Topic: Starfleet Command 2: Empires At War -- Patch 2.037!  (Read 48754 times)

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Starfleet Command 2: Empires At War -- Patch 2.037!
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:07:30 pm »
After a several years of hexediting Community Edition and Orion Pirates, it is time for an EAW patch.

---Patch has been repackaged on 19July2020---

Download 2.037
This 7zip archive is a simple drag-and-drop (or "select all" and copy) to the folder that contains your old StarFleet2.exe (v2.036)

------

This patch must be applied to Taldren's official 2.036 version, which 99.9% of you already have.

This patch fixes the same bugs that I fixed in CE/OP. It does not have the extensive combat moddability of CE's 2.679+ or OP's 2.564, but nobody seems to care about that feature very much. Some high-definition resolutions (up to 1920x1080) are supported though sfc.ini's new width and height variables. The default resolution is 1366x768. The width and height can be changed in sfc.ini.

ZeroTier's LAN should work well for multiplayer skirmishes. The 2.037 patch uses a shiplist that combines the stock EAW specs with stock OP specs that are EAW-compatible -- minus garbage.

This patch overwrites your 2.036 executable, strings, sprites, and specs.

Speed upgrades are 0.5 BPV per fast missile and 0.25 BPV per medium-speed missile.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:18:44 pm by TarMinyatur »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
Re: Starfleet Command 2: Empires At War -- Patch 2.037!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 03:29:18 pm »
Good job Tim.
Actions speak louder than words.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 09:34:09 pm »
And those actions are deafening...

Great job...  Thanks.

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 09:27:07 pm »
After a couple years of .exe modding for Community Edition and Orion Pirates, it is time for an EAW patch.

Download 2.037

This patch should be applied to the official 2.036 version, which 99% of you already have.

This patch fixes the same bugs in CE/OP. It does not have the extensive combat moddability of CE's 2.690 or OP's 2.563, but nobody seems to care about that feature. In tandem with the Q3_Editor,  any custom resolution can be played in windowed mode (the fastest). If you have, let's say, a 3840x2160 monitor, it should work. There is no multiplayer Dynaverse for EAW. EvolveHQ's parties will work very well for multiplayer skirmishes, just like CE and OP. It uses a shiplist that combines the stock EAW specs with stock OP specs that are EAW compatible -- minus clutter. Speed upgrades are 0.5 BPV per fast missile and 0.25 BPV per medium speed missile.

EAW is extremely stable. (I'll no longer work on CE since it has a very rare but unacceptable point-defense bug...and inept AI.)

This patch overwrites 2.036 strings and specs.

Extract all the files in the .zip to the EAW root folder. Click "Install_2037.bat" to finish the installation. The default resolution is 1366x768.

I am having problems getting the UI to scale correctly, and it is causing my game to crash. I set the graphics to 1920x1080, and the ui is half the size.  Any suggestions

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 12:57:52 pm »
That's unfortunate. Hmm, can you play in 800x600 or 1024x768 or 1366x768?

The UI doesn't stay proportional. The artistic area (below the multifunction panels) grows larger as resolution size increases. I wish it would scale properly -- the buttons get quite small at HD resolutions.

Edit: I found a small problem with the 2.037 sprites file for 1024x768 resolution. It shouldn't affect your situation, xeryx. 1024x768 has been replaced by 1280x800. The Q3 Editor can restore that value so the UI works properly.

Can another player test 1920x1080 resolution? My laptop maxes out at 1366x768.

One other thing...set your monitor's color to High Color (16-bit) instead of True Color (32-bit). It might temporarily alter other applications' appearances, but Starfleet2.exe should work best in a windowed 16-bit color environment.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:50:33 pm by TarMinyatur »

Offline satchel

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 08:58:09 pm »
I can't get 1920×1080 to work on my machine, either. (Although step-by-step instructions, on how to implement it, would be a boon.)

On a fresh install of SFC2:EaW, I apply the patches, use the editor to replace the 1366×768 resolution with 1920×1080, and set sfc.ini "lowres" setting to 5 or 6.

When I replace the resolution, I type it exactly as the example, using x instead of ×, and putting the space and comma in the same places as in the example.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 04:29:30 am »
Satchel, the 2.037 patch should overwrite the sfc.ini file. "Lowres" doesn't mean anything in 2.037. The 2.037 sprites.q3 file already has the data for a 1920x1080 resolution, so no custom Q3 editing is needed.

