Topic: SFC1 Difficulty Level and / or grand strategy mod.  (Read 4032 times)

Offline A88mph

• Ensign
SFC1 Difficulty Level and / or grand strategy mod.
« on: July 17, 2016, 08:47:38 pm »
Is there anyway to make SFC1 any more difficult? I have played this game many times and once I buy the BB, there's really nothing left for me to do, as nothing stands in my way after that.

Also, the career mode doesn't really give me the feeling of grand strategy campaign, due to capitals never being conquered, and even though the map mentions economy levels, I never see it having any impact on either side.

Are there any mods that improve on these, and if not, are they in SFC2?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: SFC1 Difficulty Level and / or grand strategy mod.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:34:44 pm »
Strategically, the SFC1 single-player game can't be made harder unless you remove easy missions (such as scan).

SFC1 has not been documented for the SFC_Editor. There are changes to the mechanics of combat that could make the AI more difficult to kill. This has been done for SFC2:OP and SFC2:CE. The Dynaverse campaigns can be edited to make supplies very expensive. Shiplists can be edited to remove overpowered fighters and ships.

But the most substantial tactical challenge is posed when your opponent is a thinking human with experience. The AI in SFC is challenging for a few weeks (or perhaps months) on Admiral difficulty level (the highest). But a moderately experienced player will dominate the AI in stock .exe setups -- a player's Heavy Cruiser can kill an AI Battleship.

I don't know of any specific mods for a greater strategic challenge. Check out the latest patches for OP and CE. They are *highly* customizable tactically. The AI in OP is more challenging than the AI in CE (which frequently refuses to arm Plasma Torpedoes or launch Missiles).

yochenhsieh

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:43:48 am »
I think play SFC1 in early era is harder than other eras because the limited ships you can choose also limits the strategy & weapons you can use.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 11:18:24 am »
Raise the BPV and recategorize them as a higher class and you will draw more powerful enemies.  Or move on to one of the later versions with tougher AI.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline A88mph

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 01:15:10 pm »
So SFC1 is more or less abandoned by the community in this regard (no total conversion mods or anything)?

Also, is there a chance that SFC2 can be put on GOG like SFC1 was?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 08:10:50 pm »
The players of SFC1 quickly welcomed SFC2:EAW. The move from EAW to SFC2:OP was slow. Most mods use OP as a starting point. There is a Universe At Wars mod and an SFB04 mod for OP. SFC2:CE 2.670 failed to revive interest in SFC since it didn't enhance anything from the player's perspective compared to EAW or OP.

GOG can't sell SFC2. Only Dynaverse.net is authorized to distribute Taldren's software. But GOG might do it anyway. Who knows. http://www.dynaverse.net/market/7-software

OP patched to the unofficial 2.563 version is the best SFC game for singleplayer.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 11:08:51 pm »
Too bad you can't see the  CE source code Tar.  I think if you and Carlos had the chance we would see amazing accomplishments in a very short amount of time.  When is that next DGA meeting again??!?

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 05:52:10 pm »
there is and it really is both simple and you'll get bored of it pretty quick.  you'll need to open the "sfc1 sfbspc13" with Excel.  change the values for your enemies by raising them and lower yours.  experiment with just altering shield strength.  you'll see what I mean when you get a police frigate that hands a heavy command cruiser it's ass.