Topic: How did we go from the Martian to this!  (Read 4679 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
How did we go from the Martian to this!
« on: November 05, 2016, 11:48:47 am »
I went to see Dr. Strange last night, and saw this gem in the trailers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFjJ7Itetgk

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: How did we go from the Martian to this!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 03:45:53 pm »
Looks like someone read their Heinlein.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 09:29:17 am »

Yeah, that is very much like something he would have written. It is nice to see that at least one writer and director seems to appreciate classic sci-fi.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 07:36:25 pm »
Apparently they are redoing Starship Troopers and this time say they are going to stick closer to the book. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Brush Wolf

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:38:40 am »
Apparently they are redoing Starship Troopers and this time say they are going to stick closer to the book. 

I heard about that. They couldn't do a worse job as about the only things the Verhoeven version had in common with the book was the name and bugs.
I am alright, it is the world that is wrong.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 12:36:29 pm »
I think that they really need a miniseries or full fledged TV show to do it justice.  Same for most major SciFi.  Hard to get the depth in a 90 minute movie. 

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 09:20:26 am »

Yeah, that is very much like something he would have written. It is nice to see that at least one writer and director seems to appreciate classic sci-fi.

No, this POS looks more like some poorly written teen drama meant to cash in on the Mars craze, rather than some homage to classic scifi.

I heard about that. They couldn't do a worse job as about the only things the Verhoeven version had in common with the book was the name and bugs.

Well, they did have