1. Install SFC2 from disk or ISO.
2. Patch to 2.036 (http://www.dynaverse.net/downloads.php?id=13&game=SFC2 EAW#download).
3. Patch to 2.037 (http://www.hotandspicyforums.com/sfc2-empires-at-war-unofficial-patch-2-037-t20068.html).
4. Open sfc.ini.
5. Edit the width and height entries in sfc.ini (width=1920, height=1080). Save.
6. Change your monitor's color to 16-bit through control panel->display->screen resolution->advanced->monitor (or similar).
7. Play

Windows 10 might be different. You can run a game in reduced (16-bit) color mode through the launching shortcut's properties.

sfc.ini should look like this for the 3D section:

[3D]
wireframe=0
windowed=1
zbuffer=1
width=1920
height=1080
driver=0
backdrop=1
shipstacking=1
ambientlighting=0.25
spacedust=0
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:32:33 pm by TarMinyatur »

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 01:32:38 pm »
Thank you for the help. I have been able to get the game to work at that resolution. You must lower to 16bit in properties, that was my main hang up.

Now I have another question. As I increase resolution, frame rates start dropping dramatically. It isn't my system because it should just crush this game. Is there any way to get the performance up, or is the limitation the engine itself? For example. If I run the game at say 1280x1024 I will get 60fps, on my 144hz monitor, but if I put it at 1920x1080 it will only get about 30fps.

The q3 program seems to be hit or miss. My monitor resolution is 2560x1440 (1280x720) and I would like to run the game at half that so that it is the clearest and to keep frame rates decent. I have a feeling it is too wide for the UI. Now I can change my monitor settings to not scale and can use 1280x800 and I almost get the full screen. I cannot get the UI to work correctly and wider. The bottom speed panel ends up in the middle of the display.

I also want to sincerely thank you for your hard work.  I love this game and love to come back and play it occasionally.  I just can't get into SFC3 as much
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 05:18:12 pm by xeryx »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 07:02:12 pm »
I'm glad you still play EAW.

Post a screenshot of your game that isn't working quite right. 1280x720? The Q3_Editor should handle any resolution that your hardware supports., although UI buttons will get very small.

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163394323.msg1123054943.html#msg1123054943

The game typically attains its greatest frames per second in windowed mode. I suppose you could try fullscreen (windowed=0). Maybe that would be unexpectedly better. I have no idea. Same with hardware or software scaling -- you'll have to experiment to find out what works best.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 06:14:01 am »
A solution for running your own public, or online\offline LAN, EAW 2.0.3.7 campaigns is under development.
Please check:

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163396588.msg1123054550.html#msg1123054550

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 10:52:42 am »
Thank you for your help,

I had a hardware issue that was slowing down my computer immensely, that is now fixed. I have the game running at 1080p and running everything smoothly at 60fps and even running high poly count models. Then I  had to figure out how Q3 works, but what an amazing program!, I have been fixing all the ship UI's. I was not saving the config and that is why I had the funky UI at 1080p.  Absolutely amazing, the game may not be true 32bit color, but I can live with that.

I have started modding EAW again and am very excited about the Dynaverse 2 news! I want to kick my nephew's butt at this game!  It recently dawned on me how many of SFB rules have not translated as good as they should have for this game. Since it is made as a paper game and most of the weapons are designed for close range. There are many other balance issues I have noticed as I have been going through the ships.    I was looking at the Modified EXE and have a few questions for you and wonder if these things are possible now.

I see that Phaser 1 range can be increased. Does that also increase or change the other ranges?
Can more weapons be added to this list? Such as Photons?
Can the Start year of 2263 be changed ?
Drone warheads (IV) are so overpowered compared to other weapons, can the warhead damage be reduced?

If those things could be changed, I think I could make a really good Star Trek EAW mod (not SFB compliant).

I also totally agree with you about the EAW AI, it is probably one of the better AI's I have seen in a game. Although it does pick on the human too much in large battles.

I want to thank you immensely for your work! being able to play this game in full widescreen is just phenomenal!! I can't believe I Have wasted like 3 weeks of my life at this computer...OMG

Xeryx
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 01:58:12 am by xeryx »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 12:29:46 pm »

I see that Phaser 1 range can be increased. Does that also increase or change the other ranges?
Can more weapons be added to this list? Such as Photons?
Can the Start year of 2263 be changed ?
Drone warheads (IV) are so overpowered compared to other weapons, can the warhead damage be reduced?

If those things could be changed, I think I could make a really good Star Trek EAW mod (not SFB compliant).

The weapons and systems in Orion Pirates and Community Edition can be extensively modded by the SFC_Editor. EAW 2.037 has just a few variables that can be changed via the SFC_Editor. Much work is required to segregate data. This has been done in OP and CE, but not for EAW. The StarFleet2.exe has many shared variables -- but Phaser-1 range should already be ok if, I remember correctly. A hex editor can do it. I could expand the Starfleet2.txt to include Phaser ranges and missile warhead damage for the SFC_Editor...

