Topic: Warning... SFC 4 is NOT in production t this time.  (Read 13359 times)

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Warning... SFC 4 is NOT in production t this time.
« on: March 24, 2017, 08:12:39 pm »
As the subject line states.  SFC 4 is not in production and hasn't been for some time.  A moderator can delete this thread if and when this project is picked back up.  Don't hold your breath...

Offline FA Frey XC

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Captain
    • XenoCorp.Net
Re: Warning... SFC 4 is NOT in production t this time.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:03:20 am »
What was the point of this thread? Just being a jerk?

Actually, I've just renewed the SFCIV.COM domain name.

But yes, Javora, don't hold your breath.

Regards,

Frey
Vice President of Technology,
Dynaverse Gaming Association
Owner, CEO XenoCorp Inc.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 02:38:55 pm »
No.  And that post was a little harsher than I intended.  But a couple of people here and the other place has asked about this project.  I don't think it is fair to get people's hopes up on a project that has seen no activity in over a year.  Thus the warning so that everyone is on the same page.

Offline Zantrill

• Ensign
Re: Warning... SFC 4 is NOT in production at this time.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 04:29:12 am »
Hi... can yall plez get the game off the ground? Or can you guys plez get back to work on it? I don't see SCFIV.com up. What's he deal? No employees? Plez generate money by putting all 4 of the game versions up on steam and GOG. Is there greedy people? Stop it! SFC3 was bad... SFC:OP was the best.. build on that... in fact, leave it the same as OP... just give better graphics and re-market .. period. done. simple. We all just want to be at the helm again with good friends and good clans and no M-Quakes.  :smitten:

and seriously... who's foolish Idea is it to put 5 million questions out there just to post on Dynaverse? Grow up...

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:04:33 pm »
to hell with sfc4  just give us the multiplayer code so people like carlos can get the d2 OP back up and running
with new computers.. diablo2 lod just released a patch to fix compatibility and that game is from 2001 like OP  im sure just the multiplayer code rework would not cause any trouble for dnet or paramount or who ever d.net is affraid of pissing off .. in my opinion the reworking the network code to fix compatiblity should be the project not making sfc4...

yea i know the source code is for eaw  but op and eaw are the same as far as the network code is concerned

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:31:24 pm »
Bring on SFC4!   Gimme 10v10 PvP with scouts and stuff and a real grand strategic game.

Make it so.
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 03:26:44 pm »
NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN  YOU CAN GIVE THAT PIPE DREAM A REST..

renewing the domain name SFCIV.com is meaningless at this point and time

fix the compatiblity problem so  new dx dlls and new os  (7-10) will run in dynaverse 2 which is both in the network code .. get the dynaverse 2 back up and running should be the only priority at this point .. if they (d.net) choose to keep the network code to them selves and dont  even try to get the game back up and running then i say give the code back to whom d.net got it from and just play startrek online...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:04:07 pm by Tiberius »

Offline Zantrill

• Ensign
Re: Warning... SFC 4 is NOT in production at this time.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 05:02:52 pm »
I agree with Tiberius

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 02:34:09 pm »
NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN  YOU CAN GIVE THAT PIPE DREAM A REST..

You will have to pry my crackpipe from my cold, dead hands.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:30:42 pm by FPF-DieHard »
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline jayvt3

• Hot and Spicy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 01:34:40 am »
I think, to be bluntly honest, SFC4 depends on two things, time and money.  time to do all the code writing voodoo and money to afford the time, checking with legal matters pertaining to copyrights and buy the chickens so as the code writing voodoo goes well.

so Frey, could you give us a brief breakdown of costs and expenditures?

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 03:50:29 pm »
What is the point?
SFC4 would still not work with  windows 7-10 .. fix the compatability issue first get the game  (OP DYNAVERSE 2) running then work on building something else down the road.. Fixing the compatability issue does not have any legal issues to attend with, its just  network re-coding a small patch to an existing game ..the source code d.net has is the same network code that OP uses with some tweeking it can be used to fix the compatibility issue with windows 7-10 to make the dynaverse work again...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:00:46 pm by Tiberius »

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: Attention... SFC 4 is NOT in production at this time.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 04:39:15 pm »
Odd. Last year I played on Farfarer's Dynaverse server. Windows 7, Orion Pirates 2.563, no compatibility mode selected. I played a few missions and was able to draft and be drafted into missions. Other players may have had Win10. I don't know. But we certainly didn't have XP or Vista or virtual machines running. I'm sure some players will not be able to connect for unknown reasons. It would be different if we all had identical consoles (XBox360 or PS3 or whatever) and identical network devices. But with PC gaming, it can surely be frustrating.

OP 2.564 and an all-in-one Launcher will make this process easier, although not flawless. There may never be an SFC4, but there will be a 2.564 unless Carlos and I retire from our SFC hobby. Look for a new Orion Pirates patch this summer.

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 04:58:25 pm »
there is still a ton of lag moving from hex to hex so no  the 2564 patch does not fix the issues... compatibility issues between the current dx.dlls and windows 7-10 os remain and cause the lag
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:01:44 pm by Tiberius »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 06:02:40 pm »
there is still a ton of lag moving from hex to hex so no  the 2564 patch does not fix the issues... compatibility issues remain.

I posted a video about the SFC Launcher a few days ago.
But today, I made another video to demonstrate the speed of access once more, and how the HEX MOVING can be tweaked to be FASTER !!

https://youtu.be/P5b0mJJ8tsE
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 06:03:24 pm »
this thread has nothing to do with your launcher playing a lan  is not the same as playing d2 over the internet

p.s
running a server with a virtual machine is not the same.. also just bouncing around does not test anything ..start doing missions the lag increases over time ive tested this for over and hour or two not for just a couple of mins...

if you truly dont believe me ask frey to host a server using your 2564 patch and you will see the issue quick the problem is in the network code the game calls for old dlls and old os
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:14:55 pm by Tiberius »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 06:16:34 pm »
running a server with a virtual machine is not the same.. also just bouncing around does not test anything ..start doing missions the lag increases over time ive tested this for over and hour or two not for just a couple of mins...

I believe in you.
But that is how the server and clients work. There is nothing we can do about it.
Apart from that, playing in a LAN with the SFC Launcher surely has better ping...

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 06:18:09 pm »
there is plenty you can do by looking at the source code (the network part only) you will be able to find the strings  between the server and client that call for the old dx.dlls and the old os  this is what needs to be modified to get the d2 back up and running  with the  new dx.dlls and windows 7-10

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:38:10 pm by Tiberius »

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 06:36:27 pm »
there is plenty you can do by looking at the source code (the network part only) you will be able to find the strings that call for the old dlls and the old os  this is what needs to be modified to get the d2 back up and running  with the  new dx.dlls and windows 7-10

Yes, changing the network code to DirectX 8 at least, would have solved the need to redirect ports in a router for example (if i recall correctly...)

(...)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:34:17 am by d4v1ks »

Offline Tiberius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 06:40:16 pm »
d.net has the source code (network part) and the source code for the d2 servers they have everything you need to get d2 back up and running if we could get them to let YOU look at ( the network part) we may get the d2 back up and running this is why i said there is no point in sfc4 until this issue is solved..

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 06:58:49 pm »
d.net has the source code (network part) and the source code for the d2 servers they have everything you need to get d2 back up and running if we could get them to let YOU look at ( the network part) we may get the d2 back up and running this is why i said there is no point in sfc4 until this issue is solved..

That will not happen.

(...)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:36:36 am by d4v1ks »