bears the name Star Wars.  As always we will have to wait and see.