The starting year is troublesome. You can easily superficially change it, but the game uses a net change to calculate certain things.  I've tried for many hours to fix the treatment of eras and years in SFC2CE. The best way to delay the progress of technology is to add more turns per year in your dynaverse campaign in the beginning.

Type-4 drones are a compromise. You only get half as many as you'd get with Type-1 drones. They do twice the damage, but they don't have twice the hitpoints (6 vs 4). And an AMD (aka ADD) only needs one round to kill a large drone. I usually choose Type-1 drones vs human players. The large supply of regular missiles keeps a couple of my opponent's phasers or tractors busy as I saberdance. They never usually hit in a 1v1 situation. But in a fleet situation, eveything's different.

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 03:47:36 pm »
The weapons and systems in Orion Pirates and Community Edition can be extensively modded by the SFC_Editor. EAW 2.037 has just a few variables that can be changed via the SFC_Editor. Much work is required to segregate data. This has been done in OP and CE, but not for EAW. The StarFleet2.exe has many shared variables -- but Phaser-1 range should already be ok if, I remember correctly. A hex editor can do it. I could expand the Starfleet2.txt to include Phaser ranges and missile warhead damage for the SFC_Editor...

The starting year is troublesome. You can easily superficially change it, but the game uses a net change to calculate certain things.  I've tried for many hours to fix the treatment of eras and years in SFC2CE. The best way to delay the progress of technology is to add more turns per year in your dynaverse campaign in the beginning.

Type-4 drones are a compromise. You only get half as many as you'd get with Type-1 drones. They do twice the damage, but they don't have twice the hitpoints (6 vs 4). And an AMD (aka ADD) only needs one round to kill a large drone. I usually choose Type-1 drones vs human players. The large supply of regular missiles keeps a couple of my opponent's phasers or tractors busy as I saberdance. They never usually hit in a 1v1 situation. But in a fleet situation, eveything's different.

I have been thinking about getting OP, the whole concept of it was dumb in my opinion.  However, in your opinion, is it worth it?  Is the AI still good enough to be a challenge?

I am a fellow modder and you totally understood my points, that is appreciated.  There are certain things that can only be changed in the .exe, and it sounds like there is much work to be done on SFC2.exe. 

At the risk of upsetting true SFB players, there are a number of faults with SFB ship designs for a video game.  It is wonderful on paper, mind you. However, in the video game, the AI has many issues with power management because there simply is not enough power for the AI to be able to use systems effectively.   Sure human die hards love doing it when playing against human opponents. 

I am interested in more modding options to help (AI) gameplay. Missile warhead strength is one of these ways by nerfing the damage down a bit and extend battles.(8 and 16 damage)  I have been able to compensate the AI quite a bit, by just doubling hulls and increasing power by a few points. Now the AI has enough power in many cases to use ECM and shield re-inforcement, while being able to maintain a fair speed.

I am also curious if anyone else has noticed that PHG's seem to get a lot of criticals? Vs the same number of volleys of PH3's

I am not looking to have an SFB compliant mod. Which is one of the reasons I would like to extend out weapons ranges.  I want more (effective)  longer range engagements with phasers, photons, disruptors, etc.  I get very bored with having to always do run-ins and point blank, alpha strikes in order do real damage to ships, I basically want to double those ranges.

If OP is worth it, then maybe I will upgrade to that, if all the bugs are fixed now.

Thanks for all the advice, it is appreciated.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 04:17:50 pm by xeryx »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 12:21:17 pm »
The AI is just about the same in EAW and Orion Pirates. The AI in Community Edition is more complex but ultimately less challenging because the AI ships often decide to fly around at high speed and do nothing threatening, leaving heavy weaponry uncharged. The AI in CE is actually quite good at capturing you, which it doesn't attempt in EAW or OP. You must conserve marines in CE!

The AI is greatly improved in any version of SFC by reducing the Ph3/G range to 1.99k so that these weapons are not wasted. The AI can then shoot down those Type-1 or Type-4 missiles regardless of warhead strength instead of dying quickly as its tractors are overwhelmed.

As far as SFB goes, it is a great foundation, but mod the game however you want these days. It's 99% singleplayer anyways so it's up to you. If missiles are better at 8 damage, go for it. Let us know how it works out.

I have tested ships which have traded warp power for APR. The ships have the same total energy but they can't spend it all on movement. So there's power for ECM and shield reinforcement. But yeah, the AI is still going to get wasted by Plasma Torps once it runs out of WW shuttles. The AI can do better if shields are removed. Its habit of firing at bad ranges will cause damage to a player. The AI with FX or FH Disruptors will eat you alive if you don't take counter-measures.

Try OP 2.563. It is a complete game. Taldren overcame the AI's problem with energy management by creating the silly X2-ships. They can arm everything at top speed. But the best part of SFC/SFB is the old rule: Go fast, overload weapons, reinforce defenses...pick two! You can't do all three.

I've attached an updated Starfleet2.txt for the SFC_Editor. It'll allow you to alter the Phaser-1 chart in EAW 2.037.

As far as Phaser-G's...they are not inherently more vulnerable to stun or destruction in the code -- but Hydrans (and Feds)notice it because it represents a big chunk of their weaponry. The best thing to protect Ph-G is to have some Ph2's as padding. The first two points of damage allocation will strike the least valuable phaser in arc -- which is typically a Ph-G on newer Hydran ships. Ph3<Ph2<PhG<Ph1<Ph4. The third hit is allocated to better phaser types, usually a Ph1.

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 07:19:33 pm »
That was a really good answer! Thank you TarMinyatur! I decided to get OP, at Old-Games dot com. I purchased it for $6, but the truly great news is that for that $6 I was able to download about 30 classic games that have been lost over the years.!! I am totally stoked.

Back at the ranch!
Thank you for your hard work and the File!

The one main flaw that I have with EAW, is that most of the mission packs I have found don't work. They either crash the game or just don't load up. I guess they are for old versions of the game I was able to get the KAR pack to work but that is all. I will keep looking I suppose. I read somewhere you have like 96 missions for your game? Amazing!

If the AI is similar, then I might as well port over my work over to OP and see how that goes. It sounds like it is better suited due to customizability and having X-Tech. The mod I am working on will go into X-Ships and stop there.

Is there a better model viewer than the Taldren viewer? I also watched the video about making UI panels, very interesting! Not sure if I want to go that far yet. I like working on gameplay stuff, like AI and such. Since I can't mess with AI in this game, I will have to settle for getting the AI to use its resources. I spent many years in the Navy and I am very familiar with ship combat. I feel I have worked on many solutions for the Federation. I think they would have fixed many of the issues that plagued their early designs. Hopefully, I have done this logically and made good improvements that do not unbalance the game. I will find out how good once I start working on the Klingons and fighting the Federation. I am keeping with the spirit of SFB though because I played it on paper for many years along with BattleTech.

Are there better explanations of the values in files besides ship edit, and some of the old campaign modding guides?  I am surprised you guys have not made a better Ship edit utility that uses Q3's Ui's.

The ranges aren't terrible with SFB rules, I just want to improve them a bit for the video game, Maybe 1.5x the range, 2x is probably a bit too much. How important is using the .99 in your ranges? Is it something to AI needs to be correct? or is that something coming from the SFB rules?

I am curious, is there a utility tool out there for designing SFB ships? Battletech has one for mechs.

Are you guys sure that OP will not run under 32-bit graphics? because when I installed it today, before your patch, it did run and I did not change the way it is started and it ran in full screen.

Back to Ph3 I was actually referring to the damage they cause, it seems they are more prone to scoring criticals than ph3's. I think I will test this further as I play.

Again thank you for the help and advice I will see you guys around!

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 08:29:29 am »
Is there a better model viewer than the Taldren viewer?

Is it too small for you?
Check out this link to see how we solved that problem.

There is also another version of the viewer here (SFC2EDv2).

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 08:32:14 am »
Are you guys sure that OP will not run under 32-bit graphics?

Yes, we sure.
In hardware mode, the game only runs in 16 bit color mode.  :)

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 06:30:17 pm »
Are there better explanations of the values in files besides ship edit, and some of the old campaign modding guides?

Which entries would you like more info on? Most are obvious in what they represent but a few are not. Some are ignored by the .exe (e.g. security, ADD6, ADD12).

The ranges aren't terrible with SFB rules, I just want to improve them a bit for the video game, Maybe 1.5x the range, 2x is probably a bit too much. How important is using the .99 in your ranges? Is it something to AI needs to be correct? or is that something coming from the SFB rules?

SFB is of course stuck with hexes, unless you use the minatures rules. So 1.5 hexes doesn't make sense in SFB. But in SFC, the convention has been to extend all SFB-based integers to include the 0.99k portion. So range 8 is really 8.99k. A range-3 ESG reaches to 3.99k. It works. The AI doesn't wait until range 8.00k to fire overloads. It'll fire at 8.99k.

I am curious, is there a utility tool out there for designing SFB ships? Battletech has one for mechs.

I've not seen one. We use Ship Edit for SFC. I used a pencil and paper to create some unofficial SFB ships 26 years ago.

Back to PhG I was actually referring to the damage they cause, it seems they are more prone to scoring criticals than ph3's. I think I will test this further as I play.

A PhG can do approximately 15 damage up close (if all four pulses are fired together). Naturally they will cause more criticals than a Ph3. But will a 1xPhG do more criticals than 4xPh3? I don't know. That's a good experiment. The only weapon that had specifically reset the Damage Allocation Chart was the Plasmatic Pulsar Device (PPD). This was modified a long, long time ago to treat PPD volleys as normal incremental damage. The argument was that 2xPPD should not reset the DAC 8 times when fired together! The two weapon pulses should be combined with any other damage (phaser, asteroid dust, ESG, etc.) on each of those 4 opportunities to allocate damage. This does not follow SFB, but the SFC players (>3000 at that time) felt it was ok and it made sense to them. The I-CC and I-CS were pretty darn tough without a preferential DAC effect. I wouldn't know how to change this with a hex editor. I'd probably need C++ source code.

Offline xeryx

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 07:54:33 pm »
TarMintaur You are full of good info!  I will definitely take your advice.

After looking at the exe, I am very excited and happy!! I should be able to make a pretty good generational mod with the ability to make the game work fairly for all generations of ships!  SSD's power allocations are gonna have to be reworked and will not comply.  I also think I am gonna have to increase maximum speed to allow for X-ships.  I can keep the TMP ships as the middle ground then swing on either side depending on the era of the ship.

I have a question on sensors, they appear to act as an accuracy base, is that correct?

Besides the probes and shield generators, are there any other "hidden" energy costs?

If you know of any other useless values like Min crew, Deck crew, Cargo, Stealth ecm..etc?
Special sensors do not work correct? 

Can I set drone control to whatever number I want? and the game will recognise it?

In Missions scripts in general the just grab ships by bpv right?  Is it safe to delete the reserve ships from the shipslist?

I was looking at the Exe and is there a shield generator size (5) missing or is ship edit wrong (6)?

Is there a better model viewer than the Taldren viewer?

Is it too small for you?
Check out this link to see how we solved that problem.

There is also another version of the viewer here (SFC2EDv2).

Thank you d4v1ks! the link seems to be broken?

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 09:29:52 pm »

1. I have a question on sensors, they appear to act as an accuracy base, is that correct?

2. Besides the probes and shield generators, are there any other "hidden" energy costs?

3. If you know of any other useless values like Min crew, Deck crew, Cargo, Stealth ecm..etc?
Special sensors do not work correct? 

4. Can I set drone control to whatever number I want? and the game will recognise it?

5. In Missions scripts in general the just grab ships by bpv right?  Is it safe to delete the reserve ships from the shipslist?

6. I was looking at the Exe and is there a shield generator size (5) missing or is ship edit wrong (6)?

1. Sensors do not affect weapon accuracy until they are severly damaged, showing "No Lock" on the targeting reticle (press F10 or F11). The effective range is twice the true range when this occurs. Sensors and scanners share an icon in the repair panel. One spare part will fix all sensor and scanner damage fairly quickly. Severly damaged sensors will cause missiles to lose tracking and vanish.

2. "Other" energy costs include: transporters (1 point per 5), wild weasels (0.5 each), deep scan (3), erratic manuevers (6 for a CA), attack probes (1), fire control scanners (usually 1).

3. Special Sensors do nothing in SFC. They cannot absorb damage. Stealth bonus, security, mech tractors, barracks, nuclear space mine, ADD_6, and ADD_12 are ignored too in shiplist.txt. Cargo is very important. It acts as padding when a ship is damaged.

4. I think the acceptable range of Drone Control values is from 0 to 12. You can  try 13+, but I don't think it works properly.

5. Most scripts don't care about a specific shiplist. Some of the campaign scripts that are part of the story might require certain vessels. But anything like Met_Patrol.scr will just pull something by BPV or hull type.

6. Shield generator costs are based on SFB size class: 1 (Bases), 2 (Dreads), 3 (Heavy and Light Cruisers), 4 (Destroyers and Frigates), 5 (PF's aka Fast Patrol Craft). The units with size class 5 have free shield generators as per SFB rule, that's why the cost is shown as zero in SFC_Editor. You can give PF's a shield cost greater than zero if you want to. Size class 6 would represent shuttles, which lack shields.